Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Or perhaps... May 26, 2016

... there was already a Russian translation available on the web?

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 08:50
English to Vietnamese
USD0.004 /word for EN>VI May 27, 2016

Oh, I received a better offer of $80.00 for EN>VI translation of 20,000 words (USD0.004/word) which have been discussed at http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/302366-80_for_translation_and_23_for_proofreading_of_20000_wordsis_it_a_ridiculous_offer.html

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm just curious why you guys are so enthusiastic about this kind of topic May 27, 2016

Doan Quang wrote:

Oh, I received a better offer of $80.00 for EN>VI translation of 20,000 words (USD0.004/word) which have been discussed at http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/302366-80_for_translation_and_23_for_proofreading_of_20000_wordsis_it_a_ridiculous_offer.html

These translation agencies are doing business in an abnormal way, and it is not healthy for any party involved, including the translation agencies themselves. Something has just gone wrong somewhere, which would lead to severe consequences sooner or later, for which some party would have to pay back.

What I don't understand is why you guys love this topic that much.

[Edited at 2016-05-27 07:28 GMT]

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:50
English to Russian
+ ...
I believe the name of the agency`s contractor is Google Translate May 27, 2016

It is an old trick. You have a monkey to copy and paste the translation (you can use a CAT tool linked to Google Translate as well). If a client rejects the translation - well, not a great loss. But when the translation is accepted, you get the money. Just remember how many times you felt that this or that translation of yours would NEVER be read by anyone (Articles of Association, etc.).

And, BTW you easily fill that funnel with new clients, because your rate is VERY competitive.<
... See more
It is an old trick. You have a monkey to copy and paste the translation (you can use a CAT tool linked to Google Translate as well). If a client rejects the translation - well, not a great loss. But when the translation is accepted, you get the money. Just remember how many times you felt that this or that translation of yours would NEVER be read by anyone (Articles of Association, etc.).

And, BTW you easily fill that funnel with new clients, because your rate is VERY competitive.

Many "agencies" from certain countries employ the method.

P.S. By the way, wouldn`t you agree that this is a real lifesaver for an employee who has been given a task of fetching a translation of a 75,000-word document for the next Monday? I mean, there is certain demand for that kind of crap. "We need this manual be translated into Russian for the next Monday. We don`t care about quality. We just need a compilation of Cyrillic letters, because Monday is the final date indicated in the contract with Russians. Period."

[Edited at 2016-05-27 06:59 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A superb EN>RU job...for $0.009/word May 27, 2016

What they do is have a professional translate the first one or two pages that may be read right away and the rest is GT.

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

It is an old trick.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:50
German to Swedish
+ ...
LOZRS May 27, 2016

U GUYZ R 2 SLO
I DO iT for $0,000000000000000000001 per 1 million WRDZ LOL
LOZRS

(Insert random cyrillic letters here)

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 01:50
Japanese to English
GT was my suspicion as well. May 27, 2016

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

It is an old trick. You have a monkey to copy and paste the translation (you can use a CAT tool linked to Google Translate as well).

I thought of GT + maybe $100 to a "proofreader" to make a silk's purse out of a sow's ear. But LegalTransform's idea of getting a professional to do the first few pages then Google Translating the rest is likely too.

jyuan_us wrote:
What I don't understand is why you guys love this topic that much.

[Edited at 2016-05-27 07:28 GMT]

What can I say, I love a good "howdunnit".

[Edited at 2016-05-27 19:35 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
I find it hard to believe May 27, 2016

Something is wrong in the story that you've been told—the word count, the price, or the resultant quality.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A superb EN>RU job...for $0.009/word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »