Rates per word vs per page (1800 with spaces)
Thread poster: Olga Subbotina
Olga Subbotina
Olga Subbotina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Jul 24, 2014

Hello, when translating from Arabic normally I give my rate per word. But I have a client that wants prices per page (1800 characters with spaces). Well, for other languages, 1800 characters with spaces correspond to about 250 words, but it does not work for the Arabic. Could you give me an idea (based on your experience) about the correspondence for the Arabic?

Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:16
English to Arabic
Per word rate Jul 24, 2014

Hello Olga,

Thanks for sharing your question with us. I have been translating into Arabic all my career time and worked on both lands (my source and target speaking countries).

Years ago when I was based in Egypt, clients used to pay per page and they used to pay very low. I think it is a way from them to save money by paying a fixed rate no matter what is the word count.

When I moved to the UK, agencies here pay per ST words. the rate of course varies dep
... See more
Hello Olga,

Thanks for sharing your question with us. I have been translating into Arabic all my career time and worked on both lands (my source and target speaking countries).

Years ago when I was based in Egypt, clients used to pay per page and they used to pay very low. I think it is a way from them to save money by paying a fixed rate no matter what is the word count.

When I moved to the UK, agencies here pay per ST words. the rate of course varies depending on the text type, the deadline, the final format.

You can suggest to your client to be charged by word as it is easy to count and save your time.

Good luck and wish you the best.
Collapse

Holger Reiter

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 10:16
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Per word rate, too! Jul 24, 2014

Hi Olga,
As Nehad indicated, a per word rate is the best and most accurate way of calculating translation fees.

However, to answer your question, I've just opened two of my Arabic translation documents in Word.

The first had 400 words in one page, 2750 characters with spaces. So for this file 1800 characters equal 262 Arabic words.

The second file included 500 words in one page, 2842 characters with spaces. For this file 1800 characters equal 317 Ara
... See more
Hi Olga,
As Nehad indicated, a per word rate is the best and most accurate way of calculating translation fees.

However, to answer your question, I've just opened two of my Arabic translation documents in Word.

The first had 400 words in one page, 2750 characters with spaces. So for this file 1800 characters equal 262 Arabic words.

The second file included 500 words in one page, 2842 characters with spaces. For this file 1800 characters equal 317 Arabic words. BIG difference!

You can see that the same number of characters may render different word counts according to the document type, field, details, etc..

Stick to a per word rate!
Collapse

Abdallah Ali
Abdallah Ali  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:16
English to Arabic
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Different results Jul 25, 2014

Hi Olga,

I second my colleagues' opinions. I carried out three counts from extracts of translated documents. The 1800 characters with spaces rendered the following word counts: 261, 279 and 298 words.

It is not straightforward. I recommend negotiating with your client and try to explain this can be unfair when it comes to translating from Arabic.

If they insist on their approach, you can agree on a higher than average estimate, say 275-285 words per page an
... See more
Hi Olga,

I second my colleagues' opinions. I carried out three counts from extracts of translated documents. The 1800 characters with spaces rendered the following word counts: 261, 279 and 298 words.

It is not straightforward. I recommend negotiating with your client and try to explain this can be unfair when it comes to translating from Arabic.

If they insist on their approach, you can agree on a higher than average estimate, say 275-285 words per page and carry out one or two jobs for them. If it proved fair to you, then everyone is happy. If not, then you may ask to increase the average word count to match the work you are doing.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Abdallah
Collapse

Olga Subbotina
Olga Subbotina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
rates per word Jul 25, 2014

Many thanks to all for your comments. Finally my client has accepted per word rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per word vs per page (1800 with spaces)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »