Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Reality vs Theory (or, ‘A Kaleidoscopic Symphony of Eurogibberish’)
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Local time: 08:38
Slovak to English
Sulking! Oct 22, 2014

I want one for Slovak! Nothing sounds very good, though.

But to prove my point, although I generally refuse all requests for proofreading texts translated by non-natives, I agreed to take a gander at what was presented to me as a 'very decent' translation containing gems such as ' we do not discriminate because of human race'. Wish I had saved that document because it was about 8 pages of rip-roaring, belly-aching, unadulterated fun. But I decided not to take the job...
See more
I want one for Slovak! Nothing sounds very good, though.

But to prove my point, although I generally refuse all requests for proofreading texts translated by non-natives, I agreed to take a gander at what was presented to me as a 'very decent' translation containing gems such as ' we do not discriminate because of human race'. Wish I had saved that document because it was about 8 pages of rip-roaring, belly-aching, unadulterated fun. But I decided not to take the job
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:38
English to Spanish
Espanglés Oct 22, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

franglais

I just love that all the other "languages" mix the English word "English" and the English word for the other langauge, but for the mixture of French and English, it's a mix of the two French words.

English:
Spanish + English = Spanglish

Spanish:
Español + Inglés = Espanglés

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Naming Oct 22, 2014

Hmm, I have two questions:

• What would you call all of the funny mixtures mentioned on the Wikipedia page*, as a group?

… "interfered with languages", "mixed languages", "blended languages", ...?

• And what would one such blend be called?

The author of the Wikipedia page refers to the individual blends as "interference-language names". Off the top of my head: "blend", "mixture", "interfered with language", etc.

... See more

• What would you call all of the funny mixtures mentioned on the Wikipedia page*, as a group?

The author of the Wikipedia page refers to the individual blends as "interference-language names". Off the top of my head: "blend", "mixture", "interfered with language", etc.

Is there a linguist in the thread!? I'm sure there must be a technical term for these things.

* Chinglish , Czenglish , Denglisch , Dunglish , Engrish , Japlish , Finglish , Franglais , Greeklish , Hinglish , Konglish , Manglish , Poglish , Porglish , Runglish , Serblish , Spanglish , Swenglish , Taglish , Tanglish , Tinglish, Turklish, Yinglish, etc. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_transfer )
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Interlanguage Oct 22, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlanguage

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 22, 2014

Michele Fauble wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlanguage

Thanks Michele!

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Although to be fair Oct 22, 2014

I sometimes come across gems from native speakers who clearly don't understand the text and write what's in the dictionary (never a good idea in Dutch I have found).

The last howler was in a contract: 'ieder voor zich'. It was translated as 'every man for himself'. To be fair, that's also a possible translation, but only if it's used as the expression and not in a contract.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another variant Oct 22, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

franglais

I just love that all the other "languages" mix the English word "English" and the English word for the other langauge, but for the mixture of French and English, it's a mix of the two French words.

English:

Spanish:

In Argentina, I always heard it called "Casteyanqui".

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
native vs non-native Oct 22, 2014

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

I sometimes come across gems from native speakers who clearly don't understand the text and write what's in the dictionary (never a good idea in Dutch I have found).

The last howler was in a contract: 'ieder voor zich'. It was translated as 'every man for himself'. To be fair, that's also a possible translation, but only if it's used as the expression and not in a contract.

Yes, it is a trade-off of sorts: an echte Hollander might understand a Dutch text better, but might not be able to render it in English-sounding English, while a born and bred Brit, or an American, might do a better job on the target side, while perhaps not understanding the text as well as a Dutchman. I suppose each side has its benefits.

Michael

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Spanglish, Espanglés, Casteyanqui, Espanglish Oct 22, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

franglais

English:

Spanish:

In Argentina, I always heard it called "Casteyanqui".

You are right, Triston, "Casteyanqui" is another variant, and a fourth one is "Espanglish".

By the way, the fourth one, "Espanglish", is the only one that appears in the online Diccionario de la Real Academia Española.

[Edited at 2014-10-22 23:36 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
This map showing percentage of population able to hold a conversation in English in Oct 23, 2014

the EU by country might be of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/stuffdutchpeoplelike/photos/pb.144960202222585.-2207520000.1414055775./806568899395042/?type=3&theater

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dutch native speakers or English native speakers? Oct 23, 2014

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

Gems can produced by both sides. Copy/pasting straight from a dictionary is rarely a good idea in any language. It's not what translation is about.
Who do you mean here?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I love Dutch - I can almost read it Oct 23, 2014

... but as I know from proofreading a dear friend's writings, it is a minefield of false friends and good laughs over the gems for those who can read English, German and Scandinavian languages.

Thanks for a wonderful thread!

And to add to the list of flavours of English:
Danglish
Norglish
Swenglish.

From Danish, Norwegian and Swedish

Often deceptively close to the real thing if produced by humans, but some have started usi
... See more
... but as I know from proofreading a dear friend's writings, it is a minefield of false friends and good laughs over the gems for those who can read English, German and Scandinavian languages.

Thanks for a wonderful thread!

And to add to the list of flavours of English:
Danglish
Norglish
Swenglish.

From Danish, Norwegian and Swedish

Often deceptively close to the real thing if produced by humans, but some have started using Google to help them, and it is NOT an improvement!!!!

[Edited at 2014-10-23 10:33 GMT]
Collapse

Kirsten Bodart
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
both ways Oct 23, 2014

writeaway wrote:

Gems can produced by both sides. Copy/pasting straight from a dictionary is rarely a good idea in any language. It's not what translation is about.
Who do you mean here?

This one was by a native English speaker (the word order in the entire text was off at any rate), but I get them in both directions.

Some are just because some translators clearly don't proofread their work without the target and others because they don't really understand the text or they don't know how to say it in the target language (whether they are native speakers or not).

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are buy it or you are buy it not? Oct 23, 2014

I have been living in Belgium for more than 7 years now. Yes, I studied the Dutch language (called "Flemish" here) for years, but still cannot speak it properly.

Recently I stepped in a supermarket in the Dutch speaking area and expressed healthy interest in a product that was locked behind a glass. I kindly asked a member of the "personnel" to open the glass thing for me and let me hold the article, so I could decide whether to buy it or not. She answered in English:

"
... See more
I have been living in Belgium for more than 7 years now. Yes, I studied the Dutch language (called "Flemish" here) for years, but still cannot speak it properly.

Recently I stepped in a supermarket in the Dutch speaking area and expressed healthy interest in a product that was locked behind a glass. I kindly asked a member of the "personnel" to open the glass thing for me and let me hold the article, so I could decide whether to buy it or not. She answered in English:

"But you are buy it you you are buy it not?"

Does that qualify to be considered "Dunglish"? Then I understand your concerns.

Just a general remark, I do not translate into Dutch (not even from it), nor do I translate into English. I only translate into Spanish and that keeps me busy enough. I just wonder why a person may decide to translate into a language that they do not speak properly? Masochism?
Collapse

Kirsten Bodart
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
That's nothing Oct 24, 2014

When she speaks English and she wants to say 'in order to' (om te in Dutch or um zu in German), my mother uses the antiquated construction 'for to', like in 'for to have' or 'for to eat'. I've told her millions of times that she isn't Shakespeare and that this construction was abandoned probably during his time when English became modern, but she still uses it.

To be fair, though, she never had any serious classes, and she learnt her English passively from Agatha Cristie.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reality vs Theory (or, ‘A Kaleidoscopic Symphony of Eurogibberish’)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »