John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:52
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2014

I am considering transitioning from just using my own name, as I have for many years, to registering a business name. There are a variety of reasons: my bank prefers a business account to be in a business name, liability, insurance issues, etc.

But I am wondering how to approach my existing clients with whom I have dealt for years under my personal name, both agencies and end clients. Is the change likely to raise any concerns with them? Can anyone relate their experience in maki
... See more
I am considering transitioning from just using my own name, as I have for many years, to registering a business name. There are a variety of reasons: my bank prefers a business account to be in a business name, liability, insurance issues, etc.

But I am wondering how to approach my existing clients with whom I have dealt for years under my personal name, both agencies and end clients. Is the change likely to raise any concerns with them? Can anyone relate their experience in making this transition?
Collapse

Teresa Reinhardt
Teresa Reinhardt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:52
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Might not be such a good idea Aug 1, 2014

John,

just my 2 cents, and from a US point of view, to boot.

1. Having a business name has no impact on your liability. Maybe you mean incorporating? Those are two different things. Incorporation is usually done to avoid personal liability (apart from tax reasons, for which you should consult your accountant).

2. Whenever I have changed only one tiny thing (cell phone no., email or physical address…), I have lost at least one or two clients. Not to menti
... See more
John,

just my 2 cents, and from a US point of view, to boot.

1. Having a business name has no impact on your liability. Maybe you mean incorporating? Those are two different things. Incorporation is usually done to avoid personal liability (apart from tax reasons, for which you should consult your accountant).

2. Whenever I have changed only one tiny thing (cell phone no., email or physical address…), I have lost at least one or two clients. Not to mention the dozens who never get around to getting the changes made at all their offices (Accounting, most notably - and no, I don't always have their address so that I can do it myself).

3. So if your bank insists, you may be able to get your own name as a business name, with Translations (or whatever) added. That should do it. Here, I would have to register such a business name (or any business name, such as Whirligig Enterprises…good names are taken, it seems) with the State (Oregon) and pay a small fee. That's it. Renewable every other year online.
Has the advantage that for communication with your clients, nothing of importance changes.

4. I wouldn't neglect the cachet that your name will have by now. Hard-earned, valuable, and not-to-be-sneezed-at. You may have to start all over, reputation- and memory-wise. Is it worth it? And I have also noticed that some companies prefer to deal with an individual rather than another company (I guess they know how much overhead they will be asked to pay…). I myself do, too.

Best,
Teresa
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

I have the same issue Aug 1, 2014

Instead of creating a new name, I've used my initials and surname: DJHartmann. This has kept everyone familiar and lost no one.

PS if you change emails, forward emails from your old account to new one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transitioning to a business name

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »