jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:59
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 30, 2015

I'll start with this one:

I have been assigned some proofreading projects, in which virtually every sentence contained some errors. I think the translators who had submitted translations of this quality were very annoying.

[Edited at 2015-09-30 04:35 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was once annoyed at this: Sep 30, 2015

Errors are found in the answer keys of the test samples designed by some fellow translators for my agencies. Some critically wrong conversions of phrases were considered as correct by the designers of the tests. Some of them are ridiculous errors, for example, "base" in its chemical sense was translated as "basic" in its general sense. "Radical" as a noun meaning a group of atoms behaving as a unit in a number of compounds was translated as "far-reaching" or "thorough".

A good thing
... See more
Errors are found in the answer keys of the test samples designed by some fellow translators for my agencies. Some critically wrong conversions of phrases were considered as correct by the designers of the tests. Some of them are ridiculous errors, for example, "base" in its chemical sense was translated as "basic" in its general sense. "Radical" as a noun meaning a group of atoms behaving as a unit in a number of compounds was translated as "far-reaching" or "thorough".

A good thing is that 80% or more of the test participants translated these words correctly.

[Edited at 2015-09-30 04:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-30 04:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-30 12:13 GMT]
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes, but... Sep 30, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

I'll start with this one:

I have been assigned some proofreading projects, in which virtually every sentence contained some errors. I think the translators who had submitted translations of this quality were very annoying.

This is the case in most proofs I do. I stopped being annoyed by it, it's just life. I am more annoyed by things that happen around me, by stupid politicians and stupid people generally.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:59
English to Thai
+ ...
Translation and DTP Sep 30, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

I do English - Thai translation as a core service. Many agencies told me to translate and asked about issues of Thai DTP. This is annoying since Thai fonts are not roman letters and DTP processes have a number of weak points. I needed to repeatedly explain how Thai fonts are and how translators cannot offer services for DTP processes.

Soonthon L.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Thank God for the remote control device Sep 30, 2015

Not only recently, more long-term, I find the excessive sound effects in TV and radio programmes very annoying. Electronic drumming noises, additional loud background noise pasted in for no apparent reason.

Can we have a vote?

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
But Sep 30, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

A good thing is that 80% or more of the test participants translated these words correctly.

The other 20% quote $0.01 and get the job.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha, that is very annoying. Sep 30, 2015

Joakim Braun wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

The other 20% quote $0.01 and get the job.

[Edited at 2015-09-30 12:11 GMT]

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 01:59
English to Romanian
Internal rates Sep 30, 2015

Romanian domestic rates. Again.

Like 8 RON (lei) (less than 2 EUR) for 2,000 characters without spaces, medical translation, English to Romanian.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Annoyance Sep 30, 2015

Dragon Dictate doesn't understand me properly when I have a cold.

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Context-free questions. Oct 1, 2015

Most recently
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/french_to_english/archaeology/5953450-cuiller_de_charron.html

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Yesterday and always Oct 1, 2015

As EvaVer says, everyday surrounding things can be annoying, not translation.
Like, say, disorganized people: standing in a queue for a while (10-15 min) in a supermarket, or at an ATM, then their turn comes, all the purchases are put by a cashier in bags, and only then (!) such customers start (!) looking for their paycards, supermarket cards, discount vouchers... All the other people standing behind and waiting meanwhile.
That's something I will never get used to seeing without get
... See more
Like, say, disorganized people: standing in a queue for a while (10-15 min) in a supermarket, or at an ATM, then their turn comes, all the purchases are put by a cashier in bags, and only then (!) such customers start (!) looking for their paycards, supermarket cards, discount vouchers... All the other people standing behind and waiting meanwhile.
That's something I will never get used to seeing without getting annoyed... Just can't help.
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
"Like" for Inga Oct 1, 2015

I hate, loath and detest people who do that.

So much so that I pick my line based on who looks like they might be surprised that they have to pay. Unfortunately, it seems that I am not very good at spotting such people.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
My two-week old brand new car getting a puncture Oct 1, 2015

and the dealer not being able to source the exact same one. Had to buy two different ones for the back instead.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Portuguese supermarkets Oct 1, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

That's something I will never get used to seeing without getting annoyed... Just can't help.

What I find extremely annoying, especially in supermarkets in rural Portugal (I don't want to hurt any feelings, but that is where I watch this behaviour every time I go shopping), is that people always block the passages with their shopping cars and/or families. People will put their wagon in the middle of the passage and then they evaluate the quality of fruit, have a friendly chat with some acquaintances or a discussion with their spouse... it drives me mad. I do spend a lot of time in Portugal because I like the decreased speed - I just don't want to spend this time inside of a supermarket!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree with George Oct 1, 2015

George Hopkins wrote:

Not only recently, more long-term, I find the excessive sound effects in TV and radio programmes very annoying. Electronic drumming noises, additional loud background noise pasted in for no apparent reason.

Can we have a vote?

1 vote here. Also:

Tinkling piano, like the sound of an eight-year-old practising who has got stuck, as the background to all BBC documentary programmes.

BBC documentary programmes "hosted" by "your friendly guide" who sticks her/his head in at key moments to explain what it's all about, imposing her/his personality on the whole thing, or walks along whilst absurdly turning their head backwards to talk to the camera. Worst offender: the "Coast" series (unwatchable for that reason).

David Cameron.

And so on. So many things annoy me. I even annoy myself...

[Edited at 2015-10-01 13:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What have you been annoyed by/with/at recently

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »