Spain
Local time: 01:42
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2016

Dear colleagues,
I just got the following email:

"Today I'm looking for highly skilled translators specialized in any field. I was checking your profile and I thought you would be perfect for our us.
Would you be willing to collaborate? If so, can you confirm your price per word and language pairs?

Additionally, we're introducing a new collaboration scheme, called "Freelance Boomerang".
It basically work (sic) like this: next time you get a translation
... See more
Dear colleagues,

"Today I'm looking for highly skilled translators specialized in any field. I was checking your profile and I thought you would be perfect for our us.
Would you be willing to collaborate? If so, can you confirm your price per word and language pairs?

Additionally, we're introducing a new collaboration scheme, called "Freelance Boomerang".
It basically work (sic) like this: next time you get a translation job, you can offer your client to translate the same text into any other language for the same price. At that point you will contact us, we will find a professional ready to take this job and you will earn his/her 15%."

Sounds fishy to me, but maybe I'm old-fashioned...

[Edited at 2016-02-05 21:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-05 21:29 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Feb 5, 2016

I got the same, Beatriz. I just replied on my fees.

He insisted on the boomerang issue. I said I was not interested. Period.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Something has got lost in translation. Feb 5, 2016

It doesn't make sense to me. What does "you will earn his/her 15%" mean?

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
They offer 15 % if we find customers for them Feb 5, 2016

They want translators to get customers for them, e. g. I have a direct customer for whom I do a translation from French to German and I ask him if he'd also be interested in French to Japanese or another language. If he says yes, I contact the agency and get 15 %. That's how I understand it.

They do get the details of my customer though...

Not to do, but not forbidden to trie (as an agency I mean)...

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
The boomerang Feb 5, 2016

So the boomerang means the agency only makes you work if you find work in other languages combinations for them.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see, Feb 5, 2016

that's why they insisted with Walter.
I wonder if these people actually have work to offer.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bad Feb 5, 2016

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:

Dear colleagues,

It basically work (sic) like this: next time you get a translation job, you can offer your client to translate the same text into any other language for the same price. At that point you will contact us, we will find a professional ready to take this job and you will earn his/her 15%."

I would be suspicious of the bad English and would start checking out this company before replying. I would also, hopefully, be busy enough with other work to not particularly care much about this offer. I'd be more interested in just investigating it as a probable scam.

I am always suspicious when someone I don't know writes to me in a flattering way, and who makes mistakes with their English.

[Edited at 2016-02-05 22:13 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
A scam Feb 5, 2016

Sounds like a new scam then.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 23:42
Japanese to English
Doubt it Feb 6, 2016

I wonder if these people actually have work to offer.

All signs point to "No."

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Sounds scammy... Feb 6, 2016

It seems to me that asking translators to give the contact details and rates of their clients to this agency is a pretty good way to get all the info the agency needs to subsequently contact the client and offer a lower rate. It would be an effective way to poach clients.

Even if they don't do that, I would never recommend another translator/agency to a client unless I were quite sure of that translator's/agency's competence. Otherwise, if I make a recommendation and the client is u
... See more
It seems to me that asking translators to give the contact details and rates of their clients to this agency is a pretty good way to get all the info the agency needs to subsequently contact the client and offer a lower rate. It would be an effective way to poach clients.

Even if they don't do that, I would never recommend another translator/agency to a client unless I were quite sure of that translator's/agency's competence. Otherwise, if I make a recommendation and the client is unsatisfied with the other translator's/agency's work, it makes me look bad, too.

Basically, I wouldn't touch it with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.
Collapse

Gad Kohenov
Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:42
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I bet Feb 6, 2016

his name is also phony. His English sounds "Chinglish".

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sceptical Feb 6, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I do not reply email, which does not mention my name.
Why?
1) "Dear colleagues" implies that this letter is mass email, sent using mass mailing application.
2) Mass mailing method implies spam.
3) "Spam" implies the men behind the screen getting your email not from you. For example, they bought your information on online black market.
4) "Dear colleagues", instead of your name, also implies that the email is not for you.
5) If you reply such email, you will be looked down and your bargaining position will be low.

Freelance translator should apply this rule:
Only reply emails mentioning your name inside.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Very, very fishy Feb 6, 2016

Why would you want to
a) disclose who your clients are to competitors so they can poach them?
b) run the very real risk of losing your client by pushing them towards a company you've only just heard of, that might make a catastrophic mess of their texts, just for a little cash-in-hand?

15% of what? The first job only, which may well amount to peanuts? How will you know how much the translator (or MT post-editor, quite likely) is being paid?

I can't see any
... See more
Why would you want to
a) disclose who your clients are to competitors so they can poach them?
b) run the very real risk of losing your client by pushing them towards a company you've only just heard of, that might make a catastrophic mess of their texts, just for a little cash-in-hand?

15% of what? The first job only, which may well amount to peanuts? How will you know how much the translator (or MT post-editor, quite likely) is being paid?

I can't see any way at all for a serious translator to gain more than a little one-off tip out of this. But I can see tremendous possibilities for serious loss of clients and reputation.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dani Feb 6, 2016

Hi Dani, the "Dear colleagues" bit is mine (his email is inside inverted commas).

He does address me by my name and he introduces himself as the "Principal" of a Japan-based provider of translation and localization services.

I'm not sure that I am allowed to give te details here.

[Edited at 2016-02-06 09:39 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance Boomerang

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »