Brazil
Local time: 06:47
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Saying No feels empowering Sep 2, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:
I used to do that when I just started working as a freelancer, and it indeed felt empowering, but soon I realized that there is absolutely no need to be rude to potential clients, as it doesn't bear fruit. There's just nothing to be gained from such approach.

I agree. A full reply as to what made you reject the proposal is better for the industry. It helps teaching the customer what is wrong about their proposal. Even if it does not pay to you personally in a short run, gradually educating and advising customers against a low-rate-low-quality world does pay in the long run to the translation community as a whole.

Well put.

If rate is low or does not meet my job expectations, I'd rather write back saying why I can't accept the job. Even if that sounds rude or whatever supplier might think, in the end they will know my reasons.

Opinions vary.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Rudeness" is not out of place in responding to ridiculous offers Sep 2, 2014

Although I generally agree that a reasoned rejection is better than a plain "no," I don't think one need be overly concerned about coming across as "rude" in one's response. After all, anyone representing a translation agency can be expected to have a general sense of the range of acceptable rates for translation in a particular pair. In other words, if they are making a lowball offer, they are most likely to be well aware that they are doing so....

[Edited at 2014-09-02 13:38 GMT]

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 05:47
English to Finnish
+ ...
somebody will likely accept the offer Sep 2, 2014

What is ridiculous to you, might not be that to others.

[Edited at 2014-09-02 14:18 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 03:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Name vs. no name Sep 2, 2014

If it is a mass email, not addressed to me by name - you can usually see that at the top - I don't respond. Otherwise I respond briefly, thank them for the inquiry but say I am not interested in the job. An existing or potential client, regardless of whether or not they address me by name, would not offer me such low rates.

On one occasion I explained to the sender but he assumed that I was asking for more money. He offered me 2 cents more and I had to decline again. So now I don't
... See more
If it is a mass email, not addressed to me by name - you can usually see that at the top - I don't respond. Otherwise I respond briefly, thank them for the inquiry but say I am not interested in the job. An existing or potential client, regardless of whether or not they address me by name, would not offer me such low rates.

On one occasion I explained to the sender but he assumed that I was asking for more money. He offered me 2 cents more and I had to decline again. So now I don't get into a discussion about rates anymore.

[Edited at 2014-09-02 15:27 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I prefer a 3-line reply to a single word Sep 2, 2014

A one-word reply isn't my way - as others have said, it could be taken in so many ways. It could even give the impression that you're too stressed out at the moment doing jobs at that rate to take on any more, i.e. you're the sort of word-churning machine they're looking for.

My normal response is:
a) a brief thanks for the interest in my services
b) a statement of my rate and other terms
c) an invitation to make contact again if ever they have a need for my servic
... See more
A one-word reply isn't my way - as others have said, it could be taken in so many ways. It could even give the impression that you're too stressed out at the moment doing jobs at that rate to take on any more, i.e. you're the sort of word-churning machine they're looking for.

My normal response is:
a) a brief thanks for the interest in my services
b) a statement of my rate and other terms
c) an invitation to make contact again if ever they have a need for my services, at my rate.

Once or twice that's resulted in a second offer, maybe increasing from a third of my rate to a half. That gets a much colder and shorter reply reminding them that I've given my rate. Not long ago an agency sent me three separate jobs all for the same derisory rate. The third time, they were told that if I ever received a similar email I would report them to ProZ.com as a spammer (they came via my profile here) - haven't heard from them since. I've also had the old chestnut about other translators' rates. But that's easy to counter - how about other clients' budgets?
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:47
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being sensible vs. carefree Sep 2, 2014

Lingua 5B wrote:
You must have your reasons why it's so important for you to prove points using logic while the OP is quite emotional...

Thanks, Lingua 5B! That was exactly my point. I didn't mean to argue at all. I don't advocate or practice this curt approach as a rule, which is precisely why sometimes an emphatic rejection just 'hits the spot.'

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'Only' Sep 2, 2014

Tomás, the person behind this mass mailing knew exactly what was wrong with their offer:

they wrote:
We can only offer 0,04€ per word...

[Edited at 2014-09-02 17:21 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Agreed Sep 2, 2014

finnword1 wrote:

[Edited at 2014-09-02 14:18 GMT]

Some people are fortunate to have a steady stream of well-paid translation work. Some of us are not. Some of us would be glad to be offered a job, even if the pay rate is low.

The reality is, there are many of us out here who are not earning the rates recommended by the ProZ guidelines.

[Edited at 2014-09-02 18:05 GMT]

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Immaterial Sep 2, 2014

finnword1 wrote:

Sure, no one would argue with that. But that's not what my post is about. I'm not even ranting about low rates, nor am I 'showing off' my own rates or steady stream of work. I'm talking about saying No when you feel like it. It's good for your psyche!

Would it change anything for you if the rate in the email were 0.01 EUR/word? Then imagine that rate if it's easier.

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope your situation improves Sep 2, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:
Some people are fortunate to have a steady stream of well-paid translation work. Some of us are not. Some of us would be glad to be offered a job, even if the pay rate is low.

The reality is, there are many of us out here who are not earning the rates recommended by the ProZ guidelines.

I didn't mean to offend anyone not loaded with work at decent rates. If I did, please accept my apologies. But I'm not boasting. That's not what this post is about. It's about not bending over backwards for someone trying to take advantage of you, when all you have to do is just say No. The rates, subject matters, etc. mentioned in the email are immaterial.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Nothing wrong with saying no ... Sep 2, 2014

… but 'no, thank you' is even better.

Mikhail Kropotov
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being nice Sep 2, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

There's a saying, "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice." There's another, too: "Nice guys come last." Gotta take a stand once in a while.

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
I agree with the concept... Sep 2, 2014

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

There's a saying, "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice." There's another, too: "Nice guys come last." Gotta take a stand once in a while.

… but the single word 'no' doesn't really have enough impact to convey the whole weight of your moral objection. They might just think you're lazy or inarticulate

Just my opinion - I like your topic!

[Edited at 2014-09-02 18:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-02 18:23 GMT]

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:47
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Actually, yes Sep 2, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I concur. It sounds stronger.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't forget: "No" Sep 2, 2014

is a complete sentence.

Maybe curtailed - as is the rate.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saying No feels empowering

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »