Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Impact of Brexit on translation industry?
Thread poster: sam@fr-uk
Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:48
Serbian to English
+ ...
Les Turkeys and The Moutons May 27, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

[Edited at 2015-05-27 12:12 GMT]

Not so sure about that.

I could give few examples where turkeys did vote for Christmas, and with an enthusiasm that made "Les moutons de Panurge" positively look like a bunch of raving anarchists in comparison.

just a small digression ...

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Cameron victory and all that May 28, 2015

I thought that with Cameron and the Conservatives winning a comfortable victory in this election, the spectre of a UK exit from EU has receded a bit. Isn't Cameron for remaining in EU, and didn't he say he will negotiate with the Mandarins in Brussels about special provisions for UK?

Anyway, even if UK exits, will it really matter? UK has always considered itself an outsider to Europe and has taken pride in its island status for centuries, and with the rise of the US and the decline
... See more
I thought that with Cameron and the Conservatives winning a comfortable victory in this election, the spectre of a UK exit from EU has receded a bit. Isn't Cameron for remaining in EU, and didn't he say he will negotiate with the Mandarins in Brussels about special provisions for UK?

Anyway, even if UK exits, will it really matter? UK has always considered itself an outsider to Europe and has taken pride in its island status for centuries, and with the rise of the US and the decline of UK's empire, it has sought consolation and satisfaction in being the de facto 53rd state of the sole superpower.

However, internal politics in UK may ensure that a separation does not actually happen, for with the Scots showing a distinct inclination to do a UK on the United Kingdom and plough their separate path as an independant nation, any similar move by UK visavis the EU will only strengthen the resolve and conviction of Scots to do likewise, and this might act as a deterrent on the UK populace from voting for an exit from the EU. However, if the Brits chose not to exert prudence, we could have a situation of the UK moving out of EU, Scotland moving out of UK, and Scotland moving into the EU! So when the circle completes, even if UK exits the EU, EU will still be left with about half of UK within it.

On whether a UK exit from EU will impact on the status of English in EU, I think, English is far too deeply entrenched in EU, both in the bureaucracy as well as generally, for anything to change in a hurry. The importance of German and French may increase within Europe over time, but English will continue to remain as a major link language of Europe. This will also be greatly influenced by the overwhelming dominance of the US, an English-speaking country, on economic affairs.

The position of English in the EU is similar to that of Hindi in the Indian subcontinent - that of a common language that links all other cultures and linguistic groups. English will continue to play this important role in the EU whether UK remains in EU or not.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sounds chillingly like the partition riots that followed India's partition in 1947 May 28, 2015

sam@fr-uk wrote:

Having been an ex-pat myself, I sympathise with your concerns, Sheila. We can only hope that governments would have the good sense to introduce reciprocal arrangements for those already working in the countries affected, otherwise the situation would be chaotic for all concerned. The French consulate estimated that more than 300,000 French citizens live in London alone.

I'm sure there are many ways you could help spread awareness, starting with any eligible voters you know in the UK. You could also write to newspapers and post on their online forums.

In any case, it's not a foregone conclusion!

History seems to have a macabre tendency of repeating itself.

This sounds alarmingly like the mood in the Indian subcontinent at the time of the retreat of the British in 1947 and the subsequent vivisection of India into two antagonistic poles, leading to massive killings (millions), and huge transfers of population. It was all brought about by inept politicians, an insensitive colonial power and a total misreading and misunderstanding of the consequences of the purported move.

I only hope such a disaster is not in the making in EU with the imminent-seeming exit of UK from EU.

But it always pays to learn from history, and in this case, this is a history with which the UK is very closely involved. It should look back into the sunset years of its Indian empire and pick up lessons from its myriad mistakes of those times, so that human misery, dislocation, and violence can be avoided a second time in its history.

If this situation is not handled with sensitivity, thousands of Brits in Europe and an equal number of Europeans in UK are bound to get affected.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:48
Italian to English
In memoriam
Been there, done that May 28, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I imagine we won't even be given a vote, even though it affects our lives so fundamentally.

With any luck, the criterion for eligibility will be the same as last time (i.e. UK citizenship).

At the April 1975 Common Market referendum, there was no postal vote for UK passport holders resident abroad, within or outwith the Common Market, but we were able to pop along to our local embassy or consulate on polling day and register a preference.

The recent referendum in Scotland is not really comparable. The organisers wanted to find criteria for eligibility other than UK citizenship because it was felt that only those with a vital interest in Scotland - however defined - should vote.

[Edited at 2015-05-28 09:17 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
The EU influences 65% of UK regulation... May 28, 2015

RobinB wrote:
But equally, the UK will continue to have to comply with the vast majority of existing EU legislation, as well as future legislation - even though it won't have any influence at all on that legislation.

In what way is your "sophistic" argument above superior to my "sophistic" argument? You make assertions without any evidence, without even a persuasive argument.

Product safety standards are one area that I would agree would have to be maintained now and future - every country on the planet that sells consumer products to Europe needs a CE mark. But the rest?

There is no reason to assume that the number of regulations imposed from above on food, transport, construction and many other areas would not drop dramatically. To quote a recent report that lays out its methodology and calculations very carefully, "Between 1993 and 2014, 64.7 per cent of UK law can be deemed to be EU-influenced."

As for "influence" within the EU, can you point to a single proposal that has been placed in front of the Council of Ministers to which the UK objected and that the UK managed to prevent? There are none. And the UK's voting power has, naturally enough, been steadily diluted over time with the expansion of the EU membership.

As a non-EU language pair translator, I don't see that the EU has much relevance to me in professional terms. A Brexit, or the threat of one, together with surging anti-EU sentiment in other countries, might shock the EU into adopting a more cautious approach towards potential future regulation of the translation industry, but I rather doubt it.

Regards
Dan

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Pack your bags... May 28, 2015

we will be EU citizens in a non-EU country and not allowed to stay...

I'm married to a British citizen, so I could apply for naturalisation... cost? £1,005.00

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

but yes, and what about all the EU citizens who have settled in the UK (my children have German passports), and all the young people who come and work here for many different reasons.

[Edited at 2015-05-28 13:08 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impact of Brexit on translation industry?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »