Astonished - are these deadlines normal?
Thread poster: Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:52
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
May 21, 2015

Yesterday in evening I finished my work, switched off my PC and had my late evening.
Today I find an email: "Service Request - Disregard". Hummm... Checking the previous emails of the night. And: "Service Request": sent at 20.27, May 20. Deadline: 8.00, May 21.
Is this normal?? Are translators expected to sleep over their computers and be ready for anything at any time?
I was keen about cooperating with this particular agency as they work in my absolutely favourite field but li
... See more
Yesterday in evening I finished my work, switched off my PC and had my late evening.
Today I find an email: "Service Request - Disregard". Hummm... Checking the previous emails of the night. And: "Service Request": sent at 20.27, May 20. Deadline: 8.00, May 21.
Is this normal?? Are translators expected to sleep over their computers and be ready for anything at any time?
I was keen about cooperating with this particular agency as they work in my absolutely favourite field but like this... Feel confused.
Another one - Some time ago, I noticed a job posting for 220K words. It was posted at somewhat half past noon and the delivery deadline was at 2 p.m. in two days. I was wondering how one on earth would manage that, especially that it had still take some time for sourcing the vendor and confirmation of the order. In the end, not even 48 hours were given for that amount of work. Or are such ads meant for corporate vebdors only?
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 08:52
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Different time zones? May 21, 2015

I get a lot of requests during late evening and in the night from agencies the other side of the Atlantic ocean. I usually read, but don't answer them. If some really tempting offer arrives, I might respond, but it is rare. And I just won't work on weekends or during the night. Family and private life are more valuable for me. (I can see myself handle this differently if I had no family, though.)

And those giant jobs, to be done yesterday? I wouldn't really want to be a part of that
... See more
I get a lot of requests during late evening and in the night from agencies the other side of the Atlantic ocean. I usually read, but don't answer them. If some really tempting offer arrives, I might respond, but it is rare. And I just won't work on weekends or during the night. Family and private life are more valuable for me. (I can see myself handle this differently if I had no family, though.)

And those giant jobs, to be done yesterday? I wouldn't really want to be a part of that. I just can't imagine that any reasonable quality can be achieved by splitting a large job - even among good translators. Style and terminology will always be all over the place, and I don't want to contribute to anything like that.

Best regards,
Anna
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Equally astonished May 21, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

..... Some time ago, I noticed a job posting for 220K words. It was posted at somewhat half past noon and the delivery deadline was at 2 p.m. in two days.....

220K words would take me approx. 73 days, working flat out, at my normal speed of 3,000 words (completed, checked, and ready to go) per day. That's about 3 months !

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
Local time: 08:52
German to English
Rush jobs can be a headache.. May 21, 2015

...but often there is no other way. In engineering when a company bids for a project, the time allowed to cobble the documentation together can be very limited and co-operative efforts in translation are essential to complete the bid.

The customer is willing to accept variations in style and terminology and is just glad to have the translation in on time to stand a chance of winning the order. It might mean burning the midnight oil, but such jobs are usually well paid. I've never do
... See more
...but often there is no other way. In engineering when a company bids for a project, the time allowed to cobble the documentation together can be very limited and co-operative efforts in translation are essential to complete the bid.

The customer is willing to accept variations in style and terminology and is just glad to have the translation in on time to stand a chance of winning the order. It might mean burning the midnight oil, but such jobs are usually well paid. I've never done this sort of co-operative work through an agency though, only for direct customers.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 21, 2015

[Edited at 2015-05-21 20:59 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
When jobs get rushed, stuff like this happens: May 21, 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/14/chinese-fans-left-close-to-tears-by-clumsy-avengers-age-of-ultron-subtitles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Astonished - are these deadlines normal?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »