Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am sure that you are no alone Jul 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

The more I think about this the more I see Proz losing its position as the primary go-to site for prospective clients who care about quality, and a different space opening for a different kind of translation website that probably doesn't exist yet. I know I'm hungry for a site like that.

[Edited at 2016-07-07 19:16 GMT]

The door is certainly open for such a venture....

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
No link please Jul 8, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

And an idea for Henry et al. re successfully integrating TM-Town into Proz.com (without pissing everyone off):

If I were Henry, I think I would consider integrating the interesting new functionality offered by TM-Town directly into the old site, rather than keeping them separate, and annoying those of us who have been around for a while. That is, I can imagine some sort of system where the potential client is given the option of running a Nakōdo search from a user's own profile page. That is, once they have arrived at your profile page, they could use it to see if you are familiar with their content. I know that this isn't exactly what Kevin envisioned when designing Nakōdo, but it would solve the problem of Proz.com users who are not on TM-Town feeling cheated. Just an idea.

Michael

So if I don't have any TMs uploaded to TM-Town and someone does a Nakōdo search from my profile page, what then? It'll say "Sorry, this member doesn't use this functionality" (and implicitly doesn't belong to the "best experts," which are to be found on TM-Town ?!) Why should those be the best experts?

As much as one might think that there is no problem with all that uploading of material from one's previous jobs, I won't do it. I have many concerns about it. And I don't see why I should (want to) compete with those who upload as much as they can. And who do you think will try to upload as much as they can?

Next, I'll hear the ones with most repetitions in their TMs will be preferred because they will be able to apply/or be asked to apply the biggest discounts. Things have a way of developing ... even if that wasn't the purpose.

I would be very cautious about all this. Just my thoughts.

In any case, I'll keep doing what works for me. Of course, anyone is free to do what they want. It's just not for me.

[Edited at 2016-07-09 04:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-09 05:28 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Tell me I'm wrong Jul 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

See what I mean?

Not really. A translator with no Kudoz points is obviously not going to rank in Kudoz. They might simply bypass Kudoz and go straight for TM town, where without doing any actual thinking or interacting with anyone, they can simply upload a ton of TMs and get instant ranking on Day 1 of their Proz membership.

You're good at telling me I'm wrong. Tell me I'm wrong about that.

Still waiting, Michael.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Making it known that I don't share my TMs Jul 9, 2016

I really like Proz.com, but now that it is working against me, I have added this line to my profile: " I would like to point out that I do not share my TMs (even redacted) with any other entity, so that the work I do remains 100% confidential."

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:10
Catalan to English
+ ...
An excellent point and question Jul 9, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

See what I mean?

Not really. A translator with no Kudoz points is obviously not going to rank in Kudoz. They might simply bypass Kudoz and go straight for TM town, where without doing any actual thinking or interacting with anyone, they can simply upload a ton of TMs and get instant ranking on Day 1 of their Proz membership.

You're good at telling me I'm wrong. Tell me I'm wrong about that.

Still waiting, Michael.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Also concerned Jul 9, 2016

In full agreement regarding the TMTown concerns, and my wife and I will also consider not re-upping on Proz if this and other similar problems are not resolved.

[Edited at 2016-07-09 03:09 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 11:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sheer nothingness Jul 9, 2016

I don't think there's a single criterion that can guarantee a decent/excellent translation. Not a ProZ membership, not KudoZ points, not a great CV, nor TM-Town. Not even past experience for the very same end-client on the very same subject matter. However, all of the above can contribute to make the best possible choice for a translator. And then hope for the best. I'd suggest that ProZ will make that clear.

Cheers,

Hans

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks for confirming Jul 9, 2016

… assuming this person "simply uploads a ton of TMs and gets instant ranking on Day 1 of their Proz membership" … that will be all they will have achieved. It will be obvious to any potential client who has done even a shred of due diligence that they might not be the safest bet.

Michael

Thanks for confirming that a translator with no Kudoz points, and therefore no ranking in Kudoz, can simply bypass Kudoz and go straight for TM town, where without doing any actual thinking or interacting with anyone, they can simply upload a ton of TMs and get instant ranking on Day 1 of their Proz membership.

For me, this points to the end of a long and proficuous relationship with Proz. What a shame. A strategic mistake has been made.

[Edited at 2016-07-09 07:29 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Alternatively... Jul 9, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks for confirming that a translator with no Kudoz points, and therefore no ranking in Kudoz, can simply bypass Kudoz and go straight for TM town, where without doing any actual thinking or interacting with anyone, they can simply upload a ton of TMs and get instant ranking on Day 1 of their Proz membership.

For me, this points to the end of a long and proficuous relationship with Proz. ]

...proz.com should lower their prices for membership. That would be in line with the today´s businesspractices in the TM based translation industry...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
To zero Jul 10, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...proz.com should lower their prices for membership. That would be in line with the today´s businesspractices in the TM based translation industry...

Yes - to zero, or close to zero, since zero is what my membership is worth now that prospective clients will no longer find me if they use the TM-Town option. I'll be going elsewhere.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Totally agree. Jul 10, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

For me, this points to the end of a long and proficuous relationship with Proz. ]

Also in line with earning potential on the site, the membership should be significantly lower.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Deleted Jul 10, 2016

Deleted

[Edited at 2016-07-10 20:20 GMT]

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:10
German to English
+ ...
My point exactly Jul 11, 2016

Jessica Noyes wrote:

I really like Proz.com, but now that it is working against me, I have added this line to my profile: " I would like to point out that I do not share my TMs (even redacted) with any other entity, so that the work I do remains 100% confidential."

If I were a potential client, I would not touch an EM-Town translator with a ten-foot pole. This is an outrageous violation of confidentiality rules

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
misinformation Jul 11, 2016

Maija Cirule wrote:

Jessica Noyes wrote:

If I were a potential client, I would not touch an EM-Town translator with a ten-foot pole. This is an outrageous violation of confidentiality rules

Please see: https://www.tm-town.com/desktop-application

Michael

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In the interests of balance Jul 11, 2016

I'd like to point out that I really couldn't care less about this.

I do Kudoz for a laugh, and occasionally to help, rather than to win work.

The kind of people I want to work for wouldn't look for translators through either site anyway.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town link at top of Proz kudoz-based ranking searches

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »