Can one get a "pec" from outside Italy?
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:02
French to English
Oct 21, 2016

In the context of bankruptcy/concordato proceedings in Italy... involving a non-EU creditor:

Buongiorno,
i futuri aggiornamenti verranno dati solo a mezzo pec: siete pregati di munirvene
oppure tramite deposito in cancelleria per creditori non muniti di pec
Distinti saluti
Dott XXXX

Is it possible for a non-EU company to get a PEC address?

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
It sounds like it’s possible, but not for free. Oct 21, 2016

I tried to find out about getting a PEC as an EU-citizen living in Italy, but basically gave up. However, I mostly read complaints and controversy from Italians regarding it, with relatively little thought spared for those outside Italy. Apparently there was a scheme about giving it to Italian citizens (rather than professionals, who were told they had to have it, and pay for it, previously) free of charge, but that came to nothing.

I suppose the thing to do is to contact a provider
... See more
I tried to find out about getting a PEC as an EU-citizen living in Italy, but basically gave up. However, I mostly read complaints and controversy from Italians regarding it, with relatively little thought spared for those outside Italy. Apparently there was a scheme about giving it to Italian citizens (rather than professionals, who were told they had to have it, and pay for it, previously) free of charge, but that came to nothing.

I suppose the thing to do is to contact a provider of PECs and ask them.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
PEC Oct 21, 2016

AFAIK certified email is only used in Italy and Hong Kong.

[Edited at 2016-10-21 14:34 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Provider of PECs? Oct 24, 2016

Yes, I read that it is only used in Italy and Hong Kong... but wondered if it was possible to set up PEC from abroad... I also read about all the controversy and back and forth... anyhow, can anyone suggest a PEC provider so that I can enquire? My Italian language skills are really bad - would appreciate a suggestion!

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
See the official website of the Italian government Oct 24, 2016

https://www.postacertificata.gov.it/guida_utente/cose-la-postacertificata.dot

It says that a PEC can be obtained:

1) by Italian citizens of full age, living in Italy or abroad
2) by strangers of full age residing in Italy.

HTH

[Bearbeitet am 2016-10-24 10:40 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Christel Oct 24, 2016

Very helpful! I'm going to forget about the idea of getting a PEC.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Government - Citizen Oct 24, 2016

Christel Zipfel wrote:

https://www.postacertificata.gov.it/guida_utente/cose-la-postacertificata.dot

It says that a PEC can be obtained:

1) by Italian citizens of full age, living in Italy or abroad
2) by strangers of full age residing in Italy.

I believe the above only concerns communications between the government and citizens (or "resident aliens"), who are offered a free PEC address for that.

However, I read elsewhere that, for instance, foreign companies with a branch in Italy are actually required to acquire a (paid) PEC address and register it with the "Registro delle imprese".

E.g. "10. Le Società estere con sede secondaria e/o unità locale in Italia hanno l’obbligo di attivare e comunicare l'indirizzo PEC al Registro Imprese?

Sì per le sedi secondarie iscritte ai sensi dell’art. 2508 Codice Civile relativo alla pubblicità degli atti societari perché la PEC si configura come “sede elettronica” della società.
No per le unità locali di imprese estere (che non abbiano una rappresentanza stabile in Italia) in quanto non sono iscritte nel Registro Imprese e non sono pertanto tenute al nuovo obbligo." - http://www.ar.camcom.it/modules/servizi/item.php?itemid=367

As for companies offering this service, you can find a list here http://www.agid.gov.it/infrastrutture-sicurezza/pec-elenco-gestori so perhaps you could check with some of them...

At any rate, things are very confused and confusing, as it usually happens when Italian legislation/bureaucracy is involved...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:02
Member (2004)
English to Italian
strangers? Oct 24, 2016

Lori Cirefice
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Give her a break Oct 24, 2016

English is not one of her working languages - it was easy to figure out what was meant

Anyhow, the non-EU company (no branch in Italy) can either get an Italian lawyer who has a PEC, or contact the court - things are already quite confusing, my initial idea about getting a PEC probably wouldn't make anything easier...

Thanks to all for your comments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can one get a "pec" from outside Italy?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »