Thread poster: Bruno Depascale
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:34
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Blue Board Apr 21, 2016

I'm not sure what you are saying about the impossibility of making a Blue Board entry is correct.

I found today the following entries in someone's Blue Board:

"They ask for a test (1000 words) and won't discuss fees before the test. Seems like they're looking for free translations..."

"Excessively long test up to 1,000 words. No reply after refusal. But another branch bothered me twice. No reply again...One of the worst companies."

"Agre
... See more
I'm not sure what you are saying about the impossibility of making a Blue Board entry is correct.

"They ask for a test (1000 words) and won't discuss fees before the test. Seems like they're looking for free translations..."

"Excessively long test up to 1,000 words. No reply after refusal. But another branch bothered me twice. No reply again...One of the worst companies."

"Agree with my colleagues. (I was unexperienced and at that time in my starting year...); beware of their TEST TRANSLATIONS! Don't waste your precious time!"

And one more:

"The rates that they proposed were quite simply ridiculous, and when I asked if they were negociable they never bothered to reply. Ask them about their rates before doing their proficiency test."

[Edited at 2016-04-21 19:46 GMT]
Collapse

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
BB entry is not possible unless Apr 21, 2016

(1) work was commissioned and delivered on time, and (2) there haven't been any complaints about quality

See BB rule #2 (for some reason I wasn't able to copy/paste)

http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2

"Entries may not be made on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary or non-commissioned inte
... See more
(1) work was commissioned and delivered on time, and (2) there haven't been any complaints about quality

See BB rule #2 (for some reason I wasn't able to copy/paste)

http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2

"Entries may not be made on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary or non-commissioned interactions"
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alvaro Apr 22, 2016

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:
* "They ask for a test (1000 words) and won't discuss fees before the test. Seems like they're looking for free translations..."
* "Excessively long test up to 1,000 words. No reply after refusal. But another branch bothered me twice. No reply again...One of the worst companies."

All BB entries get vetted, AFAIK, so it's highly unlikely that comments like that would end up on the BB. However, I believe you... I would just like to see it for myself.

Samuel

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
@Samuel Apr 22, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Alvaro Espantaleon wrote:
* "They ask for a test (1000 words) and won't discuss fees before the test. Seems like they're looking for free translations..."
* "Excessively long test up to 1,000 words. No reply after refusal. But another branch bothered me twice. No reply again...One of the worst companies."

All BB entries get vetted, AFAIK, so it's highly unlikely that comments like that would end up on the BB. However, I believe you... I would just like to see it for myself.

Samuel

I have just sent you the link.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
English to German
Plunet Apr 22, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

It can also be set up to drive translators mad, and I have mailed a couple of clients explaining that I will not use their Plunet portal, or that I will charge for an extra half hour on my invoice. I then answer all job offers with 'sorry, I don't have time to hassle with your Plunet portal'.

I have started working with an agency who raise my invoices via Plunet and appear to want to pay me VAT (which I do not charge). I did tell them, but ... see what happens.

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a brief update May 3, 2016

just an update about this agency.
It turned out that many of your that wrote to me privately were right about this agency.
They've started sending me job requests via their portal at about half the agreed rate.
(and I had already refused to work with such a low rate).
So they're really deceiving translators, accepting their proposed rates upfront, made them sign dozens of contracts and watch several useless videos, so that the translators are then more inclined to accept
... See more
just an update about this agency.
It turned out that many of your that wrote to me privately were right about this agency.
They've started sending me job requests via their portal at about half the agreed rate.
(and I had already refused to work with such a low rate).
So they're really deceiving translators, accepting their proposed rates upfront, made them sign dozens of contracts and watch several useless videos, so that the translators are then more inclined to accept a lower rate..a really unprofessional behavior I think
By the way the name of such company is Tr..sPer..ct.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:34
English to French
+ ...
Shocking ! May 3, 2016

Who would have imagined??

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't, and I suppose many other with me May 3, 2016

JL01 wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:

many translators simply don't know their practices and many don't imagine that people can be this deceiving. I hope this post will be useful for some fellow (professional) translator

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:34
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Another shocking fact May 4, 2016

JL01 wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:

And this company automatically deducts 10 USD from your invoice for manual labor (!) if you ask them to pay you via Paypal.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Their success is well documented though May 4, 2016

Bruno Depascale wrote:
many translators simply don't know their practices and many don't imagine that people can be this deceiving. I hope this post will be useful for some fellow (professional) translator

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150825/BLOGS02/150829916/court-orders-feuding-biz-partners-ex-lovers-to-sell-their-profitable-translation-firm

They too have expenses. It's only normal that they try to cut costs.

Philippe

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 02:34
English to Romanian
My experience May 19, 2016

I feel I have to whitewash their reputation a bit.

They have never tried to lower rates in my case. On the contrary, when I got a rush project, the flat rate offered, when divided by the number of words, was higher than the usual rate we had agreed on.

What I dislike is that they only pay by U.S. cheques and my bank is not cheque-friendly and that, given their huge network of PMs, I often receive projects at impossible hours (timezone issues).

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 02:34
English to Romanian
Again Jun 11, 2016

It happened again. Impossible reception hours, but a much higher rate.

Jasmina Towers
Jasmina Towers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
Italian to English
I agree with Sorana... Jun 11, 2016

Sorana_M. wrote:

I feel I have to whitewash their reputation a bit.

They have never tried to lower rates in my case. .....

I insisted on agreeing my rate before I completed the millions of tests / document submissions that they asked for. It's actually a better rate than I receive from several other agencies.
Initially I did get requests quoting a 'budget' which was much lower; I got in touch with my original contact and asked her to make sure this did not happen again as it was wasting my time. Since then I've only been offered jobs at my agreed rate. I've also negotiated decent rush rates, and I do a lot of very straightforward proof-reading for them.

It's really annoying having to submit invoices on their system, and that they deduct money from an invoice in order to process it, but in the end I'm getting some really profitable work so I'm happy.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You can't polish their reputation Jun 12, 2016

Jasmina wrote:

I insisted on agreeing my rate before I completed the millions of tests / document submissions that they asked for.

So did I.

Jasmina wrote:
Initially I did get requests quoting a 'budget' which was much lower; I got in touch with my original contact and asked her to make sure this did not happen again as it was wasting my time.

So did I.

Jasmina wrote:
Since then I've only been offered jobs at my agreed rate. I've also negotiated decent rush rates, and I do a lot of very straightforward proof-reading for them.

This unfortunately didn't happen to me. They continued offering me translation or proofreading jobs at a "flat rate". Much lower than the agreed rate.

Jasmina wrote:
It's really annoying having to submit invoices on their system, and that they deduct money from an invoice in order to process it, but in the end I'm getting some really profitable work so I'm happy.

I'm happy for you, but you are aware of the fact that this it not a fair business relationship, right? They are degrading your work

Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
Swedish to English
+ ...
Zero relationships Jun 12, 2016

If the agency under discussion is the elephant in the room I think it is, I'd like to relate a little story. In the year 2013, after having already worked with them off and on for many years, my flow of jobs from them began to really increase, to the point where I had nearly $50 k of billings to them for that year. No complaints there, as it certainly larded my bottom line, as it were, but here's the thing: All this work, all these words, resulted in exactly zero relationships. Their endless cas... See more
If the agency under discussion is the elephant in the room I think it is, I'd like to relate a little story. In the year 2013, after having already worked with them off and on for many years, my flow of jobs from them began to really increase, to the point where I had nearly $50 k of billings to them for that year. No complaints there, as it certainly larded my bottom line, as it were, but here's the thing: All this work, all these words, resulted in exactly zero relationships. Their endless cast of newbie PM's churned and churned, and at the end of it all there was no one there who gave a rat's keister about me, or me about them for that matter. I could have kept up the reasonably lucrative pursuit of running on their hamster wheel, but in the event I chose not to. Sometime in 2014 marked the last time I'd ever accept an assignment from them. I began by systematically marking their PM's as spam, and to the few boilerplate requests oozing plastic bonhomie that made it through I took to replying that I refused to work with their agency on principle. My motivations were never investigated, obviously.

Best decision I ever made, as far as this racket goes. It's not worth it to have to hate the guts of the people on whom you are reliant to pay the bills, given that alternatives are in prospect of course. Far be it from me to suggest that everyone spurn them in a massive righteous action, but the result is pleasing to contemplate, at least as regards the principals of said unprincipled outfit: A fire sale alienation of assets acquired through their mastery of the globalist art of alienation. I find it elegant to formulate the outcome of their business process mathematically:

Zero relationships = zero loyalty

May the principals of said masters of alienation come to feel the bite of zero loyalty in their own lives. But why whistle Dixie when I bet they already have?

[Edited at 2016-06-12 18:38 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge translation company

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »