Inacio Steinhardt
Inacio Steinhardt  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:57
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 18, 2014

Dear Coleagues,

For a study unrelated to my work as a translator I need to learn or confirm the real meaning of the word ISHBUNA (or vey similar) in ancient Arabic.

I was told that it meant HARBOUR but without any source for the information.
If you know the answer, or if you can recommend any reliable authority whom I can ask, please write to me to [email protected]

Thank you
Inacio
... See more
Dear Coleagues,

For a study unrelated to my work as a translator I need to learn or confirm the real meaning of the word ISHBUNA (or vey similar) in ancient Arabic.

I was told that it meant HARBOUR but without any source for the information.
If you know the answer, or if you can recommend any reliable authority whom I can ask, please write to me to [email protected]

Thank you
Inacio Steinhardts
Collapse

Mohamed A. Moustafa
Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
إشبونة/لشبونة Aug 21, 2014

That could be the name of an Andalusian military base for Muslims called Lisbon. There is a reference indicating that Abd al-Rahman al-Dakhil built ship factories in a number of cities including Ishbuna (Libson).
http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-36578/page-771

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meaning of ISHBUNA in ancient Arabic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »