Thread poster: jyuan_us
Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:25
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Flat Oct 1, 2015

Background sounds is just something flat. And it's such a common place: whenever I hear a classical music in the background, in crescendo - I don't need to see more: a killing is coming. But such musical background becomes obnoxious, annoying is too mild to say.
Butthe sound in The Great Gatsby outweighed everything: tremendous noice in the scenes of tragic romancy, abnormal noice where people just chat... I don't remembre another movie where the soundrtack so awfully spoiled the story tel
... See more
Background sounds is just something flat. And it's such a common place: whenever I hear a classical music in the background, in crescendo - I don't need to see more: a killing is coming. But such musical background becomes obnoxious, annoying is too mild to say.
Butthe sound in The Great Gatsby outweighed everything: tremendous noice in the scenes of tragic romancy, abnormal noice where people just chat... I don't remembre another movie where the soundrtack so awfully spoiled the story telling.

Anna - they block the passages in Lisbon, too But mostly I got curious, not annoyed though, in my first days of living in the Algarve: there is this street in a town, the width allows one car only per drive on the both sides of the tide channel, so the car in front of me stops and the lady in it opens the window and starts shouting "Hello" to another lady on the second floor in the house across the street. So they chatted (everyone around in several miles could hear) for a while, with me and other cars waiting behind. It was all new to me, I observed the scene with curiosity, but some of the cars lined up behind me started beeping
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 03:25
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Waiting behind chatty drivers Oct 1, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

It was all new to me, I observed the scene with curiosity, but some of the cars lined up behind me started beeping

Happens here, too. Two cars passing in opposite directions on a narrow country road - and the drivers just stop, open their windows and start a conversation. The difference between Algarve and Beira Baixa is that here nobody dares to beep - they wouldn't want to interrupt a neighbourly chat. I am a bit torn in these situations. The German in me wants to start beeping, and push people, shopping cars, 80-year olds in Aixams, chatty neighbours and other slowpokes out of the way and get the "§$%!! country up to normal speed - but then it wouldn't be Portugal anymore, would it?

However, the same country has cured me of getting annoyed about background music and noise. In a country where even in public departments and kindergardens TVs are running permanently, there is just is no other way but to blend out the noise. I am writing this with the noise of the TV sounding up from the ground floor...

Romina Navarro
Romina Navarro
Spain
English to Spanish
People who do not respect others (in every way) Oct 1, 2015

That includes those disorganized people at the supermarket queue, and also disorganized drivers and pedestrians on the streets every day, because that is a clear sign of not caring for the others around.

I can name lots of examples in Buenos Aires, given that I go to work in my motorcycle:

The bus drivers on a narrow street in the rush hour who stop the huge busses diagonally or in the middle of it to load or unload passengers, leaving no space for the other vehicles to
... See more
That includes those disorganized people at the supermarket queue, and also disorganized drivers and pedestrians on the streets every day, because that is a clear sign of not caring for the others around.

I can name lots of examples in Buenos Aires, given that I go to work in my motorcycle:

The bus drivers on a narrow street in the rush hour who stop the huge busses diagonally or in the middle of it to load or unload passengers, leaving no space for the other vehicles to pass by.

The taxi drivers who do the same thing as above.

The car drivers who turn left or right from THE MIDDLE of an avenue (with or without using the cornering lights), stopping half of the traffic to allow them to pass.

The car/truck/bus drivers or bikers who think the rearview mirrors are just ornaments and 'forget' to look at them before changing lanes.

The bikers who take the sidewalks to avoid the traffic jams, not caring for the pedestrians.

The pedestrians who run to the crosswalk when the traffic light is just turning red for them, so every driver have to wait for them to cross the street. And if you dare touch them be ready to be prosecuted!

The pedestrians who cross the street in the middle of the block instead of using the crosswalks at the corners, and again, if you dare touch them...

In the rush hour with slow moving traffic or even stopped due to a traffic jam, there are pedestrians who cross the street passing in between cars and busses without thinking that the traffic can start moving at any time, or that a motorcycle or a bicycle actually CAN pass by between two cars because of their size, and once again, if you dare touch them...

The general aggressiveness of drivers and pedestrians, pushing each other to the limit of their tolerance.

And I could go on and on and on. The list is endless! That's why BA is known as a 'furious city'.

PS: Replying to this post has made me feel a grumpy old lady
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm glad I never had to drive while living there! Oct 1, 2015

Romix wrote:

...The general aggressiveness of drivers and pedestrians, pushing each other to the limit of their tolerance.

And I could go on and on and on. The list is endless! That's why BA is known as a 'furious city'.

PS: Replying to this post has made me feel a grumpy old lady

I was lucky enough to be a little outside of BA, San Fernando, Escobar (Garín), Tres de Febrero (Loma Hermosa) and Jose C. Paz, but I was still always terrified whenever in or around moving vehicles, haha.

Lately, I've been annoyed with a client that believes that he is bilingual and keeps making changes (creating errors) in my translations.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:25
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have been annoyed by several online dictionaries in my target language Oct 1, 2015

which has a lot of machine translated entries. Very annoying indeed.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:25
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm annoyed at the websites of some clients Oct 1, 2015

which don't contain the physical addresses of the owners. It is a very hard task to figure out where these clients are located.

I'm kind of annoyed, too, by the fact that you have to fill out a form on the "contact" page of some clients. It is rude to ask you to fill out a form before you can get in touch with them.

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Annoyed with one agency Oct 2, 2015

Well, since you're offering an opportunity to moan, I'll go for it:

Back in August I was approached by a new agency, they said they were looking to put together a team for an ongoing project.
All I could check about them seemed fine, so I started the all too familiar CV/test/20-page paperwork to read and sign palaver.
Rates were agreed fine. At this stage I was obviously hoping that some work would come out of all the hassle.
All I got was a Friday night request f
... See more
Well, since you're offering an opportunity to moan, I'll go for it:

Back in August I was approached by a new agency, they said they were looking to put together a team for an ongoing project.
All I could check about them seemed fine, so I started the all too familiar CV/test/20-page paperwork to read and sign palaver.
Rates were agreed fine. At this stage I was obviously hoping that some work would come out of all the hassle.
All I got was a Friday night request for a fairly complex proofreading job to hand out on the Tuesday morning (I offered a Thursday delivery, but they clearly managed to find someone who was totally out of work and could start immediately or at least squeeze it between other jobs).

And what do I see now? They're pretty much posting the "offer" they sent me back in August here on the job board.
My conclusion is that despite all the ISO this and that, quality and so on pretence, they're on the look out for cheap offers.

Never mind...
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Tom, well... Oct 2, 2015

... Cameron, if I remember rightly, referred to the leader of the Opposition as a muttering idiot and was called to order by the Speaker. I think of Cameron as the chattering Prime Minister. He rarely stops.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What have you been annoyed by/with/at recently

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »