Evanthia Angelopoulou
Evanthia Angelopoulou
Greece
Local time: 19:03
English to Greek
+ ...
Aug 28, 2015

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has been paid by termwiki and if you think it is worth translating 1000+ terms (and their definitions!!) in order to eventually get paid 0,04 $ per term.

Is this a good way to market yourself and attract more clients or am I simply going to spend endless hours on the site for nothing?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Tahira Rafiq asked to delete the post.
Evanthia Angelopoulou
Evanthia Angelopoulou
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 28, 2015

Seriously? They will terminate my profile? Has this happened to you?
Thank you for the warning!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Avoid Aug 28, 2015

It's a waste of your time.

$0,04/word is bad enough for running text. For individual terms, with definitions, it's an absolute disaster. Some people have no shame.

Michael

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:03
English to French
+ ...
You answered your own question Aug 28, 2015

Eva A. wrote:

Hello,

am I simply going to spend endless hours on the site for nothing?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You'll know Aug 28, 2015

If you find something that you feel you want to do for free, or nearly free, for the common good, you'll recognise it. You won't feel the need to ask.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think this kind of site should be avoided by all means Aug 29, 2015

Shameless human exploitation in the name of a good cause. That's all.

[Edited at 2015-08-29 00:27 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What will be the use of your profile in there even if they don't terminate it? Aug 29, 2015

Eva A. wrote:

Seriously? They will terminate my profile? Has this happened to you?
Thank you for the warning!

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think the sponsor of the site may have made a lot of money Aug 29, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:
, for the common good,

Or has the potential to make a lot of money by selling the term base built by linguists like the starter of the thread almost for free.

So the whole design of the program was not for common good. It is for profit.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 02:03
Another option Aug 29, 2015

I started the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace as a way that translators could make money by selling terminology glossaries they have created. Translators set the price for their glossary and TM-Town takes a 20% commission on any sales.

It is still young and I can't promise you'll make any money, but I plan to keep expanding it with extensions into various CAT tools. The idea being that if someone has the ex
... See more
I started the TM-Town Terminology Marketplace as a way that translators could make money by selling terminology glossaries they have created. Translators set the price for their glossary and TM-Town takes a 20% commission on any sales.

It is still young and I can't promise you'll make any money, but I plan to keep expanding it with extensions into various CAT tools. The idea being that if someone has the extension installed, it would search the terms in the project you are translating and recommend the glossaries with the most hits - and you could review the ratings of those glossaries and if so inclined purchase it from right inside your CAT tool. Again, this functionality is not there yet, currently you can only purchase the glossaries from the TM-Town web page, but this is part of the future vision.

IMO it is also a way to market yourself as an expert in a certain field. If you have glossaries in your specialty that translators have highly reviewed, I think this is one way to demonstrate your expertise and stand out from the crowd.

--sorry for the self-promotion but thought it was relevant for this topic--

Kevin

PS - The glossaries stay yours and TM-Town does not acquire, use, sell them, etc. (you sell them).
Collapse

Evanthia Angelopoulou
Evanthia Angelopoulou
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Much appreciated Aug 29, 2015

Thank you all for your feedback! You are all right! I won't contribute to making this guy richer and if I find something in the future that I feel I would like to devote my time to I will recognise it!

Evanthia Angelopoulou
Evanthia Angelopoulou
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Profile Aug 29, 2015

jyuan_us according to their manager the way you market yourself is that your edited/translated terms appear on the search engines and are linked to your profile only a short period of time after you work on them!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Tahira Rafiq asked to delete the post.
jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Your effort in translating an entry in a term base is worth $0.30 Aug 29, 2015

Eva A. wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has been paid by termwiki and if you think it is worth translating 1000+ terms (and their definitions!!) in order to eventually get paid 0,04 $ per term.

Is this a good way to market yourself and attract more clients or am I simply going to spend endless hours on the site for nothing?

not $0.04.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
So having a glossary makes you an expert!? Aug 29, 2015

Kevin Dias wrote:

IMO it is also a way to market yourself as an expert in a certain field.

To me this seems rather a ridiculous idea and I thought (silly me) that it was the other way round, that a good glossary would be useful to an expert in a field.

I hope my doctor doesn't think along your lines!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TermWiki

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »