CafeTran: the perfect tool for SDL Studio files
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:07
Nov 22, 2014

CafeTran's support for SDL Studio projects and SDLXLIFF files was already very good. A couple of weeks ago, Igor implemented code to handle the segment-internal padlocks that some clients use in order to protect variables in Studio projects (e.g. machine numbers).

Since then I have been testing the improved 'filter' for SDLXLIFF files. I can say that the hundreds of translations (big and small) that I've handled in the past weeks came through Studio 2014's QA without a single proble
... See more
CafeTran's support for SDL Studio projects and SDLXLIFF files was already very good. A couple of weeks ago, Igor implemented code to handle the segment-internal padlocks that some clients use in order to protect variables in Studio projects (e.g. machine numbers).

Since then I have been testing the improved 'filter' for SDLXLIFF files. I can say that the hundreds of translations (big and small) that I've handled in the past weeks came through Studio 2014's QA without a single problem.

For me CafeTran simply is the CAT tool for the Mac platform. However, from other users in the CafeTran forum I read very good experiences on the Windows platform too.
Collapse

Brigitte Pusch-Kovacs
Alex Ossa

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Question regarding Studio xliff file Apr 23, 2015

I'm very new to cafetran and am actually very interested in using it to work on an xliff file that I started in Studio. Once I've edited the XLIFF file, is there a way to then convert that to Word right from CafeTran? It seems like I can only save it as the XLIFF file but I need the finished product to be Word. Make sense?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Export from the originating CAT tool Apr 23, 2015

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:
Once I've edited the XLIFF file, is there a way to then convert that to Word right from CafeTran? It seems like I can only save it as the XLIFF file but I need the finished product to be Word. Make sense?

I'm sorry to inform you that you have to export the project from the originating CAT tool.

What you could do, is to import the DOCX in CafeTran and use Translation > Insert all Exact Matches to insert the bulk of the segments. However, you'll have to get all fuzzy matches manually (which should cost you little time).

Best ask for the new version of CafeTran Espresso, that has been released yesterday (www.CafeTran.com), since there were some further enhancements to the Studio filter.

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
that's more or less what I was assuming Apr 23, 2015

Thank you,

That's basically what I was afraid of. So I think for this current project I'll just stick with Studio 2011 since I would have to go back to it anyway to export it to Word.

I've only downloaded the free version of CafeTran. I like the interface but I think I'll play with it a bit more before deciding to buy.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
It's only one step to determine the amount of extra work Apr 23, 2015

It's will cost you only one step to determine the amount of extra work: import the DOCX in CafeTran, export the Studio TM, run Insert all Exact matches. Well that's actually three steps, but hey, no more than 5 minutes. Then decide whether it's attractive to do the remaining segments manually. Perhaps you're lucky.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Hardly any work at all Apr 23, 2015

- Translate the SDLXLIFF file in CafeTran
- Export the translated SDLXLIFF file as a TMX file
- Open the source document (*.docx) in CafeTran
- Use the TMX file to "translate" with "Jump over Exact Memory Matches" enabled
- Export the finished translation

"Jump over" may stop once or twice in case of a difference in segmentation between Trados and CafeTran. Use "join" or "split".

Cheers,
... See more
- Translate the SDLXLIFF file in CafeTran
- Export the translated SDLXLIFF file as a TMX file
- Open the source document (*.docx) in CafeTran
- Use the TMX file to "translate" with "Jump over Exact Memory Matches" enabled
- Export the finished translation

"Jump over" may stop once or twice in case of a difference in segmentation between Trados and CafeTran. Use "join" or "split".

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-04-23 13:13 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Convert to TMX Apr 23, 2015

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:
It seems like I can only save it as the XLIFF file

You probably didn't see "Convert Project" under File in the Menu. One of the options is TMX, and that's the option you'd want.

Cheers,

Hans

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Heard back from Igor Apr 24, 2015

I contacted Igor and he confirmed for me that it can't convert sdl xliff to a word doc. It can, however, send the edited xliff file back to a client. With my current project that is of no value to me, so unfortunately I'll need to finish this out using Studio and postpone my espresso experimentation.

Martin Brüggemeier
Martin Brüggemeier
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why not give Meta Arkadia's workaround a try? Apr 25, 2015

Anthony Mazzorana wrote:

I contacted Igor and he confirmed for me that it can't convert sdl xliff to a word doc.

But the workaround described by Meta Arkadia (exporting the XLIFf to a TMX memory, import the DOCX and then let CafeTran insert the segments from the memory) still works (quickly and easily).

Cheers,
Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran: the perfect tool for SDL Studio files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »