Thread poster: Dorothy Smith
Dorothy Smith
Dorothy Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:19
French to English
+ ...
May 28, 2016

I am wondering if any of you have wandered into this niche and have found success. What would you advise a translator who's venturing into telephonic interpretation? Thanks in advance for your replies,

Dorothy

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:19
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Little information. May 28, 2016

Personally, I haven't done it. However, you provided little information, eg. have you already been tested, offered a project, have you looked into ongoing rates, etc?

My presumption is that this kind of interpreting is underpaid, given the circumstances.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:19
German to English
+ ...
accidentally once May 28, 2016

Years ago. I had been discussing telephone interpretation with a company for a project they had which fell through with their end client. I had never done telephone interpretation before, had been curious, and thought that was the end of it. The subject area of the original thing was not medical.

Then one Sunday night a bit after midnight the phone rings and it's someone from that agency wanting to patch me through to their client. The next minute I'm talking to a surgeon in the
... See more
Years ago. I had been discussing telephone interpretation with a company for a project they had which fell through with their end client. I had never done telephone interpretation before, had been curious, and thought that was the end of it. The subject area of the original thing was not medical.

Then one Sunday night a bit after midnight the phone rings and it's someone from that agency wanting to patch me through to their client. The next minute I'm talking to a surgeon in the emergency ward of some hospital I think in California. A woman has come in with pain, it's an ectopic pregnancy, if she doesn't get an operation soon she'll die but they can't operate without her informed consent. I talk to the woman, she gives her consent, I hang up - am back in my living room at midnight in my pj's and think "What just happened here?" It was quite surreal. Never happened again. Wouldn't want it to.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:19
Romanian to English
+ ...
do it on a daily basis May 28, 2016

I receive a lot of requests for OPI (over-the-phone-interpreting), many medical, but most are legal (immigration). Depending on the company, the rate runs from $.75 - $1.00/min. I work with two agencies that sometimes request "a scheduled OPI". Rate runs from $50 - 75/hr, with 1 hr guaranteed, no matter how long you interpret.
Personally, I accept medical only if I am bored or have nothing else to do.

If you need more info, please contact me directly.

Good luck,<
... See more
I receive a lot of requests for OPI (over-the-phone-interpreting), many medical, but most are legal (immigration). Depending on the company, the rate runs from $.75 - $1.00/min. I work with two agencies that sometimes request "a scheduled OPI". Rate runs from $50 - 75/hr, with 1 hr guaranteed, no matter how long you interpret.
Personally, I accept medical only if I am bored or have nothing else to do.

If you need more info, please contact me directly.

Good luck,
Lee
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:19
English to Thai
+ ...
Start as volunteer Aug 24, 2016

Dorothy Pouch wrote:

I am wondering if any of you have wandered into this niche and have found success. What would you advise a translator who's venturing into telephonic interpretation? Thanks in advance for your replies,

Dorothy

I found it is successful as a telephonic medical interpreter when I proposed to serve as a volunteer. It is a charity and very good to educate myself on such medical interpretation state-of-arts.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telephonic Medical Interpreting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »