Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:28
French to English
+ ...
I agree with Tiffany! Jan 26, 2015

Networking is a great opportunity to meet other translators and compare notes, both on-line and in person. Translation can be a solitary profession, so it's nice to socialize with peopleand make new connections.

I've recently changed countries (again), but now that we're settling in the UK I'm looking forward to getting involved in ITI, going to meetings and conferences, and meeting local colleagues. When I'm at an event, my goal is to meet interesting people, not pick up business
... See more
Networking is a great opportunity to meet other translators and compare notes, both on-line and in person. Translation can be a solitary profession, so it's nice to socialize with peopleand make new connections.

I've recently changed countries (again), but now that we're settling in the UK I'm looking forward to getting involved in ITI, going to meetings and conferences, and meeting local colleagues. When I'm at an event, my goal is to meet interesting people, not pick up business. That may happen after you establish genuine relationships with people, but it's not some rigid "quid pro quo".

In my opinion, networking with the goal of self-promotion tends to backfire. You've met those people - pushing their business skills, talking about themselves at every opportunity? It's tedious - but unfortunately I think that's what the word "networking" means to some!

Laura
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:28
French to English
I never do it Jan 27, 2015

I never consciously network and the idea of it makes me cringe. Clients have come from surprising places, like the manager of the art gallery a friend was exhibiting in, a woman I took to the police station as part of my volunteer work with rape victims and, a sure sign that I'm no longer a spring chicken, now the children of friends in my international circle who suddenly find that even if their English is good they need a professional to translate their website.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Networking - what does it mean to you?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »