Possible extremely high volume free translation "test" - is it a scam?
Thread poster: Eric Stone
Eric Stone
Eric Stone
Taiwan
Local time: 21:31
Chinese to English
Aug 29, 2016

Hey everyone,

Just got solicited to do a subtitle translation test which would be "less than 20 minutes," which to me seems to suggest it would at least be about 2000-2500 words. Is this somehow normal for subtitle translation tests? In my experience, I've never seen any tests that were higher than 200-600 words.

Of course, most people are probably aware of the scam where an agency sends out high volume free translation tests to a bunch of different freelancers and
... See more
Hey everyone,

Just got solicited to do a subtitle translation test which would be "less than 20 minutes," which to me seems to suggest it would at least be about 2000-2500 words. Is this somehow normal for subtitle translation tests? In my experience, I've never seen any tests that were higher than 200-600 words.

Of course, most people are probably aware of the scam where an agency sends out high volume free translation tests to a bunch of different freelancers and then tells them the failed or didn't get the job for some other reason, resulting in a totally free translation. After all, you send out a twenty minute translations "tests" to 3 translators, you've already got a free 1 hour translation which could be worth hundreds of dollars, right?

Anything I'm missing here?
Collapse

Onur Inal
Onur Inal  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 14:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ask them pay Aug 29, 2016

I don't know if it is a scam or not but a test translation, as you have said, should not be more than 300-500 words. To translate 2000-2500 words is a couple of hours work and this should not be done "for free". My suggeston is that you'd better tell the client that your limit/policy for a test translation is XXX words and you can translate 2000-2500 words only if they pay for it. Also, you'd check the client's blueboard record, website etc. to see how serious and reliable they are. Good luck!

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:31
English to French
+ ...
2000 words in 20 minutes?! Aug 29, 2016

Are you sure of your calculations???

Shihaoheng wrote:

Hey everyone,

... "less than 20 minutes," which to me seems to suggest it would at least be about 2000-2500 words. ...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Perhaps... Aug 29, 2016

Shihaoheng wrote:
Just got solicited to do a subtitle translation test which would be "less than 20 minutes"...

Perhaps they meant that the entire test would take you 20 minutes, and not that you have to subtitle 20 minutes of audio.

Ligia Maria Ribeiro
Ligia Maria Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Searching for information about the solicitor Aug 31, 2016

Based on what I have heard from colleagues, a test like this would be no longer than five minutes. It seems to me that subtitling twenty minutes is equivalent to have a completed job done, if you take into consideration that the length of some series, for example, would be nearly twenty to twenty-two minutes.

You should search for more information about the agency in the Blue Board or other professionals who have already worked with them. I wish you good luck and success on your jo
... See more
Based on what I have heard from colleagues, a test like this would be no longer than five minutes. It seems to me that subtitling twenty minutes is equivalent to have a completed job done, if you take into consideration that the length of some series, for example, would be nearly twenty to twenty-two minutes.

You should search for more information about the agency in the Blue Board or other professionals who have already worked with them. I wish you good luck and success on your job!
Collapse

Rafal Kwiatkowski
Rafal Kwiatkowski
United States
Member (2013)
English to Polish
+ ...
It is a scam, most likely. Sep 1, 2016

I was once asked to translate a "test sample" by a translation company which, as it turned out, cut the text they got from a client, and asked a number of translators who responded to the ad (on Proz, by the way) to do the other samples. And, yes, you guessed it, they almost succeeded in getting the whole job for the client done for free.

Klaus Baumann
Klaus Baumann
Denmark
German to English
+ ...
Most probably scam Sep 1, 2016

I think the translation of 200-300 words in enough for test. 2,000 is a whole small project.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
one hour working time maximum for free test Sep 2, 2016

I am not sure what these 20 min mean in your case for subtitling, but as a rule of thumb a free test should not take you more than 1 hour of your time ; which means 300-400 words or so for a "normal" written text, just make the conversion for audio or video material.

Tell the client that you won't work more than 1 h on their test - or they should pay you. If they insist, it is probably a scam or a client which pay very poor rates.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 15:31
Estonian to English
+ ...
test Sep 2, 2016

A typical subtitling test is 5-10 minutes of material, can take 1-2 hours of your time (for beginners).
It is never a single continuous piece of video. You would have a few minutes from a TV series, a few minutes from a film, a few minutes from a director's cut commentary, all mixed together. Usually very different topics and very text-heavy.
So if the test is really 20 minutes from a single video, it's a sign of trouble.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible extremely high volume free translation "test" - is it a scam?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »