Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Was not serious about being a translator Oct 28, 2014

Ine Ramaekers wrote:

I also don't get why anyone would do this, it is obvious they never intended to translate the text in the first place, and it's not like they could get any info on my client from the text I sent them and I would never pay them without getting a translation.

In my opinion, the translator was not serious about being a translator for living. They may have tried it (and delivered couple of assignments on time), but then realised it was not for them.

Ill? No problem. Nothing prevented them, however, from dropping couple of lines saying: "sorry, I cannot do it. very ill". You would then find another solution and would keep that good translator for future projects.

No translator who is serious about their profession would ever compromise their career in such an irresponsible manner.

Vince1974
Vince1974  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing else happened. Oct 29, 2014

I never heard from the first translator again, his profile is still active on ProZ though.

I got another translator to do the work and eventually the work was delivered with considerable delay.

Not much else to report to be honest.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
HONEST Oct 29, 2014

Vince1974 wrote:

I never heard from the first translator again, his profile is still active on ProZ though.

I got another translator to do the work and eventually the work was delivered with considerable delay.

Not much else to report to be honest.

-- and to be dishonest?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think you should report this to Proz.com Oct 30, 2014

If this translator endorses Proz.com's professional guidelines, I think you should report him/her to Proz.com. I am not sure what the consequences would be, perhaps none (I have reported a dishonest translator who is lying in his profile about his ATA membership and Proz.com hasn't done anything about it), but your situation is different, so maybe it's worth a try. If this translator is a member of a translators' association, you certainly can report him/her.

Proz.com's professional
... See more
If this translator endorses Proz.com's professional guidelines, I think you should report him/her to Proz.com. I am not sure what the consequences would be, perhaps none (I have reported a dishonest translator who is lying in his profile about his ATA membership and Proz.com hasn't done anything about it), but your situation is different, so maybe it's worth a try. If this translator is a member of a translators' association, you certainly can report him/her.

Proz.com's professional guidelines for translation service providers

Professional translators and translation companies:
represent their credentials, capabilities and experiences honestly
answer, courteously, inquiries related to services, fees and available equipment,
accept only assignments that they have the knowledge, resources and time to do well
disclose, prior to accepting any assignment, any biases that may have relevance
agree, before work starts, what is to be delivered, as well as how, when, and who will bear any delivery cost
agree, before work starts, on payment amount, timing and currency, and who will bear any payment cost
set their rates at levels that allow them to deliver, on an ongoing basis, the quality levels that their clients require ProZ.com global directory of translation services

treat all sensitive information as confidential, and take steps to protect that confidentiality
take any and all steps necessary to ensure consistent delivery of work of a high professional standard
accept responsibility for the quality of work they deliver, even when that work has been subcontracted
do not attempt to change, after work has begun, agreed-upon terms (except by mutual consultation)
do everything possible to meet agreed-upon terms, even when unforeseen problems are encountered

do not directly contact end clients, or subcontractors, without permission
attempt to resolve disputes directly among parties involved
strive to continually improve their own skills
do not unjustly criticize other professionals or their work
capitalize on opportunities to further the industry as a whole
do not engage in conduct or communication unbecoming of a professional
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Incredible! Oct 30, 2014

I just read all posts, and I really find it incredible, that is, how could a (real) translator do this?

I am in the business to find and keep clients, not loosing them. If there is a problem, please inform the client, unless you are in hospital, or (worse) dead, then you would have an excuse!

Ever heard from him?

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:20
English to Polish
+ ...
... Oct 30, 2014

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I just read all posts, and I really find it incredible, that is, how could a (real) translator do this?

It's not that rare. Failing deadlines, falling silent and going back on previous arrangements does put a stain on our collective image. Translators who don't do the foregoing sort of stand out.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator not delivering

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »