Thread poster: John Fossey
Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
Romanian to English
+ ...
They should prove the request is legitimate Nov 23, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:
The idea is to ensure, certainly in the field of public procurement, that the chain of sub-contracting that almost inevitably arises does not culminate in some cash-in-hand, black economy, unreported unemployment situation. That everything is legal, legitimate and transparent.

It's certainly not unusual in public contracts in my part of the world, but it is John's right to be reassured that their request is indeed legitimate or necessary. After all, it is sensitive information they want. They should be able to explain why exactly they need it and where and in what form they need to submit this information/proof.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
French to English
Absolutely Nov 23, 2015

Annamaria Amik wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:
The idea is to ensure, certainly in the field of public procurement, that the chain of sub-contracting that almost inevitably arises does not culminate in some cash-in-hand, black economy, unreported unemployment situation. That everything is legal, legitimate and transparent.

It's certainly not unusual in public contracts in my part of the world, but it is John's right to be reassured that their request is indeed legitimate or necessary.

Certainly, as discussed earlier in the thread. We don't know precisely what he's been asked for, so we can't offer specific help (I only mentioned the "attestation" previously as an example of the kind of info that *can* be requested in some circs). The main thing, I think, is that (hopefully) we've collectively steered him away from any immediate response along the lines of "no, I refuse, and I'm outraged you could even think of asking me"

DorothyX (X)
DorothyX (X)
France
Local time: 21:32
Of course Nov 23, 2015

from any immediate response along the lines of "no, I refuse, and I'm outraged you could even think of asking me"

Just write back saying "as you can see on the enclosed form/statement I am a duly registered translator in country X and pay all taxes and social contributions there".

By the way, the French translators's association SFT asks for the same "attestation" to be downloaded on the Urssaf website. If not, the translator cannot become a member. By acting in this way, SFT guarantees clients of freelance translations who use their services or database that these translators are not working on the black.
http://www.sft.fr/justificatifs.html#.VlLY9XYveM8

[Edited at 2015-11-23 09:18 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It happens in other sectors as well Nov 23, 2015

I have been translating a CSR declaration today, and it is all about what this company calls responsible sourcing.

And yes, they do check up on their suppliers to make sure all social dues are paid, and that the suppliers' employees have decent working conditions. They have a declaration about human rights and not accepting child labour.

Earlier on, I have translated a declaration about a scheme where children are employed a few days a week, because their families need
... See more
I have been translating a CSR declaration today, and it is all about what this company calls responsible sourcing.

And yes, they do check up on their suppliers to make sure all social dues are paid, and that the suppliers' employees have decent working conditions. They have a declaration about human rights and not accepting child labour.

Earlier on, I have translated a declaration about a scheme where children are employed a few days a week, because their families need the income, but they are also sent to school. The alternative is real poverty, perhaps living on the streets, perhaps even crime and/or prostitution.

Seen from that angle, I can go along with giving a declaration that I do actually pay my dues. It is simply a matter of having a suitable form or document that does not reveal all the sensitive details. In some parts of the world there is a real need for customers to put pressure on suppliers to protect their employees. Governments cannot protect them and trade unions often don't exist.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Interesting perspective Nov 23, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

And yes, they do check up on their suppliers to make sure all social dues are paid, and that the suppliers' employees have decent working conditions.

Brings the Rana Plaza tragedy to mind - I do a lot of work that involves retail imports to France from manufacturers in Asia, and I have seen a huge increase in communication about "social audits" since the tragic Rana Plaza accident.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
More strange things are happening Nov 23, 2015

For a Greek agency I (used to) work for I have/had to post my signed invoice by normal mail to get paid. Welcome in the 21st century!

So..... Vive la France!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency wants proof of 2014 social security payments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »