Thread poster: 2nl (X)
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:48
German to Greek
+ ...
Bravo, Across! Apr 19, 2016

You don't have to pay anything if you are working on client projects one by one.

You only need to upgrade to premium if 1) you want to work on your own projects, 2) if you want to work on projects for multiple clients simultaneously.

I think this is the most original idea any CAT developer has come up with.
Such creativity should rather be used to make the software a little less counter-productive.

Agris Koppel
Agris Koppel  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:48
English to Estonian
+ ...
Across 6.3 is failing Apr 21, 2016

Giia Weigel wrote:

... you are absolutely certain that you have plenty of time to work out all the glitches they might have. I ran into trouble with activation, could not get back to old version, could not activate the new one and am now sitting back and wasting time because out of 10 times I have reached out for help, I have gotten one response (two times the same one), that is of no help.

Like someone else here says, perhaps it's time to look for another tool. Preferably one that comes with good enough customer service!!!

I do agree with Giia, as I have tried to solve this activation/reactivation problem several times and Across Help is just useless. There must be compatibility problems with Windows 10, but they do not admit it. Also, I think this is not normal nowadays that they insist to switch off firewalls and antivirus for proper installing and maybe even using the programme.
I think they will face problems with big clients as well, as it seems, that their server editions are unstable too. My client has been making restarts at least once a week during last 6 months (even they still use 6.0 today). As they will implement 6.3 in May, I will loose all Across projects, but I hope they will switch more projects to SDL or any other CAT soon.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
nhceviri
nhceviri
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Personal edition / Basic edition/ Free edition for students (Did I understand correctly?) Jul 8, 2016

Hello everyone,

I think that your comments have already answered some of my questions. But again, I just wanted to make sure that I understood correctly them. Thank you so much in advance.

1- First of all, The Across Personal Edition - the former standalone version- was always free of charge and never chargable, wasn't it? Also, it allowed the users to get target documents checking them out, right?
Now, the Basic Edition replaced The Across Personal Edition (sta
... See more
Hello everyone,

I think that your comments have already answered some of my questions. But again, I just wanted to make sure that I understood correctly them. Thank you so much in advance.

1- First of all, The Across Personal Edition - the former standalone version- was always free of charge and never chargable, wasn't it? Also, it allowed the users to get target documents checking them out, right?
Now, the Basic Edition replaced The Across Personal Edition (standalone version). I mean, the Basic Edition is also always free of charge for everyone. But the most important difference is that it does not allow the user to check out, isn't it?

2-By the way, does anyone have an idea about the free Across for students? For example, do you know whether the Personal Standalone Edition - the former one- and the free Across for students have the same features in the past or not? For example, did both of them allow users to check out?
Now, in what ways is Across Translator Basic Edition different from the free Across for students? Does the one for students allow the users to get target documents?

3- While using Basic Edition, it is not possible for anyone to view my tasks because it is single user environment like Personal Edition, isn't it?

4- Which free CAT tool do you advise instead of Across?

Best regards,

[Değişiklik saati 2016-07-08 19:39 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Free CAT tools Jul 9, 2016

Nesem wrote:

There are a number of candidates:

Used as a stand-alone program:
omegaT: http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html

Works in a browser:
Wordfast Anywhere: https://www.freetm.com

Works in MS Word:
Felix: http://felix-cat.com

Works in OpenOffice/LibreOffice:
Anaphraseus: http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net

Anastasia A. Karakitsou

nhceviri
nhceviri
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Similar to Across Jul 9, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Nesem wrote:

There are a number of candidates:

Used as a stand-alone program:
omegaT: http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html

Works in a browser:
Wordfast Anywhere: https://www.freetm.com

Works in MS Word:
Felix: http://felix-cat.com

Works in OpenOffice/LibreOffice:
Anaphraseus: http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net

Thank you so much. Do you know which one is similar to the working system of Across?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
omegaT Jul 9, 2016

Nesem wrote:

Thank you so much. Do you know which one is similar to the working system of Across?

Please have a look at this video about omegaT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7y6zWzV-yY

I think that of the 4 tools that I mentioned, omegaT's interface resembles that of Across most.

[Edited at 2016-07-09 08:39 GMT]

Britt Laux
Britt Laux  Identity Verified
German to Norwegian
+ ...
What does "sequential" mean? Oct 20, 2016

Michelle Mallasch wrote:

Since I had not heard back from the support person after our last email correspondence, I decided to call customer service and the person there told me that the Basic Edition CAN BE USED with different clients as long as it is SEQUENTIAL, WHICH IS NOT MENTIONED ANYWHERE. He also said that my problem was probably due to a coding error from Across's side.

Does "sequential" mean that I can log out from one client, restart Across and log in to another client? Or do I have to finish/deliver all jobs for one client before I can work for another?

AAV
AAV
Local time: 08:48
You need to finish and deliver all jobs from one client to download from another Oct 24, 2016

B. D. Laux wrote:

Does "sequential" mean that I can log out from one client, restart Across and log in to another client? Or do I have to finish/deliver all jobs for one client before I can work for another?

Second case - you need to deliver everything.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:48
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I was not willing to use it even if it was free Oct 24, 2016

It was not user-friendly and it would make you mad frequently for various issues. I chose to stop working with a client because that client forced me to use it.

Alison Watt
Alison Watt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:48
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can you be "assigned" tasks by various clients simultaneously? Jan 10, 2017

AAV wrote:

B. D. Laux wrote:

Second case - you need to deliver everything.

--- Or is this again where "sequential" come into play; e.g. you have completed and delivered work for client A, but perhaps the tasks are still assigned by client A's project manager - can client B assign work in this instance?

AAV
AAV
Local time: 08:48
It depends on downloads, not on assignments. Jan 11, 2017

Alison Watt wrote:
--- Or is this again where "sequential" come into play; e.g. you have completed and delivered work for client A, but perhaps the tasks are still assigned by client A's project manager - can client B assign work in this instance?

Translation Edition calculates this based on active tasks, and not on assignments. All not downloaded (or already finished and uploaded) work doesn't matter. So if Translator has finished and uploaded all tasks for client A (no downloaded tasks left), he will be able to start working on task for client B.

Sophie Reynaud
Sophie Reynaud  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Solution to extract the translated text without upgrading? Mar 31, 2017

Hi there!
Does anybody know a trick to extract already translated text from the basic edition? Over cross tank maybe?
I used to work with ACROSS stand alone edition in the past. I had not used it for years and did not know it is no longer free. I wanted to use it only for a small project because of file incompatibility problems in another CAT tool. I will definitely not use it again
I am not willing to pay almost 80 euros (it does not seem to be possible to pay for less than 3
... See more
Hi there!
Does anybody know a trick to extract already translated text from the basic edition? Over cross tank maybe?
I used to work with ACROSS stand alone edition in the past. I had not used it for years and did not know it is no longer free. I wanted to use it only for a small project because of file incompatibility problems in another CAT tool. I will definitely not use it again
I am not willing to pay almost 80 euros (it does not seem to be possible to pay for less than 3 months) for 2500 words, but I also don't want the whole work to be lost.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:48
Russian to English
+ ...
@Sophie Mar 31, 2017

You should start a new topic. Your question has nothing to do with this old thread.
(I don't know the answer to your question.)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across is no longer free

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »