Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Red P linked to paid membership Jul 13, 2016

Diana Coada wrote:
I am seriously considering asking for a fee refund at the moment.

Don't forget that you will lose (thank you Tom for finding my spelling error, and by the way, I have no problem if somebody finds an error in my posts. Feedback is ok, if we want to learn. It is another party that prevents feedback in this form) your red P if you are asking for a refund.

[Edited at 2016-07-13 16:48 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Calm down Jul 13, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Lose.

Tom, why not calm down a bit. In this thread, you've made a spelling mistake as well. Four times

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Typo Jul 13, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Lose.

Tom, why not calm down a bit. In this thread, you've made a spelling mistake as well. Four times

I make typos -not spelling mistakes.

As for *losing* the red P, I gave up mine voluntarily. I got one when they were being given out and then I realised that not only did it not mean much; it may also be illegal - at least in this country.

I am still subscribed all the way to next February, but I fear that what I thought I was paying for is not what I am getting, now that TMTown is actively taking away prospective clients. Isn't it a breach of contract to change the service that is being provided?

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Spelling mistakes Jul 13, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Lose.

Well, if you insert the same two wrong letters (one of which is surplus, the other nowhere near the correct one) into a word in exactly the same way four times in a row, I don't think this can be called a typo. That's a misspelling.

Let me know if you find it, and why it isn't wrong after all!

Anyway, this is completely off-topic. Just couldn't resist. Sorry.

[Edited at 2016-07-13 12:45 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Accepted Jul 13, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Lose.

Well, if you insert the same two wrong letters (one of which is surplus, the other nowhere near the correct one) into a word in exactly the same way four times in a row, I don't think this can be called a typo. That's a misspelling.

Anyway, this is completely off-topic. Just couldn't resist. Sorry.

[Edited at 2016-07-13 12:33 GMT]

Apology accepted.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes, I know Jul 13, 2016

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Diana Coada wrote:

Don't forget that you will lose ... your red P if you are asking for a refund.

[Edited at 2016-07-13 12:31 GMT]

Unfortunately, as another poster said a couple of days ago here on the forums, ''the red P stands for pointless''.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
not entirely meaningless Jul 13, 2016

Diana Coada wrote:

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Diana Coada wrote:

Don't forget that you will lose ... your red P if you are asking for a refund.

[Edited at 2016-07-13 12:31 GMT]

Unfortunately, as another poster said a couple of days ago here on the forums, ''the red P stands for pointless''.

It might not mean much, but I recently got one, and had to answer a bunch of questions and submit an example translation, which I assume was reviewed by someone. Of course, I have no idea who reviewed it, and how competent they are, but it's better than nothing, I suppose. I do think that the whole red P thing is something that could be greatly improved.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Conflict of interests Jul 13, 2016

While I don't share the reservations against TM-Town many of you have because of supposed confidentiality issues, and while I'm not yet decided whether Nakodo mightn't be a viable means of finding suitable translators, I agree that the way both sites are related to each other currently is unacceptable.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Yes, please remove all direct links to TM-Town Jul 13, 2016

on Proz translator lists.

This seems to have been a frying pan-fire response. The TM-Town links (not just advertisements!) did disappear from under our individual profile pages but now they are plastered on all translator lists where potential clients may be looking for translators.
I'd like to hear what the (long-term) policy is: is Proz going to be turned into, swallowed up and/or replaced by TM-Town? It looks like the emphasis is shifting from translation skills to
... See more
on Proz translator lists.

This seems to have been a frying pan-fire response. The TM-Town links (not just advertisements!) did disappear from under our individual profile pages but now they are plastered on all translator lists where potential clients may be looking for translators.
I'd like to hear what the (long-term) policy is: is Proz going to be turned into, swallowed up and/or replaced by TM-Town? It looks like the emphasis is shifting from translation skills to copy/paste skills. Potential clients are invited to copy/paste (part of) their text and that gets matched up with diligent TM-Town copy/pasters who have copy/pasted and uploaded texts from anywhere and everywhere, their own or not. No matter.

I won't comment here on the (pointless) P issue - that would be for another thread.
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some progress perhaps Jul 13, 2016

Thanks for contributing folks

I managed to corner Henry over on the certified P...ointless forum, so that big red P is good for something, see.

He said he "will read and reply as soon as I can" so hopefully we'll get an answer to this soon.

Fingers crossed
P..ointless Jo

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Renew membership? Jul 14, 2016

My paid membership expires in six days. When Henry answers you, I will consider whether to renew it.
This thread has been an eye-opener. I find it appalling that no one from the Proz administration has responded to it.

[Edited at 2016-07-14 12:58 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Keep Calm and Stay Rational. Jul 14, 2016

Although I understand people's perturbation, I think we shouldn't blow this whole thing out of proportion. I have a feeling that no matter what happens with TM-Town, pretty much the same amount of potential new clients will be approaching me via and because of the site. I definitely won't be cancelling my membership, irrespective of how many TM-Town links get added or removed from the current site. Annual membership is so cheap anyway, what would be the point? Just to make a tiny p... See more
Although I understand people's perturbation, I think we shouldn't blow this whole thing out of proportion. I have a feeling that no matter what happens with TM-Town, pretty much the same amount of potential new clients will be approaching me via and because of the site. I definitely won't be cancelling my membership, irrespective of how many TM-Town links get added or removed from the current site. Annual membership is so cheap anyway, what would be the point? Just to make a tiny protest, which will undoubtedly go unheard anyway? No thanks. This isn't to say that all of this complaining might not be useful, but I do think that we should keep this in perspective.

keep-calm-and-stay-rational-7

Michael
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Jul 14, 2016

Erik Freitag wrote:

Let me know if you find it, and why it isn't wrong after all!

Even Tom's loosing it

PS I think TM Town is a good idea. Much better than just selling a higher ranking like they do on ProZ.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
I will not renew if TM-Town is pushed on us in this way Jul 14, 2016

Come fall I will stop being a paying member after 10+ years.

Eagerly awaiting a reaction from those who run ProZ.com (preferably Henry).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town link at top of Proz kudoz-based ranking searches

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »