How many translators watermark their CVs/resumes?
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:41
Italian to English
Dec 21, 2014

In light of the various scams involving CVs or resumes (agencies using those of translators not working for them to win contracts, and so on and so forth), I was wondering how many translators watermark such documents before sending them?

And is this really an effective strategy, in your opinion?

The point of this thread is not to discuss whether translators should have resumes, as I know this is a topic of debate among many!

TIA and best wishes for
... See more
In light of the various scams involving CVs or resumes (agencies using those of translators not working for them to win contracts, and so on and so forth), I was wondering how many translators watermark such documents before sending them?

And is this really an effective strategy, in your opinion?

The point of this thread is not to discuss whether translators should have resumes, as I know this is a topic of debate among many!

TIA and best wishes for the festive season, for those who are celebrating.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:41
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thanks for the reminder :) Dec 21, 2014

I was on the point of doing that a few months ago and then a job came in. I'm sure it's a good idea and I will find time to do it now.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
English to French
+ ...
I do Dec 21, 2014

I use Acrobat Watermark feature, and password-protect the file so that it can only be displayed and printed.

When I am even more suspicious, I use a SnagIt image of the page in a password-protected PDF file.

I have seen too many cases of my résumé used by an agency to obtain a contract from one of their prospects, and thereafter never heard from these agencies.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:41
English to Russian
+ ...
does it work? Dec 22, 2014

Plain retyping a resume will destroy this type of protection.

[Edited at 2014-12-22 13:30 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No method is 100% "secure" Dec 22, 2014

Plain retyping a resume will destroy this type of protection.

Of course you are right, Sergei. If you get right down to it, NO method is 100% secure against those determined to use our data for dubious purposes.

But I think it acts as something of a deterrent. Combined with good sense and other measures, I think it is a reasonable method of dissuading the worst offenders.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:41
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I do Dec 22, 2014

JL01 wrote:

I use Acrobat Watermark feature, and password-protect the file so that it can only be displayed and printed.

When I am even more suspicious, I use a SnagIt image of the page in a password-protected PDF file.

I have seen too many cases of my résumé used by an agency to obtain a contract from one of their prospects, and thereafter never heard from these agencies.

on the same grounds as you. Besides, I submit my CV only in case of an actual assignment offer.

Arturo Delgado
Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
They Asked for Copy Dec 22, 2014

Just recently, a company advertised here asking for ATA certified translators, and they asked that you send a copy of your ATA certification.
To be safe, you can give your certification number and tell them to go to www.atanet.org/verify.
For the reasons that you are discussing here, I would not provide a copy of my certificate until I am hired.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
They don't know what they are talking about Dec 22, 2014

ATA certification is attested by the ATA web site, not by a paper certificate.

Arturo Delgado wrote:

Just recently, a company advertised here asking for ATA certified translators, and they asked that you send a copy of your ATA certification.
To be safe, you can give your certification number and tell them to go to www.atanet.org/verify.
For the reasons that you are discussing here, I would not provide a copy of my certificate until I am hired.

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
make an infographic résumé Dec 22, 2014

I have created an infographic résumé with indesign. I think this is a safe way to protect the personal data

[Edited at 2014-12-22 23:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many translators watermark their CVs/resumes?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »