Thread poster: Pamela Gulijczuk
Pamela Gulijczuk
Pamela Gulijczuk
Argentina
Local time: 12:39
English to Spanish
Jun 3, 2009

Hi there.

I need some help to start working with Catalyst 8.0.

I know the basics (and a bit more ), however, a colleague of mine it's an actual beginner.
Internet search has been unsuccessful, that's why I'm asking you for some tutorial, "how to start" or something on the sort.

Do you happen to know whether I can find any of these?

Thanks in advance.
Best!
... See more
Hi there.

I need some help to start working with Catalyst 8.0.

I know the basics (and a bit more ), however, a colleague of mine it's an actual beginner.
Internet search has been unsuccessful, that's why I'm asking you for some tutorial, "how to start" or something on the sort.

Do you happen to know whether I can find any of these?

Thanks in advance.
Best!

Pamela
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:39
English to Turkish
+ ...
Tutorials Jun 4, 2009

Please look at http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/resources/tutorials/catoverview.html
Actually, this is the online version of the help file.

Pamela Gulijczuk
Pamela Gulijczuk
Argentina
Local time: 12:39
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 4, 2009

Hello.

I don't know how I missed that.
It seems really helpful, thank you.

Regards,
Pamela

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Catalyst 8.0 file into 7.0 file Aug 30, 2009

I recently got a gig with this agency that sent me a Catalyst file to translate. I did it after a long week of work and proofread and sent it back, however they told me they need the file saved as 7.0 instead of 8.0. I thought my catalyst version would let me save it as a 7.0 file but it didn't. Any suggestions how to solve this issue?

Thank you!

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Files to practise/learn? Jan 21, 2010

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Please look at http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/resources/tutorials/catoverview.html
Actually, this is the online version of the help file.

I too am trying to lear Catalyst, and having watched the tutorial videos, I'd like to practise on some files, in order to improve my learning.

Where can I get some, please?

Thanks,
Jose

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
Sample Folder Jan 21, 2010

Hi Jose,

You should have a Sample folder in your installation files.

If you cannot find them I could put them on our FTP for you.
Please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Can't find it :-( Jan 21, 2010

Alchemy Support wrote:

Hi Jose,

You should have a Sample folder in your installation files.

If you cannot find them I could put them on our FTP for you.
Please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Hi Jette,

I can't find such folder in my instalation... I'd be grateful if you could make those files availble then, please.

Thanks,
Jose

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
FTP Link Jan 21, 2010

Hi Jose,

I have put the files on our FTP server, the download link is:

ftp://user:[email protected]/Samples.zip

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Next steps Jan 21, 2010

Alchemy Support wrote:

Hi Jose,

I have put the files on our FTP server, the download link is:

ftp://user:[email protected]/Samples.zip

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Thank you Jette, I have it now!

One step that doesn't seem explained in the tutorial video, is that apparently you need to have a TTK project - either open one or create a new one - before you can open, say, a .chm file.

And after experimenting a bit, it seems also that not all TTKs allow opening .chm files, am I right?

Another first step would be activate spellcheking - I seem to have chosen already which type of dictionary I want to use, and to use spelling as I type, but it doesn't seem to be working, and I assume I should also specify which language I'm tranlating in, in order to use the correct spelling dictionary. How do I do that, please?

Thank you,
Jose

PS - I've now created a TTK, and specified the target language. Still, spell as type is not working properly - either it signals no mistake when I make mistakes on purpose, or signals every word as mispelled
Is there a way to *automatically* spellcheck right after you commit a segment, before opening the next one, without having to press F4?
Furthermore, I do miss the "Ignore All" option in the spellcheker - it would be very handy when dealing with product names, file names, etc.

[Edited at 2010-01-21 18:47 GMT]

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
New Project Jan 22, 2010

Hi Jose,

Catalyst stores all web sites, online help system and software application files in an object-orientated database called a Project Translation Toolkit, commonly referred to as a “Project TTK". Therefore, to insert new files into Catalyst you always need to create a Project TTK first. However if you have already a TTK you can open it directly in Catalyst without creating a new TTK.

Catalyst comes with its own internal Spell Checker; however, Microsoft spellche
... See more
Hi Jose,

Catalyst stores all web sites, online help system and software application files in an object-orientated database called a Project Translation Toolkit, commonly referred to as a “Project TTK". Therefore, to insert new files into Catalyst you always need to create a Project TTK first. However if you have already a TTK you can open it directly in Catalyst without creating a new TTK.

Catalyst comes with its own internal Spell Checker; however, Microsoft spellchecker technology can also be selected. If you select your target language that automatically defines the dictionary for your spell checker.
Did you also check the option in Tools | Options | Spell Check – “Check spelling as you type”?

Thanks and regards,
Jette
Collapse

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How 2 use TMs? Jan 26, 2010

Hi Jette,

The features you mentioned are all checked. I'm trying to repair my spellcheker, I think that will be solved.

For now, I'm trying to "attach" a TM to a TTK project. I've searched the online help, I've tried to use "Leverage Expert", but that did not even open a dialog...

Next I went to Tools, Options, Power translate, and add a TM there, apparently with sucess, but then I can't get Analysis expert to analyse the file against the TM, so I'm not s
... See more
Hi Jette,

The features you mentioned are all checked. I'm trying to repair my spellcheker, I think that will be solved.

For now, I'm trying to "attach" a TM to a TTK project. I've searched the online help, I've tried to use "Leverage Expert", but that did not even open a dialog...

Next I went to Tools, Options, Power translate, and add a TM there, apparently with sucess, but then I can't get Analysis expert to analyse the file against the TM, so I'm not sure the TM's actually linked to the project...

Any sugestions, please?

Thanks,
Jose
Collapse

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
Catalyst Version Jan 26, 2010

Hi Jose,

What Catalyst version do you have?

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Eight Jan 26, 2010

Alchemy Support wrote:

Hi Jose,

What Catalyst version do you have?

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Version 8 SP1, build 8108, Translator Edition

Thank you!

Jose

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Still no spellchecking :-( Jan 26, 2010

Alchemy Support wrote:
Catalyst comes with its own internal Spell Checker; however, Microsoft spellchecker technology can also be selected. If you select your target language that automatically defines the dictionary for your spell checker.
Did you also check the option in Tools | Options | Spell Check – “Check spelling as you type”?

After doing all this, here's how it's working:

I click a paragraph in the original WYSIWYG window, it opens in the Translator toolbar and the entire text is marked red - mispelled, I guess.

Next everything I type, I make a mistake on purpose, and the entire text is shown in black; I then press Enter and the translation shows up in the WYSIWYG window.

Next, if I click the translated text I just entered, making it come back to the translation window, the mispelled word will *now* show red. However, if I correct it, it will not change color until I do it all over again: press Enter (to take the text to the WYSIWYG window), and then click it again (to bring it back to the editing window).

Does this sound clear? It certainly seems strange to me...

Regards,
Jose

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
English
Confirmed Bug Jan 28, 2010

Hi Jose,

Apologise for the late response.
Development has confirmed that this is a bug within the Spell Checker in Catalyst.
Ideally it is supposed to mark the word red after you misspelled it right away.

I have logged this with Development now.
Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Thanks and regards,
Jette

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to start with Alchemy Catalyst

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »