Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
Local time: 20:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 30, 2012

Hi there,

I have been using across for quite a while now, and haven't had a problem. I purchased a laptop with Windows 8 and I can't install across.

First of all, it doesn't recognize MS Office 2010.
I try to continue and the SQL server Express installation fails. So, it won't continue and install.

I was thinking to migrate my systems to this new PC in this christmas vacation. However, I am beginning to consider other CAT tools now.

Is
... See more
Hi there,

I have been using across for quite a while now, and haven't had a problem. I purchased a laptop with Windows 8 and I can't install across.

First of all, it doesn't recognize MS Office 2010.
I try to continue and the SQL server Express installation fails. So, it won't continue and install.

I was thinking to migrate my systems to this new PC in this christmas vacation. However, I am beginning to consider other CAT tools now.

Is there anyone who has managed to install Across 5.5 or 5.3 or 5.0 on Windows 8?
If so, Could you please share your experiences and enlighten me?

Thanks anyway.
Collapse

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nearly Solved... Dec 31, 2012

I figured that Across doesn't support 64-bit Office. So I installed a 32-bit Office and office software recognization is solved.

Uninstalled everything related to SQL 2008 in "Add/Remove Programs"

Now the problem appears right after the server settings. "Failed to query server version. ..."

I will solve that too...

[Edited at 2012-12-31 00:32 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
dot net 3.5 SP1 / 4.0 Dec 31, 2012

Hi Metin,

I don't use Across. No way! But checked online documentation, Windows 8 and Office 2010 are supported. But check your dot net versions.

http://www.across.net/documentation/SystemRequirements_en.pdf

For the deployment of the MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express), Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 must be installed. MS SQL Server 2012 requires the installation of Microsoft Framework .NET 3.5 SP1 and 4.0.

http://www.across.net/documentation/QuickStart_PE_v55_en.pdf

• Operating system: MS Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 with the latest service packs
• Applications: MS Internet Explorer 8.0, 9.0 or 10.0 (including all latest patches)
For the deployment of the MS SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (see below), Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is required. This software is included in the Across package and is installed automatically during the installation of the Across Personal Edition, if needed. MS Office: To process the supported document formats, Across does not require the corresponding programs to be installed. However, the MS Office need to be installed for the following functions and processes when processing Office documents:
MS Office 2000, XP or 2003: checking in/out Office documents, creating previews, using Office spell-check as well as editing/translating RTF and TXT documents
MS Office 2007 or 2010: creating previews, using Office spell-check as well as editing/translating RTF and TXT documents

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
framework 4.5 :) Dec 31, 2012

Thanks Selçuk,

Well, in the same documentation, it states that it will install if it is not present. I checked and framework 4.5 is installed.

Thanks again. I need to go to bed now. Tomorrow will be an early day. Take care for the moment. If I can solve it I will report it here.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Across on Windows 8 Dec 31, 2012

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:
Is there anyone who has managed to install Across 5.5 or 5.3 or 5.0 on Windows 8?
If so, Could you please share your experiences and enlighten me?

It took a long time, but I did manage to install Across 5.5 on Windows 8 and I documented the process in the following video:

http://youtu.be/zT4x3xGUa_U?hd=1

This was with 32-bit Windows 8 (running in a virtual machine on my MacBook Air).

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
.NET 4.5 part of Windows 8 Dec 31, 2012

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:
Well, in the same documentation, it states that it will install if it is not present. I checked and framework 4.5 is installed.

.NET FrameWork 4.5 is part of Windows 8, so there's no need to install it on a Windows 8 system. However, older versions of .NET (eg. 3.0 and 3.5) are not necessarily installed. But AFAIK the Across installation packages includes the .NET version(s) it needs and it will install them if necessary.

Having .NET 4.5 won't help you if an application needs an older version. This is why you can have several versions installed side-by-side.

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Framework 4.0 is already part of the OS Jan 1, 2013

Dear Dominique,

I have watched your video and you haven't encountered any problems during the installation process. However, I have a few

Now, there is a problem with the sql again. "sql server can not be found"

I can't change my OS into 32-bit. It wil be a loss of 8 GB of RAM. I have to find the ways to install and work with it.

Otherwise, I will have to transfer all my work
... See more
Dear Dominique,

I have watched your video and you haven't encountered any problems during the installation process. However, I have a few

Now, there is a problem with the sql again. "sql server can not be found"

I can't change my OS into 32-bit. It wil be a loss of 8 GB of RAM. I have to find the ways to install and work with it.

Otherwise, I will have to transfer all my works to Trados. Thanks a lot for your inquiry.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
64-bit Windows 8 Jan 1, 2013

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:

Is your problem specific to 64-bit Windows 8? I was able to install Across 5.3 on top of 64-bit Windows 7 1.5 years ago. I could try to set up a 64-bit Windows 8 virtual machine in order to test it with Across 5.5.

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:
Otherwise, I will have to transfer all my works to Trados.

Trados would indeed provide a similar experience as Across in terms of bloatware (hundreds of megabytes to download and several gigabytes used up once installed) , but you may also want to consider a leaner solution like memoQ, which incidentally includes a 64-bit executable.

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados installed without any problems. Jan 1, 2013

Dear Dominique,

Installation of Trados Studio 2009 showed no problems. It works now.I checked it again after all the things I have prformed to install Across. Still no problems.

Across installs now but it doesn't manage to communicate with SQL server. I am beginning to think that the paths are not compliant. As Across installs itself into "Program files (x86), it may require the sql and all other stuff to be under (x86).

At the final stage of installatio
... See more
Dear Dominique,

Installation of Trados Studio 2009 showed no problems. It works now.I checked it again after all the things I have prformed to install Across. Still no problems.

Across installs now but it doesn't manage to communicate with SQL server. I am beginning to think that the paths are not compliant. As Across installs itself into "Program files (x86), it may require the sql and all other stuff to be under (x86).

At the final stage of installation it says "SQL server can not be found" Just like it says when 64 bit MS Office was not found. Installation of 32 bit Office solved that part.
I'll try to uninstall Norton Internet Security. Maybe the absence of a firewall may solve it.

I'll be back
Collapse

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalled Norton Jan 1, 2013

Uninstalled Norton and now it says "Login failed for user sa".

I will try to uninstall everything related to Across including SQL, Framework.., and then I will start from the beginning.

Started installation from the beginning. But once again it failed.

I got stuck at the "Across setup wizard".

It keeps saying "SQL server can not be found" or "login failed". Anyone
... See more
Uninstalled Norton and now it says "Login failed for user sa".

I will try to uninstall everything related to Across including SQL, Framework.., and then I will start from the beginning.

Started installation from the beginning. But once again it failed.

I got stuck at the "Across setup wizard".

It keeps saying "SQL server can not be found" or "login failed". Anyone, any ideas?

[Edited at 2013-01-01 14:34 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Services Jan 1, 2013

Check if Services > SQL Server (Across) is running or not?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Office Jan 1, 2013

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:

I didn't say Trados wouldn't work, only that it's bloatware like Across, ie. it needs several gigabytes worth of files in order to perform the same tasks other software can handle with just 100-200 megabytes. So let's say that Trados is slightly smaller bloatware that at least works

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:

At the final stage of installation it says "SQL server can not be found" Just like it says when 64 bit MS Office was not found. Installation of 32 bit Office solved that part.

I didn't even know Office was a compulsory requirement for Across. When I installed Across 5.3 on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine, I had 64-bit Office 2010 and it didn't seem to cause problems.

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SQL services Jan 1, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Check if Services > SQL Server (Across) is running or not?

SQL Server Agent$Across - stopped
MSSQL$Across - working
SQL Server Browser - working

When I try to start SQL Server Agent$Across it fails. I made it Automatic from the "Services".

I still keep getting the same error messages.

Metin ÖZTÜRK
Metin ÖZTÜRK
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GBs are no problem with this new machine. but costomers will be :) Jan 1, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I didn't say Trados wouldn't work, only that it's bloatware like Across, ie. it needs several gigabytes worth of files in order to perform the same tasks other software can handle with just 100-200 megabytes. So let's say that Trados is slightly smaller bloatware that at least works

Loosing a few gigabyte is not a problem.

I didn't even know Office was a compulsory requirement for Across. When I installed Across 5.3 on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine, I had 64-bit Office 2010 and it didn't seem to cause problems.

It is not compulsory for installation but it is for using.

Maybe it is not a problem with windows 7. I will look into this problem for a week now. And if I can not still install, I may purchase a SSD and install windows 7 pro, then continue.

However, I would like to keep up to date. Therefore, I will struggle to operate on windows 8.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If you come up with more ideas, I will certainly consider.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
64-bit Windows 8 vs. Windows 7. Jan 1, 2013

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:
Loosing a few gigabyte is not a problem.

My main working system is an ultrabook with 8 GB and a 128 GB SSD in the 1.8" form factor. This means every gigabyte counts! I could upgrade it to 256 GB (maximum size in 1.8"), but I'll probably get a new one next year, so I'll try to cope with 128 GB.

Metin ÖZTÜRK wrote:
Maybe it is not a problem with windows 7. I will look into this problem for a week now. And if I can not still install, I may purchase a SSD and install windows 7 pro, then continue.

However, I would like to keep up to date. Therefore, I will struggle to operate on windows 8.

I'm downloading the 64-bit trial version of Windows 8 Enterprise as we speak. I'll then be able to test Across 5.5 installation in the same environment as you, but starting from scratch.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't install Across on Windows 8!!!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »