Agencies insisting you use a particular CAT tool
Thread poster: Paris Brooker
Paris Brooker
Paris Brooker  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:16
Turkish to English
May 3, 2015

I've had this with a few agencies; they insist that I complete the job with a particular CAT tool. Does anyone else find this as irritating as I do? I've made the investment of time and money to learn my CAT tool (Trados in my case), only then to have agencies insist I use one of their choosing (Matecat and Across recently). I get that this is a Project Management issue, but having to install/become familiar with a new piece of software is a drain on my time and productivity. Thoughts...?

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
That's a first May 3, 2015

I've only had the opposite problem, with some clients insisting on Trados when I have Wordfast... I have no experience with the CATs you mention, but my Trados-using clients convert their TM to a .tmx and I can use it in WF. I wonder if you could suggest that for Across and Matecat?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:16
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Been there many times May 3, 2015

Yes, I have the same experiences with agencies which insist on using other CAT tools.
In my case, I use Trados like you do. Up till now, I've come across MemoQ, Wordfast and other unknown CAT tools unique to one agency only which I've never heard of.

I've had cases where this particular agency which on and off gives me work assumes that I work with Wordfast (they don't even ask!) , and they send me a file which I cannot open (I forget the format's name) with Studio, so I hav
... See more
Yes, I have the same experiences with agencies which insist on using other CAT tools.
In my case, I use Trados like you do. Up till now, I've come across MemoQ, Wordfast and other unknown CAT tools unique to one agency only which I've never heard of.

I've had cases where this particular agency which on and off gives me work assumes that I work with Wordfast (they don't even ask!) , and they send me a file which I cannot open (I forget the format's name) with Studio, so I have to write to them in advance that I don't use Wordfast so please send me a Word file in bilingual format each time.

This whole incident is very irritating, and I don't have the time nor the intention to learn to use a new CAT tool, since 99% of the time, the project is a rush job and I know that I cannot get used to the unknown CAT tool in 3 days to translate 7000 source words.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Stealing May 3, 2015

Paris2083 wrote:

I've had this with a few agencies; they insist that I complete the job with a particular CAT tool.

Maybe that's so that they can (a) force you to charge less (b) force you to give them your TMs so that they can benefit from them, at no additional cost to themselves.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:16
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nothing new May 3, 2015

Either they insist on using Studio or memoQ: Of course they expect the packets in return after processing and not the sdlxliff or mqxliff files only, because that would cause too much work for them. Most of the PMs don´t even know from where in the folder structure of Studio to take the sdlxliff files or where to put them back when translated...
They can´t force me to use Studio and I would have already left this "industry" when I had no other choice than working inside Studio. I develop
... See more
Either they insist on using Studio or memoQ: Of course they expect the packets in return after processing and not the sdlxliff or mqxliff files only, because that would cause too much work for them. Most of the PMs don´t even know from where in the folder structure of Studio to take the sdlxliff files or where to put them back when translated...
They can´t force me to use Studio and I would have already left this "industry" when I had no other choice than working inside Studio. I developed my own strategie to cope with Studio packets. These methods don´t work with memoQ when you don´t own that CAT.
I wonder whether there is still one outsourcer who does not insist on using a specific CAT.
Collapse

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here May 3, 2015

Actually, that is the one reason I don't own a CAT tool: my clients either provide their own or they don't care about CAT at all.
And yes, indeed it is a time-waste for a translator, with a no-added value only a loss.
One such client of mine requested to create a TM for them by introducing words in specific files. Wjich meant I had to double-click on a word, to select a file and to save the translation there. Imagine the additional workload for a translator.
I am thinking of up
... See more
Actually, that is the one reason I don't own a CAT tool: my clients either provide their own or they don't care about CAT at all.
And yes, indeed it is a time-waste for a translator, with a no-added value only a loss.
One such client of mine requested to create a TM for them by introducing words in specific files. Wjich meant I had to double-click on a word, to select a file and to save the translation there. Imagine the additional workload for a translator.
I am thinking of updating my charging policy and I might introduce a surcharge for usage of such specific CAT tools.
Collapse

Paris Brooker
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Time=Money May 3, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

I am thinking of updating my charging policy and I might introduce a surcharge for usage of such specific CAT tools.

I think this will be what I do in future.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Research compatibility workarounds? May 3, 2015

Maybe a way to approach this is to research compatibility workarounds that would allow you to use your preferred tool to translate their files. Trados Studio is pretty good for finding workarounds. I don't have much experience with Matecat or Across but there is compatibility between MemoQ files and Studio files, and I would expect similar workarounds exist for using other CAT tool files in Studio as well. You could check the SDL OpenExchange to see if there are plug-ins for this.

I
... See more
Maybe a way to approach this is to research compatibility workarounds that would allow you to use your preferred tool to translate their files. Trados Studio is pretty good for finding workarounds. I don't have much experience with Matecat or Across but there is compatibility between MemoQ files and Studio files, and I would expect similar workarounds exist for using other CAT tool files in Studio as well. You could check the SDL OpenExchange to see if there are plug-ins for this.

It's irritating, but think of it this way: like you, they have invested in a certain CAT tool, and they want to use it so they're getting their money's worth -- same reason for you wanting to use your own tool. If you can find ways to work around this, then they are still able to process the files on their end using their own tool and you are able to work in your tool of choice.
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
The best compromise I've found May 3, 2015

I use Star Transit NXT, and under pressure from two of my best agencies I've invested in Studio, simply to receive and return packages, since I can easily export the bilingual
.sdlxliff files to .ttx via the Open Exchange SDLXLIFF to Legacy converter (free if you have Studio installed) then import them back into the Studio project the same way. I'd say 60% of my agencies use Studio (so it's worth my while having it, as they're more likely to offer big jobs to me than to translators who do
... See more
I use Star Transit NXT, and under pressure from two of my best agencies I've invested in Studio, simply to receive and return packages, since I can easily export the bilingual
.sdlxliff files to .ttx via the Open Exchange SDLXLIFF to Legacy converter (free if you have Studio installed) then import them back into the Studio project the same way. I'd say 60% of my agencies use Studio (so it's worth my while having it, as they're more likely to offer big jobs to me than to translators who don't have Studio).

(Incidentally, for anyone interested in Transt NXT, the latest Service Pack (8) can now import and export Studio packages (.sdlppx in, including any bundled .sdltms, .sdlrpx out)).

For agencies who use Déjà Vu, I simply ask them to provide a DVX "external view", either in .rtf "two-column" format or in .xlf format. DVX is very flexible in that respect (although I don't like or use it for the translation process per se).

I haven't ever been asked to use other CAT tools apart from the above three: here in France, Trados (Legacy then Studio) seems to have captured the lion's share of the market.

I lay my cards on the table before I start working with them (my terms and conditions - fair game, since some of them require you to sign their terms and conditions), so they know what tools I use. I simply refuse to work with new agencies who insist on a particular CAT tool (other than the above), and all the more so if they insist on me using their online tool (we aren't all blessed with a superfast broadband connection, and online tools are pretty restrictive in terms of what local resources one can use - TMs, termbases, etc.).

I also try and "educate" them by pointing out that there's a huge difference between the project management process and the translation process. Many would agree that Studio has been designed primarily from a PM perspective (that's where the big bucks are). But translators who are happy with another CAT tool that they've been using for years can hardly be expected to switch to another one on a whim - life's too short to learn the inner workings of another CAT tool, a new set of keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Richard
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Maurice Lisbona
Maurice Lisbona
United States
Local time: 02:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Extremely annoying May 3, 2015

It's extremely annoying, yes! Even more that some CAT tools do not run on Mac's. So either you have to invest buying a damn PC, or partitioning your drive and having to buy Windows. This is totally absurd. The client (or agency) should not demand nor the use or the type of CAT tool used.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 20:46 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
May 4, 2015

[Edited at 2015-05-04 08:38 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do they also insist on a particular language? May 4, 2015

Paris2083 wrote:
I've had this with a few agencies; they insist that I complete the job with a particular CAT tool. Does anyone else find this as irritating as I do?

Do they also insist on a particular language. That's even more irritating. What's wrong with the language that I invested most of my life in? I guess the client's needs are just different from what I can deliver.

Paris Brooker
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hilarious... May 4, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Paris2083 wrote:
I've had this with a few agencies; they insist that I complete the job with a particular CAT tool. Does anyone else find this as irritating as I do?

Do they also insist on a particular language. That's even more irritating. What's wrong with the language that I invested most of my life in? I guess the client's needs are just different from what I can deliver.

What a stupid comparison to make. What eventually comes out of a CAT tool is a word/pdf document and a TM; my point is insisting that me having to adapt to a particular CAT tool to deliver these two things is irritating, because it takes time to learn the idiosyncrasies of said tool. It's not that I can't deliver it, it's just that they are putting what I deem to be an unnecessary obstacle in my way of working as quickly and efficiently as possible, particularly as in the two particular instances I'm thinking of, the agencies have approached me.

If you disagree with my point that's fine, but can I suggest you support your response with something other than irrelevant sarcasm.

Ana Lourenço
Ana Lourenço  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agencies insisting you use a particular CAT tool May 4, 2015

Finally a forum about something I've been thinking about since I began my career almost three years ago.
It's like asking a plumber to use a specific kind of machinery to fix you sewage. It's so annoying!

Maurice Lisbona wrote:

It's extremely annoying, yes! Even more that some CAT tools do not run on Mac's. So either you have to invest buying a damn PC, or partitioning your drive and having to buy Windows. This is totally absurd. The client (or agency) should not demand nor the use or the type of CAT tool used.

[Edited at 2015-05-03 20:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies insisting you use a particular CAT tool

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »