Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Macbook for working with Trados Studio 2015? Pro or Air?
Thread poster: Ute Neumaier
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Big screen Feb 10, 2016

Ute Neumaier wrote:

MacbookAir 13inch is very sturdy, great keyboard and touch-pad, very light, great battery life. I have been only using MacbookAir for the last 5 years and I definitely recommend it as a full time translator travelling almost 6 months in a year.

I hope this helps.

Tuncay.
[/quote]

And if you're not travelling you can plug in a big display such as this

http://tinyurl.com/m857392

which should be able to run with the lid of the MacbookAir closed. I'm not familiar with the MBA but it works with my MacBook Pro.

Ute Neumaier
Ute Neumaier  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:20
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All your comments are so helpful, thanks to all of you Feb 11, 2016

It is the first post of that kind I ever opened and I am not yet really familiar of how it works with the replies. However, I wanted to thanks all of you for your input and help and effort. All your comments will help me to take the right decision. Thanks a lot.

Ute Neumaier
Ute Neumaier  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how many specs for my future MacBook Pro May 30, 2016

Hello everybody!
Thanks a lot for all your replys to my questions posted in February.
On the base of all the information I have received I decided to buy a Macbook Pro.
According to Mac-Rumours, by end of the year a new version for the Mac-Pro will come up, so I am waiting for that to take the final decision.
But the issue is, that I am not yet sure which quantity of specs I really need, given that I will run Windows on Paralells.
My Dell-PC has 256 GB (with 16% of
... See more
Hello everybody!
On the base of all the information I have received I decided to buy a Macbook Pro.
According to Mac-Rumours, by end of the year a new version for the Mac-Pro will come up, so I am waiting for that to take the final decision.
But the issue is, that I am not yet sure which quantity of specs I really need, given that I will run Windows on Paralells.
My Dell-PC has 256 GB (with 16% of the space still available), 8 GB Ram and an I3-processor.
For the MacBook-Pro I am considering one of these two options:
1) 256 GB, 8 Ram and i5 with a processor of 2,7 Ghz (1660,-- Euro), plus buying an external flash drive 1 TGB (66,-- Euro).
2) 512 GB, 8 Ram and i5 with a processor of 2,9 Ghz (1990 Euro)

All of you have recommened to buy the highest quantity of specs. What would you consider as the best option?
Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot in advance. Ute
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
RAM May 30, 2016

Ute Neumaier wrote:

Hello everybody!
My Dell-PC has 256 GB (with 16% of the space still available), 8 GB Ram and an I3-processor.
For the MacBook-Pro I am considering one of these two options:
1) 256 GB, 8 Ram and i5 with a processor of 2,7 Ghz (1660,-- Euro), plus buying an external flash drive 1 TGB (66,-- Euro).
2) 512 GB, 8 Ram and i5 with a processor of 2,9 Ghz (1990 Euro)

All of you have recommened to buy the highest quantity of specs. What would you consider as the best option?
Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot in advance. Ute

8 RAM is not going to be enough for what you are going to be doing. I have nothing to say about your other preferences but if you are spending extra money, the first and top priority should be as much extra RAM as you can afford (or "Memory" as Apple insists on calling it).

On older Macs the user could change the RAM if they wanted to but apparently you can't do that any more. I still have my old MBPro with a faster hard drive and extra RAM I put in by myself.

Soldering the RAM so that you can't change it was another stupid move, of many that have been made by Apple since Steve Jobs left the stage.

(raises prophetic finger in the air) You Can Never Have Enough RAM.

[Edited at 2016-05-30 14:52 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
New MacBook Pro May 30, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

On older Macs the user could change the RAM if they wanted to but apparently you can't do that any more.

I wouldn't be surprised if replacing the SSD of the new ultra flat MacBook Pro (to be released later this year) won't be possible anymore, because of the ultra flat construction.

This makes that you have to buy a bigger Mac than you need right now, just to be sure that after 3 years you can still use it (with the newest OS etc.) or sell it for a good price.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Macbook for working with Trados Studio 2015? Pro or Air?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »