Jennifer Traini (X)
Jennifer Traini (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Just get a MacBook Pro Jul 15, 2015

Hello there!
I asked myself the same question in May, when I decided to buy a new mac. I only buy Mac from a reseller I know so I went straight to him and explained my doubts and he said that for what we do (that is using Windows as well to use CAT tools) the new Macbook isn't the best option yet. It's not as powerful as a MacBook Air and he suggested I'd buy a MacBook Pro. I wasn't convinced yet so he gave me the new Macbook to try for a few days and it was like working with my old Macboo
... See more
Hello there!
I asked myself the same question in May, when I decided to buy a new mac. I only buy Mac from a reseller I know so I went straight to him and explained my doubts and he said that for what we do (that is using Windows as well to use CAT tools) the new Macbook isn't the best option yet. It's not as powerful as a MacBook Air and he suggested I'd buy a MacBook Pro. I wasn't convinced yet so he gave me the new Macbook to try for a few days and it was like working with my old Macbook (I had the white one, late 2010): it takes it a long time to open Windows and it freezes every 5 minutes or so while working on Trados. Eventually, I bought a MacBook Pro and I couldn't be happier.
Hope this answer helps in your decision!
Jennifer
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:07
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you for your reply Jul 17, 2015

2nl wrote:

- Virtual machine size: 454 GB

That's strange. What do you have installed in this VM? The VM on this MacBook Pro has memoQ, Transit, Studio and Déjà Vu and is only 35 GB.

Indeed, I have now compressed it and its size is about 75 GB. I have many dictionaries on it and many cat-tools like trados, across, memoq.

The start up time for MS Word (I assume that you mean the Mac version) is extremely long (it should be 10-15 seconds or so, with your iMac).

What do you mean by 'tried formatting the machine, without any results'? Do you mean that you tried to set up a fresh OS X but that you didn't succeed? Or: I you were able to set up a fresh OS X but that didn't make any difference. If you did succeed in setting up a fresh OS X: how did you you create your VM? By restoring it from the TimeMachine?

Unfortunately, I don't remember the procedure I followed for setting up a fresh OS X, but it really didn't make any difference. I saved the VM on an external drive and then simply copy and pasted in the fresh OS X.

Did you install Yosemite over previous versions of OS X? That could cause some problems too. OS X isn't perfect either. You'll get the best performance by saving your documents and ongoing translation projects on an external drive or in your Dropbox and setting up everything from scratch. Don't be afraid, it's simple and doesn't take much time.

Yes I installed Yosemite over previous versions of OS X..but I have experienced problems with word since the beginning..I think word for windows is more reliable..

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nice to see a post that actually addresses the question :-) Nov 24, 2015

Jennifer Traini wrote:

Hello there!
I asked myself the same question in May, when I decided to buy a new mac. I only buy Mac from a reseller I know so I went straight to him and explained my doubts and he said that for what we do (that is using Windows as well to use CAT tools) the new Macbook isn't the best option yet. It's not as powerful as a MacBook Air and he suggested I'd buy a MacBook Pro. I wasn't convinced yet so he gave me the new Macbook to try for a few days and it was like working with my old Macbook (I had the white one, late 2010): it takes it a long time to open Windows and it freezes every 5 minutes or so while working on Trados. Eventually, I bought a MacBook Pro and I couldn't be happier.
Hope this answer helps in your decision!
Jennifer

I had exactly the same question as the OP and that's why I came to this thread. I was disappointed to see all the posts that were completely off-topic so it was very nice to read your comment and have my question answered. While it would be nice to have the increased portability and battery life of the new Macbook, I will settle with my Macbook Pro for running Studio in a virtual machine. Too bad, but we can't have everything! Thanks again for your helpful comment.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New MacBook

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »