Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Oct 27, 2014

Dear Colleagues,
I would appreciate your input on how to handle requests (from agencies) such as the following:

"...our clients have become increasingly concerned of late about data security, with many requesting that our independent contractors undergo background screening. (...) we will therefore be conducting background checks on our freelance translators. The checks will be performed by a reputable third-party..."

I would hate to lose otherwise excellen
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
I would appreciate your input on how to handle requests (from agencies) such as the following:

"...our clients have become increasingly concerned of late about data security, with many requesting that our independent contractors undergo background screening. (...) we will therefore be conducting background checks on our freelance translators. The checks will be performed by a reputable third-party..."

I would hate to lose otherwise excellent clients, but my instincts tell me not to sign their release form and I'd rather not grant an outside service, such as ADP, unlimited access to my personal information for I, too, have become 'increasingly concerned about data security'.. What do you think?
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:48
French to German
+ ...
I would not agree Oct 27, 2014

I would say no!

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the rationale? Oct 27, 2014

If you applied for a position at FBI or any other public service, I could understand that the future employer would like to check you background.

An online check, if proper, would do, in our case. No need to grant unlimited access to anything.

After all, what are they going to check? Your solvency? You will not have to pay them. It will be, hopefully, the other way round.

There is an active thread in the forum here relating to whether or not to submit a co
... See more
If you applied for a position at FBI or any other public service, I could understand that the future employer would like to check you background.

An online check, if proper, would do, in our case. No need to grant unlimited access to anything.

After all, what are they going to check? Your solvency? You will not have to pay them. It will be, hopefully, the other way round.

There is an active thread in the forum here relating to whether or not to submit a copy of an ID to agencies, when and if required. The majority's standpoint is that no, it is not a good idea, for "boogies" may steal our IDs and impersonate us. Imagine what can happen if you give away your full details to a third party. These may end up in the computers of "fourth parties", and "fifth parties", and it may go on and on.
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reply Oct 28, 2014

Ildiko Santana wrote:

"...I have become increasingly concerned of late about data security and, like many colleagues, I am requiring agencies to undergo background screening. (...) I will therefore be conducting background checks on your agency. The checks will be performed by a reputable friend-of-a-friend of my brother-in-law, as soon as he’s released from prison..."

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
They can do any checks they like as long as they don't bother me Oct 28, 2014

(i.e. like credit providers do) because I have no power over availability of my public data.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Clearance? Oct 28, 2014

Merab Dekano wrote:

What is "an online check"?

Merab Dekano wrote:

There is an active thread in the forum here relating to whether or not to submit a copy of an ID to agencies, when and if required. The majority's standpoint is that no, it is not a good idea, for "boogies" may steal our IDs and impersonate us. Imagine what can happen if you give away your full details to a third party. These may end up in the computers of "fourth parties", and "fifth parties", and it may go on and on.

I think the OP's client means "clearance", so the issue has nothing to do with "whether or not to submit a copy of an ID to agencies"

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
to "google" soemone Oct 28, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

What is "an online check"?

For example, to "google" someone.

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I mentioned there was a separate thread on the "ID issue" Oct 28, 2014

jyuan_us wrote:

I think the OP's client means "clearance", so the issue has nothing to do with "whether or not to submit a copy of an ID to agencies"

I mentioned there was a separate forum topic on submitting an ID to agencies. I understand what the OP meant.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
This is why we need a "like" button! Oct 28, 2014

Robin Levey wrote:

"...I have become increasingly concerned of late about data security and, like many colleagues, I am requiring agencies to undergo background screening. (...) I will therefore be conducting background checks on your agency. The checks will be performed by a reputable friend-of-a-friend of my brother-in-law, as soon as he’s released from prison..."

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I was just thinking the same thing, Terry! Oct 28, 2014

But ProZ has refused to implement one. All you can do in response to Robin's very witty comment is to write another comment saying it's very witty.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I understand it now. Thanks! Oct 28, 2014

Merab Dekano wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

I mentioned there was a separate forum topic on submitting an ID to agencies. I understand what the OP meant.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:48
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
What are they going to check Oct 30, 2014

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have received and refused several requests this year, as I agree with most of you in general that a) this should not be a criterion and b) we, translators, could use such background check done on our clients (but never ask for it). This latest request coming from one of my top clients, I am reluctant to just simply refuse, but you have convinced me not to comply, either. In the meantime, I will keep working with them.. : )

Merab Dekano wrote:

That is an excellent question. According to their email, "The checks will be performed by a reputable third-party, such as ADP, and will involve the following: 1. Identity verification, 2. Education verification, 3. Criminal background check" (all of this had been performed before they assigned the very first translation project to me years ago). According to their consent form, "The background check includes the following information: Social Security no. verification, Criminal records, Education records" What stops me from signing their forms was on the CA release authorization, "a consumer report, as defined under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, will be requested". For those of you not familiar with US consumer reports, they include screening of bank account activities and credit history. A consumer report is an employment background check, whereas "the information gathered for employment background checks can range from simply verifying a Social Security number to interviewing your neighbors as character references. A prospective employer will typically check credit reports, arrest and incarceration records and your medical, military and educational history." Except, I am not applying for a job, credit card or a loan, I simply want to complete translations and get compensated for my services as an independent contractor. So, I fail to see how gaining access to my records will assure their end-clients of my trustworthiness...

[Edited at 2014-10-30 16:12 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
But you already work with them, don't you? Oct 30, 2014

Ildiko Santana wrote:
1. Identity verification

Surely they know that you are who you say you are by now, if they've paid you
2. Education verification

Sure, when they don't know anything else about you. But they've already seen your work, paid you for it.
3. Criminal background check" (all of this had been performed before they assigned the very first translation project to me years ago)

Really? You let them check your criminal record? Though I have absolutely nothing to hide, I certainly wouldn't submit to that for a client. If I'd been done for stealing a bottle of milk from Tesco's or even for murdering my mother (:eek:) what possible relevance could that have to my (and in your case, your proven) ability to translate their texts?

On the other hand, I think we have every right to see their full company records. In France (the only stats I have) it costs about €40 to see them so I've never bothered apart from with non-payers. I'd love to have them up-front each time.

The whole thing is completely nonsensical and ****-about-face, if you ask me. Yet another ridiculous attempt at domination.

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
To my fans (more than somewhat OT) Oct 30, 2014

philgoddard wrote:
I was just thinking the same thing, Terry!
But ProZ has refused to implement one. All you can do in response to Robin's very witty comment is to write another comment saying it's very witty.

Thanks, you're too kind!

Let me take the opportunity to clarify that it's the 'friend-of-a-friend' who's expected to be freed from prison soon. My brother-in-law's case is still pending...

Jennifer Levey
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scaremongering Oct 30, 2014

Ildiko Santana wrote, quoting the self-incriminating agency:
A prospective employer will typically check credit reports, arrest and incarceration records and your medical, military and educational history.

I've lived in a dozen countries in the past 60+ years, some of them with pretty murky histories in terms of human rights, right to privacy, and such-like 'social and democratic niceties'. And in all of them, without exception, I have observed that it is exceedingly difficult to obtain that kind of information about one-self - let alone about third parties.

If you're referring to the CI-Agency maybe it's true; otherwise, it's just dumb scaremongering.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Third-party background check?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »