New MacBook
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:06
German to Spanish
Apr 9, 2015

Powerful enough for using Windows + CAT?

Some experience or information?

Regards

Lázaro Borges
Lázaro Borges  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's a trap Apr 9, 2015

Probably not, since it's a downgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

Jan Kovačič
Jan Kovačič  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2020)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Windows? Apr 9, 2015

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Regards
Why would a sane person use Windows on Mac? I hope this is a troll.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:---() !!! Apr 9, 2015

Thanks Lázaro, that has to be the funniest thing I have seen all year! And every word of it true.

Michael

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
???? Apr 10, 2015

Jan Kovačič wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Regards

Why not?

I like the hardware, and I need to use a Windows CAT. Anyway I work with Mac AND Windows since many years.

This new model will be not strong enough for DTP, Video or Audio, but maybe for a CAT app. Of course, it would not be my main system, but 900 gr. is very tempting for traveling.

P.S. Anyway Windows, since Windows 7, is not bad at all and all the software by Apple has gone in the opposite direction.
In fact, I do not use any of the application made by Apple, cause there are not professional anymore.
iPhoto/Aperture (or new Photos -> forced to use the iCloud) just a joke compared to Adobe programs.
iCloud? a joke compared to Dropbox
Safari? no way compared to Chrome
etc.

[Edited at 2015-04-10 16:03 GMT]

Jan Kovačič
Jan Kovačič  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2020)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Main point Apr 10, 2015

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Jan Kovačič wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Regards

Why not?

I like the hardware, and I need to use a Windows CAT. Anyway I work with Mac AND Windows since many years.

This new model will be not strong enough for DTP, Video or Audio, but maybe for a CAT app. Of course, it would not be my main system, but 900 gr. is very tempting for traveling.

P.S. Anyway Windows, since Windows 7, is not bad at all and all the software by Apple has gone in the opposite direction.
In fact, I do not use any of the application made by Apple, cause there are not professional anymore.
iPhoto/Aperture (or new Photos -> forced to use the iCloud) just a joke compared to Adobe programs.
iCloud? a joke compared to Dropbox
Safari? no way compared to Chrome
etc.

[Edited at 2015-04-10 16:03 GMT]

Fernando, I apologize for my ignorance.
I never owned Apple product, but my girlfriend does and she sold her Mac recently because it got so slow with new updates. I also bought her iPhone 6, but she's satisfied with it, also with iPad.

I was always told by Mac users that Mac and its OS synchronize well together, and not so well (or Mac loses performance) with Windows.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Probably powerful *enough* but not the best bang for your buck Apr 10, 2015

Fernando Toledo wrote:

It's almost certainly powerful *enough*. On the other hand, if you compare it to a 13" Mac Book Pro (which is in roughly the same ballpark in terms of price), the "extra portability" is only 500g less and a couple of hours of battery life in exchange for a machine that seems seriously crippled in terms of raw power and connectivity.

So I'd say... come back to me when this "extra portable" Mac Book has twice the battery life and weighs half as much again and we'll have the conversation.

In the meantime, I'd recommend sticking to a boring old Mac Book Pro -- the new Mac Book is more of a fashion statement than a serious work machine, as far as I can see.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I have... Apr 10, 2015

Neil Coffey wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

It's almost certainly powerful *enough*. On the other hand, if you compare it to a 13" Mac Book Pro (which is in roughly the same ballpark in terms of price), the "extra portability" is only 500g less and a couple of hours of battery life in exchange for a machine that seems seriously crippled in terms of raw power and connectivity.

So I'd say... come back to me when this "extra portable" Mac Book has twice the battery life and weighs half as much again and we'll have the conversation.

In the meantime, I'd recommend sticking to a boring old Mac Book Pro -- the new Mac Book is more of a fashion statement than a serious work machine, as far as I can see.

...a MacBook Pro 13" (i7, 2,9 GH, 500 GB SSL) but it is 2 kg, I want something very, very light just for short trips.

Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
Local time: 11:06
English to Polish
+ ...
MacBook Pro or MacBook Air Apr 11, 2015

Which would you choose and why?

I will be installing MS Office and Parallels on it - need it for some PC based software.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A step back Apr 11, 2015

"The new MacBook is a 4-year step backward"

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-new-macbook-processor-is-slower-than-the-2011-macbook-air-2015-4?r=US

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Lightness is what it's for... Apr 12, 2015

Fernando Toledo wrote:
...a MacBook Pro 13" (i7, 2,9 GH, 500 GB SSL) but it is 2 kg, I want something very, very light just for short trips.

Well, if you really do just want the lightest possible model of Mac whatever the other compromises, then that *is* sort of what the new model is for.

Another option (the one I tend to go for) is to try and organise your work so that you can manage with an iPad for the short, "travel as light as possible" trips.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
The question is Apr 12, 2015

Neil Coffey wrote:

Well, if you really do just want the lightest possible model of Mac whatever the other compromises, then that *is* sort of what the new model is for.

still if is possible to work on it, theory versus praxis. Windows 8,1 or 10 with any CAT. This has to be test before buy it.

I am considering the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro too

I repeat, ONLY for working with a CAT (as a 2nd machine), for heavy applications (video, audio, etc.) I already have THE machine.

Another option (the one I tend to go for) is to try and organise your work so that you can manage with an iPad for the short, "travel as light as possible" trips.

With a iPad?

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I would say Apr 12, 2015

Ivona wrote:

I will be installing MS Office and Parallels on it - need it for some PC based software.

AS primary system, should be a Macbook Pro

[Edited at 2015-04-12 17:00 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:06
Finnish to French
CPU is only part of the equation Apr 12, 2015

So the MacBook 2015 has a slower processor than the MacBook Air 2011. Big deal. I have the MacBook Air 2010 (which is thus even slower than the 2011 model) and I can run heavy-duty tools like Studio 2014 or memoQ 2014 in a virtual machine without problems. In fact, many of the YouTube videos I've produced were recorded in such an environment.

The 2011 MacBook Air only had 4 GB of RAM, the 2015 MacBook has double that. The 2011 MacBook Air only had an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics adapter, the 2015 MacBook has HD 5300. It features a higher-resolution display, a higher-capacity SSD, is lighter, has longer battery life. I wouldn't say it's a step backward.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:06
Finnish to French
MacBook Pro Apr 12, 2015

Ivona wrote:
MacBook Pro or MacBook Air:

If it's going to be your main computer and you plan to run Windows software in a virtual machine, I would go for the 13" MacBook Pro, because it supports more RAM (which you need for the VM) than the 13" MacBook Air.
The current MacBook Pro is slim/light enough IMO (which was not the case a few years back).

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New MacBook

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »