Thread poster: Ildiko Santana
Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 04:09
Romanian to English
+ ...
a different opinion Oct 31, 2014

In the US. in order to work with certain agencies that were granted contracts by the DOJ (Department of Justice), DoD (Dep. of Defense), DHS, FBI, USSS a freelance translator needs to submit certain data, including fingerprints. I have done this for the last 8 years and nothing horrible happened to me. The very first time, a FBI agent came to my house and talked to me and my neighbors as well as with all the contacts I mentioned on the application. The third party gathers first all the informat... See more
In the US. in order to work with certain agencies that were granted contracts by the DOJ (Department of Justice), DoD (Dep. of Defense), DHS, FBI, USSS a freelance translator needs to submit certain data, including fingerprints. I have done this for the last 8 years and nothing horrible happened to me. The very first time, a FBI agent came to my house and talked to me and my neighbors as well as with all the contacts I mentioned on the application. The third party gathers first all the information and submits it to the governmental agency that requested the background check. Usually the background-check is performed every 5 years. I am a freelance translator and interpreter and I am not employed by any agency.

Best,
Lee
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have done the same Oct 31, 2014

lee roth wrote:

In the US. in order to work with certain agencies that were granted contracts by the DOJ (Department of Justice), DoD (Dep. of Defense), DHS, FBI, USSS a freelance translator needs to submit certain data, including fingerprints. I have done this for the last 8 years and nothing horrible happened to me. The very first time, a FBI agent came to my house and talked to me and my neighbors as well as with all the contacts I mentioned on the application. The third party gathers first all the information and submits it to the governmental agency that requested the background check. Usually the background-check is performed every 5 years. I am a freelance translator and interpreter and I am not employed by any agency.

Best,
Lee

I had to do this once for a new client that won a government contract. My "facilities" were inspected and I had a white van parked at the entrance to my neighborhood for a couple of days. I never even translated anything for them. I always had projects come in from other clients so I couldn't take on the super spy stuff. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for any of it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Third-party background check?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »