Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What do they mean by \"sworn\" translation?
Thread poster: Mary Watson
Mary Watson
Mary Watson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
German to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2003

I recently did a simple translation of marriage license from Bolivia. I delivered it to the client, who sent it back saying it had to be a \"sworn\" translation. I couldn\'t think what he meant, and he didn\'t seem to know either - he just kept saying it wasn\'t sworn. I took it to a friend who is a notary - she put her seal on it and the client was satisfied. Is this what \"sworn\" translation means?

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends where Feb 11, 2003

The definition differs by country. For useful information from previous discussion threads, try a forum search on the phrase: certified translation.

Since you are in the United States, the following applies. From www.notisnet.org/cliented/certification.doc:

What is a Certified Translation?

In the United States a certified translation consists of the f
... See more
The definition differs by country. For useful information from previous discussion threads, try a forum search on the phrase: certified translation.

Since you are in the United States, the following applies. From www.notisnet.org/cliented/certification.doc:

What is a Certified Translation?

In the United States a certified translation consists of the following three parts:

1) The source-language (original) text

2) The target-language (translated) text

3) A statement signed by the translator or translation company representative, with his or her signature notarized by a Notary Public, attesting that the translator or translation company representative believes the target-language text to be an accurate and complete translation of the source-language text. Sometimes this statement bears the title “Certificate of Accuracy” or “Statement that Two Documents Have the Same Meaning.” Some translators will attach a Curriculum Vitae to the notarized statement.

Please note that any translator and any translation company representatives, regardless of credentials, may “certify” a translation in this way. A translator does not need to be “certified” in order to provide a “certified translation.” It is also important to realize that the Notary Public seal assures only that the signature is that of the person who presented him or herself to the notary. The Notary Public is not attesting to the accuracy of the translation.

What is a certified translator?

In contrast to many other countries, in the United States there is no federal or state licensing or certification for translators. There are some credentials available to translators working in some language pairs in this country, but they do not carry the same weight--in the market place or in the translation community--as federal licensing or certification in other countries.

The American Translators Association offers translator “accreditation” in some language pairs. ATA accredited translators are required to specify the language pairs and directions in which they are accredited. For example, a translator accredited in German to English is not necessarily accredited in English to German.

The Department of Social & Health Services in Washington State screens translators in several languages to translate DSHS materials. Translators who have passed this screening in a specific language pair may call themselves “DSHS Certified Translators.”

The Translators and Interpreters Guild, a national organization of independent professional language translators and interpreters, announced in September 2000 that it will be offering TTIG Certification for translators.

Please note that there are many languages for which there is no type of certification or screening available in this country. There are many excellent, experienced translators who are not accredited or certified.

In the United States it is not necessary to be certified or licensed in order to provide a certified translation for official use.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-11 23:41]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:59
French to Spanish
+ ...
Traductor jurado Feb 11, 2003

En español, es traductor jurado, es decir, un traductor reconocido oficialmente por el gobierno de algún país. Es decir, partiendo de la base que no cualquier persona puede traducir fidedignamente un documento oficial, un gobierno hace pasar exámenes a los traductores que quieran ser reconocidos como oficiales. Una vez reconocido como tal, dicho traductor dispone de un sello oficial que pone al margen de cada hoja traducida y que certifica, pues, que dicha traducción es correcta y válida p... See more
En español, es traductor jurado, es decir, un traductor reconocido oficialmente por el gobierno de algún país. Es decir, partiendo de la base que no cualquier persona puede traducir fidedignamente un documento oficial, un gobierno hace pasar exámenes a los traductores que quieran ser reconocidos como oficiales. Una vez reconocido como tal, dicho traductor dispone de un sello oficial que pone al margen de cada hoja traducida y que certifica, pues, que dicha traducción es correcta y válida para las autoridades.

Saludos. Juan.
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:59
English to German
+ ...
Well, actually not. Feb 11, 2003

A sworn translator is actually someone who has been appointed and authorized by a court (in some countries the Ministry of Justice or Foreign Affairs appoints these translators, different from country to country) and is therefore able to issue sworn translations.

The main point about this is that you have the authority to translate official documents and notarize them. This way it is ensured that the content of the document has been translated properly and is therefore as ge
... See more
A sworn translator is actually someone who has been appointed and authorized by a court (in some countries the Ministry of Justice or Foreign Affairs appoints these translators, different from country to country) and is therefore able to issue sworn translations.

The main point about this is that you have the authority to translate official documents and notarize them. This way it is ensured that the content of the document has been translated properly and is therefore as genuine as the original document is.

Just translating a document and having someone else notarize it isn\'t the same, actually.
Collapse

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 05:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would say it depends on the country Feb 11, 2003

At least in Panama, we get a license that makes us sworn translators, we have a seal that we use to seal the document, and that is enough. With the document already sealed by the translator, the client can take it to the Foreign Ministry and Notary and there shouldn\'t be any trouble.

Regards,

Dinorah

Andrea Gutiérrez
Andrea Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:59
English to Spanish
En España Feb 12, 2003

Cuando un documento se ha de presentar y ha de tener validez ante un organismo oficial, léase Juzgados, Registros, Administration Estatal, o Regional, o cualquier otro tipo de organismo que exiga que el documento original en otro idioma sea traducido legalmente, es necesario que dicha traducción vaya cerficicada o jurada por un Traductor Jurado del idioma correspondiente.

El Traductor Jurado en España es nombrado por el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, que mantiene un a
... See more
Cuando un documento se ha de presentar y ha de tener validez ante un organismo oficial, léase Juzgados, Registros, Administration Estatal, o Regional, o cualquier otro tipo de organismo que exiga que el documento original en otro idioma sea traducido legalmente, es necesario que dicha traducción vaya cerficicada o jurada por un Traductor Jurado del idioma correspondiente.

El Traductor Jurado en España es nombrado por el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, que mantiene un archivo de Traductores Jurados y que cuando ese documento va al extranjero certifica que dicho traductor tiene la capacidad de jurar la traducción.

El notario sólamente puede legitimar la firma del traductor pero nunca verificar la traducción. Por eso la figura del traductor jurado es como un Notario Lingüístico, responsable de que la traducción es fiel y correcta.
Collapse

Ángel Espinosa Gadea
Ángel Espinosa Gadea
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 12, 2003

Me ha molado la definición de Notario Lingüístico.

Sólo una puntualización: aunque esté capacitado para efectuar traducciones juradas, la nominación oficial (y tú lo sabes) del Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores es \"Intérprete Jurado\".
[addsig]

Chien Nguyen
Chien Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 17:59
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Vietnam's case_ notary translation Mar 6, 2014

For our Vietnam case, this is similar to public notary translator who will certify that his translation is complete and accurate and stamp under his "swear" statement.
Not all (Certified) translator can be a notary translator.
It is often that the translator is also the public notary.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It should also be noted that... Apr 5, 2014

...US notary publics are not permitted to notarize their own translations or statements. However, I have seen websites where many translators do seem to be offering this service and I do not know how they are circumventing the law.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
it is not about circumventing the law Apr 6, 2014

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

...US notary publics are not permitted to notarize their own translations or statements. However, I have seen websites where many translators do seem to be offering this service and I do not know how they are circumventing the law.

If a translator has been working for years with the same notary public office or offices, he can offer to have his translations notarized. Where is the ”circumventing”?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
As you know, in the US... Apr 7, 2014

...any individual (over age 18?) may become a notary public. All you have to do is send in your application and the fee and you get a stamp. However, you are not allowed to notarize/stamp your own documents.
Perhaps in large cities, there are notary public offices, but in most of the country, you go to your bank or to a friend of a friend who has the notary license.
This is what I was talking about: Joe Smith, Notary, cannot affix his own notary stamp on a birth certificate that he
... See more
...any individual (over age 18?) may become a notary public. All you have to do is send in your application and the fee and you get a stamp. However, you are not allowed to notarize/stamp your own documents.
Perhaps in large cities, there are notary public offices, but in most of the country, you go to your bank or to a friend of a friend who has the notary license.
This is what I was talking about: Joe Smith, Notary, cannot affix his own notary stamp on a birth certificate that he translated. Birth certificate translated by Joe Smith, notarized by Joe Smith.

lee roth wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

If a translator has been working for years with the same notary public office or offices, he can offer to have his translations notarized. Where is the ”circumventing”?

[Edited at 2014-04-07 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
In Brazil... Apr 7, 2014

Brazil is one of the few countries having a federal law requiring that all documents issued in a foreign (i.e. other than Portuguese) language for official purposes be attached to its sworn translation.

I get the impression that among these few, Brazil is the only country whose sworn translators are allowed to function as such exclusively within the national territory (not even in consulates/embassies abroad).

For instanc
... See more
Brazil is one of the few countries having a federal law requiring that all documents issued in a foreign (i.e. other than Portuguese) language for official purposes be attached to its sworn translation.

I get the impression that among these few, Brazil is the only country whose sworn translators are allowed to function as such exclusively within the national territory (not even in consulates/embassies abroad).

For instance, I know that there is one here in Sao Paulo who is sworn by both Brazilian and Spanish governments. Likewise I know another in Rio de Janeiro who is sworn by both Brazilian and Dutch governments.

Full details on sworn translations in Brazil are available in English on these pages.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
I agree with that, Apr 7, 2014

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Joe Smith, Notary, cannot affix his own notary stamp on a birth certificate that he translated. Birth certificate translated by Joe Smith, notarized by Joe Smith.

[Edited at 2014-04-07 13:53 GMT] [/quote]

I think that the scenario is the other way: translator Joe Smith works also as a notary. It is illegal (conflict of interest) for him to notarize his own translation, but ... his wife can get a notary stamp & seal and notarize Joe's translations. )))))

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
Not sure about that... Apr 7, 2014

lee roth wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Joe Smith, Notary, cannot affix his own notary stamp on a birth certificate that he translated. Birth certificate translated by Joe Smith, notarized by Joe Smith.

[Edited at 2014-04-07 13:53 GMT]

I think that the scenario is the other way: translator Joe Smith works also as a notary. It is illegal (conflict of interest) for him to notarize his own translation, but ... his wife can get a notary stamp & seal and notarize Joe's translations. ))))) [/quote]

I am not a notary, but at least in some states you cannot notarize documents for family.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Sorry, I couldn't resist... Apr 7, 2014

Jenn Mercer wrote:

lee roth wrote:

I think that the scenario is the other way: translator Joe Smith works also as a notary. It is illegal (conflict of interest) for him to notarize his own translation, but ... his wife can get a notary stamp & seal and notarize Joe's translations. )))))

I am not a notary, but at least in some states you cannot notarize documents for family.

If business is good, they can go to Nevada, get a divorce, return home and continue doing it happily ever after. No longer "family"...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do they mean by \"sworn\" translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »