Thread poster: Chris Bruton
Chris Bruton
Chris Bruton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Jul 21, 2014

Since posting my company to Blue Board, I have been getting scads of unsolicited emails from freelancers which are a pain to delete. Is there a way to block/control these?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:24
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I suggest you post a support ticket Jul 21, 2014

This is more a technical question to discuss with site staff.
For a practical answer to your question, scroll down and click Support at the bottom of the screen, and send send a request for to staff.

It may be the kind of compliment you find overwhelming
Outsourcers with good ratings are obvious targets for freelancers looking for work!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jul 21, 2014

You presumably posted your company on BlueBoard (which seems an unusual thing to do) because you wanted to expand your business. It seems a bit mean to complain because other people want to expand theirs.

Chris Bruton
Chris Bruton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unusual? Jul 21, 2014

Why is posting your company on Blue Board an unusual thing to do? Isn't that what it is for?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You don't need to be on Blue Board... Jul 21, 2014

... to get unsolicited emails from freelancers and translation agencies!

Branka Ramadanovic
Branka Ramadanovic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
I think Jul 21, 2014

everyone is entitled to market themselves, either this or that way...

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Marketing? Jul 22, 2014

Branka Ramadanovic wrote:

Yes, but intelligent marketing and mass-mailing an untargeted list of 'undisclosed recipients' are two very different things. I doubt I'm alone in being bombarded with CVs from 'translators' pushing their services at me and I don't even run an agency...

Anne Pinaglia
Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Italian to English
+ ...
SPAM: Emails are not from translators Jul 22, 2014

These are spam messages based on stolen CVs. Please see: http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/264187-spam_from_translators.html

I have had the same thing since my company was listed on Proz. After receiving several emails at the same time with the same content (supposedly coming from very different parts of the world), I put two and two together.

I ha
... See more
These are spam messages based on stolen CVs. Please see: http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/264187-spam_from_translators.html

I have had the same thing since my company was listed on Proz. After receiving several emails at the same time with the same content (supposedly coming from very different parts of the world), I put two and two together.

I have not yet found a way to block them, unfortunately.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:24
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
REMOVED Jul 22, 2014

have removed the post because it was not ready to go before I hit "post".

[Edited at 2014-07-22 10:55 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:24
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Most of them are fake CVs, Jul 22, 2014

So it is not legit or honest marketing. They are not entitled to market themselves this way. See another post above.

Be careful. Some day you might receive your own resume sent back to you by someone else to apply for a job.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A normal marketing strategy Jul 22, 2014

Apart from 'fakes', who may get your e-mail from anywhere, the Blue Board is an effective marketing strategy for translators.

Of course, I don't want to market my services to rogue customers. So whenever I have a low tide (fortunately this hasn't happened for a while lately), I visit the Blue Board, pick the 'good' prospects, and visit their web site, to check if my services and language pairs match theirs, and to learn about their recruitment procedures.

If they have a
... See more
Apart from 'fakes', who may get your e-mail from anywhere, the Blue Board is an effective marketing strategy for translators.

Of course, I don't want to market my services to rogue customers. So whenever I have a low tide (fortunately this hasn't happened for a while lately), I visit the Blue Board, pick the 'good' prospects, and visit their web site, to check if my services and language pairs match theirs, and to learn about their recruitment procedures.

If they have an online application form, I fill it in. If they request applicants to e-mail a CV to a certain address, before sending, I re-check on the likelihood of someone there actually reading it (an intuitive process). If they say they are not recruiting, I leave them alone.

If you feel sure that the flood of applications results from your appearance on the Blue Board, apparently there is the possibility of placing a message on your BB record, to the tune of, "Applying translators: Please do not e-mail us your CV; it will be deleted, unopened, unread. Instead, please fill in our online application at (URL) for this purpose."

BTW, if your online application page does not exist (404 error), doesn't work properly, or simply lacks a "Submit" button, you won't be alone.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Exactly... Jul 22, 2014

Karen Stokes wrote:

Yes, but intelligent marketing and mass-mailing an untargeted list of 'undisclosed recipients' are two very different things. I doubt I'm alone in being bombarded with CVs from 'translators' pushing their services at me and I don't even run an agency...

Some 3-4 years ago I posted a project on one of the translation boards (a one-off project) for certain languages and I had been bombarded by emails ever since, for languages that had nothing to do with my project. It was a public board (connected to Google) so I was smart enough not to put my main email as a contact email.

OP: Is there a way to change your email on the public board by an alternative email, for the purpose of your main email not getting clogged by rubbish?

Don't these people realize that this kind of marketing is counterproductive? This in itself tells a lot about them and their skills.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, you're not alone... Jul 22, 2014

Karen Stokes wrote:

... and all these CVs (fake or real) I get every day are immediately deleted without even being read!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unsolicited offers from freelancers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »