Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2014

Again it is difficult to find the right forum for this posting, so probably moderators will move it around...

I would believe sending an SMS would be the preferred method of contacting a freelancer when s/he does not answer an e-mail within a certain period. But in fact I have never got a business related SMS. Why is that so? When being with other people in different surroundings (opera, museum, walking etc.) it is much easier to answer an SMS than answering the phone. And the SMS w
... See more
Again it is difficult to find the right forum for this posting, so probably moderators will move it around...

I would believe sending an SMS would be the preferred method of contacting a freelancer when s/he does not answer an e-mail within a certain period. But in fact I have never got a business related SMS. Why is that so? When being with other people in different surroundings (opera, museum, walking etc.) it is much easier to answer an SMS than answering the phone. And the SMS will also be delivered when your phone is not On at the moment.
What do you think?
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Some use it Aug 8, 2014

One of outsources does send me SMS. But it’s rather an exception. And yes, this convenient way of communication deserves more attention in spite of instant messaging etc.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Email Aug 8, 2014

Why not just get your email sent through to your phone? Then you can reply when you're on the move and it is just as convenient as replying to a text message.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thought so too Aug 8, 2014

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Why not just get your email sent through to your phone? Then you can reply when you're on the move and it is just as convenient as replying to a text message.

But in fact nobody gets my answers when I send mail from my phone. But that is not the subject here
Even 10 years back nobody of my clients used SMS.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-08-08 09:37 GMT]

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:07
Danish to English
+ ...
Now, where IS that phone?? Aug 8, 2014

I just don't check my phone for text messages very often. My clients would be better off phoning me, at least I would notice that. But they are used to me responding to emails pretty fast, so there's no need to text me...

Personally, I also find text messages TOO informal for business purposes, but then again, "I'm just an old-fashioned girl..."

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Just 160 characters Aug 8, 2014

I guess that's because text messages allow too few characters to write a business proposal.
Cheers
Gianni
(103 characters used)

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:07
German to English
+ ...
My customers don't text either Aug 8, 2014

Or rather, one does, but I haven't yet received a text from her. I wouldn't mind texts from clients, but mainly I get e-mails, so I look at them on my smartphone. I do prefer that to phonecalls because in the mornings I am running around to the kids' schools, etc. and it's hard to talk on the phone.

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Not everybody has a smartphone Aug 8, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

I just don't check my phone for text messages very often. My clients would be better off phoning me, at least I would notice that. But they are used to me responding to emails pretty fast, so there's no need to text me...

Personally, I also find text messages TOO informal for business purposes, but then again, "I'm just an old-fashioned girl..."

Being pretty old-fashioned myself, I'm restricted to phone calls and SMS when I am not sitting by my computer so I happily accept SMS for business purposes.

[Edited at 2014-08-08 13:39 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Why would you want them to? Aug 8, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When being with other people in different surroundings (opera, museum, walking etc.) it is much easier to answer an SMS than answering the phone. And the SMS will also be delivered when your phone is not On at the moment.
What do you think?

Why would you want to receive work-related messages when you are not at work?

If I am at the opera, in a museum, walking, etc., I'm in my private time and the last thing I would want is a message about business.

That's why I'm very careful not to give my mobile phone number out to customers and colleagues (they can e-mail me, if they need to).

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
RU OK 4 1K wds 4 EOB 9/8? Aug 8, 2014

Does that have a professional ring about it? I know correct phrasing is possible but text-speak took off immediately and gave SMS the wrong register for us.

I really think that all businesses who operate over the internet should be capable of receiving/sending emails wherever they are, and that means a smartphone.

Until something comes along to replace email. Probably won't be long judging by how fast things change nowadays. I remember the fax arriving and telex going
... See more
Does that have a professional ring about it? I know correct phrasing is possible but text-speak took off immediately and gave SMS the wrong register for us.

I really think that all businesses who operate over the internet should be capable of receiving/sending emails wherever they are, and that means a smartphone.

Until something comes along to replace email. Probably won't be long judging by how fast things change nowadays. I remember the fax arriving and telex going out of fashion and I have to say I hope email stays around as long as I'm working.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
One client Aug 8, 2014

I have a client that messages me for interpreting jobs. I kind of like them, but I don't really interpret anymore.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
... Aug 8, 2014

It happens, but the nobility of the practice can be questioned because its pedigree may be traced to grammar schools.

In other words, it doesn't make you look serious and business-like. Perhaps standardized messages are an exception, say, there is something in your mail, please check and reply.

Obviously, it's not a problem if a human person sends an SMS when you aren't picking up the call or especially wh
... See more
It happens, but the nobility of the practice can be questioned because its pedigree may be traced to grammar schools.

In other words, it doesn't make you look serious and business-like. Perhaps standardized messages are an exception, say, there is something in your mail, please check and reply.

Obviously, it's not a problem if a human person sends an SMS when you aren't picking up the call or especially when it shows you must have declined it, implying you can't talk at the moment but might perhaps call back as soon as you're free.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Texting has its place - not everywhere has internet access Aug 8, 2014

The great thing about emails and text messages is that communication is asynchronous. Phone calls - particularly with some customers - don't give you time to think about what you want to say. Emails and texts are also traceable whereas phone calls are often hard to recall with any precision.

And in those parts of the world where you can get a mobile signal but not internet access (unless you have satellite broadband),
... See more
The great thing about emails and text messages is that communication is asynchronous. Phone calls - particularly with some customers - don't give you time to think about what you want to say. Emails and texts are also traceable whereas phone calls are often hard to recall with any precision.

And in those parts of the world where you can get a mobile signal but not internet access (unless you have satellite broadband), text messages can be a useful substitute for email.
Collapse

Aakash5555
Aakash5555
India
Local time: 06:37
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Some clients still use this mode Aug 8, 2014

I have some clients who first SMS me and it they dont receive any response form my side then they call me to confirm whether I am available for Job or not.
So, I can sat that SMS is still in use, but not in a big way.

Claudio LR
Claudio LR
English to Italian
+ ...
Because they have a landline phone at their office Aug 8, 2014

All my clients are companies or institutions, so when they can't reach me by e-mail or have something very urgent to tell me they simply call me via their office phone. The only rare times it happened was when some PMs sent me an sms for special projects from home at night or during the weekend (but that was agreed in advance generally)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does nobody seem to use SMS?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »