Transliteration vs translation (بريزر vs جهاز التهوية )
Thread poster: Olga Subbotina
Olga Subbotina
Olga Subbotina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Apr 17, 2015

I need help from Arabic native speakers to choose which term to use.
It’s about device made in Russia called “breezer” en English (and it sounds the same in Russian).
It’s a sort of inlet ventilation system. We can transliterate it like “بريزر” or translate it as جهاز التهوية

I prefer the second option. In this case the text looks like this
مع جهاز التهوية تيون ، يمكنك توفير الهواء الغني بالأ
... See more
I need help from Arabic native speakers to choose which term to use.
It’s about device made in Russia called “breezer” en English (and it sounds the same in Russian).
It’s a sort of inlet ventilation system. We can transliterate it like “بريزر” or translate it as جهاز التهوية

I prefer the second option. In this case the text looks like this
مع جهاز التهوية تيون ، يمكنك توفير الهواء الغني بالأكسجين، الذي يتم تدفئته حسب درجة حرارة الغرفة وتنقيته من الغبار والمواد المثيرة للحساسية والمواد الضارة، حتى ولو تكون نوافذ الغرفة مغلقة. .
Another opinion is that we cannot change the name of the device. What do you think about?
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 04:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
My approach Apr 17, 2015

Hello Olga,

I see to maintain device name and insert (جهاز التهوية) only once after its first occurrence so reader knows what is such device is then keep using device name along the file.

Regards

Olga Subbotina
Russian Federation
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
about بريزر Apr 17, 2015

Many thanks for your input, Ahmad. So, بريزر sounds quite acceptable in Arabic?

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 03:29
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
ventilator Apr 17, 2015

In Al-Khatib's Dictionary of Scientific and Technical terms, the term ventilator is translated as:

مِهواه

This seems to have the same meaning you're describing. I would opt for this term. This way you would be able to apply Arabic plurals and inflections, and attach prepositions and the definite article to the word naturally.

If the term doesn't seem familiar, neither is بريزر.

Another more familiar word is هوّاية, but it is mo
... See more
In Al-Khatib's Dictionary of Scientific and Technical terms, the term ventilator is translated as:

مِهواه

This seems to have the same meaning you're describing. I would opt for this term. This way you would be able to apply Arabic plurals and inflections, and attach prepositions and the definite article to the word naturally.

If the term doesn't seem familiar, neither is بريزر.

Another more familiar word is هوّاية, but it is more commonly used for vents and extractor fans.

[Edited at 2015-04-17 12:06 GMT]
Collapse

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
مُنسِّم الهواء Apr 18, 2015

Hello

I need help from Arabic native speakers...
It’s a sort of inlet ventilation system. We can transliterate it like “بريزر” or translate it as جهاز التهوية ...
Another opinion is that we cannot change the name of the device.

In addition to Ahmad and Alaa's suggestions, and since a Ventilator is already جهاز تهوية, you could also use مُنسِّم الهواء followed by the English name between two brackets:

(Breezer) مُنسِّم الهواء

thereby keeping the device name in English if you cannot change it and giving its meaning in Arabic.

مع جهاز التهوية تيون ، يمكنك توفير الهواء الغني بالأكسجين، الذي يتم تدفئته حسب درجة حرارة الغرفة وتنقيته من الغبار والمواد المثيرة للحساسية والمواد الضارة، حتى ولو تكون نوافذ الغرفة مغلقة. .

I am not sure what تيون is, unless this is another device. But since you have posted this I cannot but suggest that you edit the grammar to make your text sound native to the ear:

- يمكنك توفير The second person (you) cannot provide oxygen.
- يتم تدفئته As if saying 'is being completely warmed', and this is also poor colloquial use in AR (common error) which should be جارٍ تدفئته, but obviously this is not what is meant (should be يُدفّأ).
- حتى ولو تكون نوافذ الغرفة مغلقة How can this be grammatically? Note that this is not a wish.

لو شرطية ويأتي بعدها شرط وجواب - لو أُغلِقَت النافذة لاختنقنا
ولو المصدرية يتبعها فعل مبني للمجهول - تظنّون لو تُفتح النافذة لتنفستم
ولو التقليل اسم مفعول به - افتحوا ولو نافذةً واحدة
وهناك لو المتبوعة باسم أو بأنّ وبعدها يكون فعل ماضٍ - لو أنكم أغلقتم النافذة لما تأثرتم
وهناك لو المتبوعة بفعل مضارع ولكنه للتمنّي مثل ليت - لو تصنّعونَ هذا الجهاز وتبيعوننا إيّاه
أما لو للوصل بمعنى إنْ وإذا فيتبعها فعل ماضٍ وهي المطلوبة هنا

مع مٌنسِّم الهواء يمكن توفير هواءٍ غني بالأكسجين قابل للتدفئة حسب درجة الغرفة، وللتنقية من الغبار والمواد الضارّة والمثيرة للحساسية، حتى وإنْ كانت نوافذ الغرفة مغلقة

Hope you find this useful.

[Edited at 2015-04-18 00:27 GMT]

Olga Subbotina
Russian Federation
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 18, 2015

Thank you so much for your commentaries. I need to think about this a little bit more. Tion is a brand of device.

Olga Subbotina
Russian Federation
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
مُنسِّم الهواء Apr 18, 2015

Dear Farhat, many thanks for pointing out our mistakes in translated text.
In respect to the name of the device, I like very much مُنسِّم الهواء
It vehiculates the idea/meaning of breezer, doesn't-it? Is it possible to use just مُنسِّم ?
And I would be grateful to hear other opinions.
As for me, I really don't undestand why we have to bring بريزر into the Arabic when we say مكيف for air conditioner, جوال for mobile etc. There are not too many english words in Arabic.

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
full name Apr 18, 2015

Is it possible to use just مُنسِّم ?
I really don't undestand why we have to bring بريزر into the Arabic when we say مكيف for air conditioner, جوال for mobile etc.

Hi Olga

As you know, in the written form we have to use the fluent language. Therefore, منسِّم is not enough. The same goes for conditioner and mobile. We have to use the governing word and the governed noun; else, the single word alone remains ambiguous without its classifier.

For example,
Air Conditioner مكيّف الهواء
but Hair Conditioner مُلطِّف الشعر
Mobile متحرّك
جوّال Drifter
but
Mobile Phone هاتف جوّال

If Breezer and Tune are 'brands' only, then we keep the original name, the foreign (transliterated between two converted commas, with the original between two brackets).

e.g. Ventilators Breezer and Tune can produce ...
يمكن إنتاج هواءٍ غني بالأكسجين (Tune) "و"تيون (Breezer) "مع أجهزة التهوية من نوع "بريزر

If these two are 'devices' in their own right then use the equivalent in the target language.
مع مُنسِّم الهواء ومؤالِف التهوية يمكن إنتاج هواءٍ غني بالأكسجين

في اللغة التجارية العامّية أو الإعلانية المحكيّة تختلف المسميات بطبيعة الحال - تكون مختصرة ومختلطة اللغة

If the text is a formal manual or product specifications, the fluent form is applicable.

Whatever your choice is, all is needed is to maintain consistency throughout the text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transliteration vs translation (بريزر vs جهاز التهوية )

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »