Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:21
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Awesome monitor? Apr 9, 2015

Ivona wrote:

iMac with that awesome monitor one day...

You're going to be happy with you Mac! However, I'll never understand why people like those horrible iMac screens?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:21
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Trolling... Apr 9, 2015

2nl wrote:
teasing

... is the word.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:21
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Awesome they are Apr 9, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:
However, I'll never understand why people like those horrible iMac screens?

Those screens are awesome. However, the fact that they are reflecting can be a problem under some circumstances and for some purposes. In the later versions, this problem has been addressed somewhat (by implementing a kind of "Venetian blinds"), and besides, for people working with text - us - it's hardly a problem anyway.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:21
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
☛   ♫☻☁♞℞☠ ☹   ☚ Apr 9, 2015

2nl wrote:

You can have both, on a Mac. As you probably know. You are just teasing me.

Without restarting my computer.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Can it be that you have an encoding problem? Apr 9, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
☛ ♫☻☁♞℞☠ ☹ ☚ ☛ ♫☻☁☛ ♫☻☁♞℞☠ ☹ ☚♞℞☠ ☹ ☚ ☛ ♫☻☁☛ ♫☻☁♞℞☠ ☹ ☚♞℞☠ ☹ ☚☛ ♫☻☁♞℞☠ ☹ ☚

Can it be that your Windows has an encoding problem or perhaps a virus?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
What's horrible about the screen? Apr 9, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

You're going to be happy with you Mac! However, I'll never understand why people like those horrible iMac screens?

I'm curious ... What is it that you don't like about these screens?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
can't stop laughing Apr 9, 2015

This has to be the funniest thing I have seen all year:

"Apple Engineer Talks about the New 2015 Macbook": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc (And every word of it true)

/█\
.Π.
... See more

"Apple Engineer Talks about the New 2015 Macbook": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc (And every word of it true)

/█\
.Π.

(copied from here: http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/284405-new_macbook.html )(thanks Lázaro!)
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Ergonomics Apr 10, 2015

2nl wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

I'm curious ... What is it that you don't like about these screens?

While looking shiny and cool, the glossy Apple screens are a true disaster from the viewpoint of work ergonomics. They're even forbidden for professional computer-based workstations by EU occupational health and safety legislation (not that I'd be bound by occupational health law, but anyway).

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Apple Store Apr 10, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

/█\
.Π.

(copied from here: http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/284405-new_macbook.html )(thanks Lázaro!)

Yes indeed, it's all true!

That being said, did you order the Silver one or the Gold one?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Reflections: yes! Apr 10, 2015

Reflections need, Erik, but very sharp letters too. So I have arranged my screens so that I don't have any reflections. I realise that this isn't possible in each and every work environment, though.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Glossy screens? No! Apr 10, 2015

2nl wrote:

Reflections need, Erik, but very sharp letters too. So I have arranged my screens so that I don't have any reflections. I realise that this isn't possible in each and every work environment, though.

No matter how sharp the letters, this will never outweigh possible reflections for me. Also, the arrangement of my screen has to follow other and more important considerations (again, ergonomic ones).

The point is: Is being glossy a necessary prerequisite for a screen to achieve a higher resolution? No. Apple's decision to exclusively offer glossy screens is a marketing decision (because it looks cool to the average buyer). As an aside, this makes any MacBook practically unusable for professional purposes (because when you're using a mobile computer, you will always have to cope with varying lighting situations). MacBooks seem to be made mainly for watching photos and movies etc.

I know, many people don't care and fall for the shiny appearance.

Just my 2 cents.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-10 08:17 GMT]

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Office for Mac, Parallels for other things Apr 10, 2015

Ivona wrote:
So you suggest I get MS Office for Mac (the latest one)? I also heard of "Parallels" - is that better/worse?

Parallels is a utility that allows you to run Windows software on your Mac. So for software that isn't normally available for Mac (e.g. TRADOS), you can generally still run it.

However, if the software in question is actually available for Mac (as is the case with Office), it's usually preferable to simply get the Mac version. That way it will integrate a little better with the rest of the system.

Ivona wrote:
One company will be sending me their dongle - and they were quite concerned I am thinking about getting a Mac, as their dongle is PC compatible. They did say they have translators working on Mac with virtual PC (I am assuming this is either MS Office for Mac or Parallel?)

So this depends a bit on exactly what dongle it is and what it's for... but assuming it's a USB dongle, it'll *probably* work with Parallels.

Just bear in mind with Parallels, it works by having a complete Windows installation as a "computer within a computer" alongside your Mac system. This means that:
- you need an extra 100GB or so more disk space than you normally would for a single system
- you need a copy of Windows, either migrated from your existing PC (Parallels comes with a tool to perform this migration), or a brand new copy -- so one way or another, you'll need an additional Windows license if you plan to go on using your existing PC as well
- you still need an antivirus on your Parallels Windows installation

Ivona wrote:
with MS Office. On a PC to use Polish fonts, provided you have Polish selected as one of the available languages), I would pres ALT and the letter I need with a diacritic. How does it look on a Mac?

So with a UK keyboard configured, for example, usually you use right-ALT (option) and a letter that represents the diacritic (e.g. "e" is an acute accent), followed by the letter you want to attach the diacritic to. For less common diacritics you can hold down a letter and a pop-up then appears allowing you to select the diacritic you want to attach to that letter. I don't *think* this is really dependent on fonts -- essentially any normal modern font should include all of the diacritics you need for Polish.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Air... Apr 10, 2015

Ivona wrote:
For now I am just getting MacBook Air. I do hope to get iMac with that awesome monitor one day...

In case you haven't already bought it, do consider the MacBook Pro with the retina screen -- a key disadvantage of the Airs is they do have a fairly low screen resolution.

But either way, yes one of the advantages of the Mac is that it works pretty well with second monitors. Essentially any monitor with an HDMI connection (so you don't actually need to spend much money nowadays) should work fine.

In case it's useful to you, you can also use an Apple TV connected to a TV/monitor and then connect to it wirelessly.

Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
Local time: 18:21
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Neil - thank you! Apr 11, 2015

The dongle is actually a GTS dongle.

I think I may just get a new MS Office specifically for Mac. It will still work with the Parallels, right? I think this is where it is confusing to me - should I get a normal PC Office and install it on Parallels, or get a Mac version. This would not be that difficult if it wasn't for the GTS Dongle which only works in Windows environment. From what I was told by the company their subttilers do use their dongle with Parallels.

Thank
... See more
The dongle is actually a GTS dongle.

I think I may just get a new MS Office specifically for Mac. It will still work with the Parallels, right? I think this is where it is confusing to me - should I get a normal PC Office and install it on Parallels, or get a Mac version. This would not be that difficult if it wasn't for the GTS Dongle which only works in Windows environment. From what I was told by the company their subttilers do use their dongle with Parallels.

Thank you for the hint on additional disc space!
For antivirus on Parallels - should I get additional Avast that I have on my PC then?

I have not gotten it yet - but hear various opinions, some thing their Air is better than Pro, some don't - ugh! I honestly don't know which one to get.

Here is what I have been considering:

http://www.abt.com/product/80063/Apple-MD761LLB.html
how much more disc space would I need for this one?
Should I also get more memory?

And you are probably thinking about this one, which I have considered, until I've heard some people who had both say they prefer Air...

http://www.abt.com/product/82761/Apple-MGX82LLA.html

Is the screen resolution the only plus?

Again - THANK YOU so much for all your incredible help and suggestions.
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Did you actually have a look at the newest generation iMacs? Apr 11, 2015

I think that your objections are only valid for older iMacs. The newest iMacs have little reflexion.

This is the technique behind it:

Low reflection.
Full lamination has a second major benefit: It eliminates the reflection of light off the LCD panel and off the back of the display’s cover glass. But we also figured out how to reduce reflection off the front of the glass without compromising color quality. Instead of applying an antireflective coating to the glas
... See more
I think that your objections are only valid for older iMacs. The newest iMacs have little reflexion.

This is the technique behind it:

Low reflection.
Full lamination has a second major benefit: It eliminates the reflection of light off the LCD panel and off the back of the display’s cover glass. But we also figured out how to reduce reflection off the front of the glass without compromising color quality. Instead of applying an antireflective coating to the glass in a conventional way, we adapted a process used on smaller surfaces like camera lenses and fighter pilots’ helmets. It’s called plasma deposition, and it involves coating the glass with layers of silicon dioxide and niobium pentoxide so precise and so thin they’re measured in atoms. The result: astoundingly low reflection — and vibrant, accurate colors.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MS Office on Mac for translating

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »