From memoQ to CafeTran: add speed, stability and simplicity
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:01
May 2, 2015

If you want to leave the complexity of mQ behind, if you want to improve your Mac experience and don't want to start Parallels Desktop or Fusion just to use a CAT tool, you should consider upgrading to CafeTran.

The migration is perfectly easy: CafeTran can use mQ's exported TMs right away. No import or conversion needed. Simple as that.

However, if you want to convert your mQ termbase to CafeTran's simple and robust tab-delimited glossary format -- without losing val
... See more
If you want to leave the complexity of mQ behind, if you want to improve your Mac experience and don't want to start Parallels Desktop or Fusion just to use a CAT tool, you should consider upgrading to CafeTran.

The migration is perfectly easy: CafeTran can use mQ's exported TMs right away. No import or conversion needed. Simple as that.

However, if you want to convert your mQ termbase to CafeTran's simple and robust tab-delimited glossary format -- without losing valuable information -- you will have to take some simple steps: http://cafetranhelp.com/migrating-memoq-termbases

And if you want to keep translating mQ projects, you can use CafeTran's MQXLIFF filter, which is quite good.

Currently there are some issues with tags creating false positives in QA Spelling, but Igor has promised me that he will fix this ASAP. And up to now he has never disappointed me.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:01
Finnish to French
Simplicity vs. complexity May 3, 2015

2nl wrote:
If you want to leave the complexity of mQ behind, you should consider upgrading to CafeTran.

In memoQ, a TM is a TM, and a termbase is a termbase. In CafeTran, you have memories for segments, memories for terminology, TMX, external databases, glossaries (it's not advertised as feature-rich for nothing). It can be a daunting task for a newbie to decide which type of TM should be used, where your terminology should be stored etc.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Complexity vs Simplicity May 3, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
It can be a daunting task for a newbie to decide which type of TM should be used, where your terminology should be stored etc.

And not only for newbies. I wrote about it here and here. And for "switchers" here. If you want, however, you can keep things very basic.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed May 4, 2015

2nl wrote:

Currently there are some issues with tags creating false positives in QA Spelling, but Igor has promised me that he will fix this ASAP. And up to now he has never disappointed me.

• 2015-05-04 Some improvements to mqxliff handling - improved term recognition and QA spelling of tagged segments.

Source: http://cafetran.wikidot.com/changelog

• Dominique Pivard
    Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
    Local time: 02:01
    Finnish to French
    How to obtain new builds? May 4, 2015

2nl wrote:
  • 2015-05-04 Some improvements to mqxliff handling - improved term recognition and QA spelling of tagged segments.

• There are no mentions of builds on the download page. How does one obtain a newer build, and can various builds be identified prior to downloading and installing them?

The memoQ download page makes it obvious which build is available for download:

One can also easily download any previous build, by editing the name of the file, for instance:

memoQ-2014-R2-Setup-56.exe

instead of:

memoQ-2014-R2-Setup-59.exe

Such a practice is highly desirable for a software that is updated very frequently, as appears to be the case with CafeTran.

Igor Kmitowski
    Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
    Poland
    Member (2016)
    English to Polish
    + ...
    New builds are available for download instantly May 4, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
    There are no mentions of builds on the download page. How does one obtain a newer build, and can various builds be identified prior to downloading and installing them?

The new build is uploaded the same day as it appears in the changelog so there is always the latest version available. I will include the build number on the download page soon.

Igor

David Jacques
    David Jacques  Identity Verified
    Member (2011)
    German to English
    May 16, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

2nl wrote:

• There are no mentions of builds on the download page. How does one obtain a newer build, and can various builds be identified prior to downloading and installing them?

The memoQ download page makes it obvious which build is available for download:

One can also easily download any previous build, by editing the name of the file, for instance:

memoQ-2014-R2-Setup-56.exe

instead of:

memoQ-2014-R2-Setup-59.exe

Such a practice is highly desirable for a software that is updated very frequently, as appears to be the case with CafeTran.

[Edited at 2015-05-16 15:28 GMT]

David Jacques
    David Jacques  Identity Verified
    Member (2011)
    German to English
    PDF in CafeTran May 16, 2015

How well does CafeTran handle pdf files? This format is an increasing nuisance, with e.g. 2 UK agencies happily admitting they know of no way of 100% reliably converting pdf to any format a CAT programme can handle whilst reproducing the formatting etc. but requiring freelance translators to guarantee they reproduce the content and format of pdf files completely correctly! What's obviously needed is a CAT programme that works in PDF - but it's not going to happen.
    I read the bit in the man
    ... See more
    How well does CafeTran handle pdf files? This format is an increasing nuisance, with e.g. 2 UK agencies happily admitting they know of no way of 100% reliably converting pdf to any format a CAT programme can handle whilst reproducing the formatting etc. but requiring freelance translators to guarantee they reproduce the content and format of pdf files completely correctly! What's obviously needed is a CAT programme that works in PDF - but it's not going to happen.
    I read the bit in the manual provided by a user on how to use the clipboard - but I doubt whether this gets you a completely correct file.
    Last time headers and footers transposed position and illustrations moved several pages.
    Anyone know of any real answer?
    If so, please let me know at [email protected]. Thanks!

Collapse

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    TOPIC STARTER
    You can try Infix May 16, 2015

http://www.cbtranslation.com/outils_en_infix.html

Michael Beijer
    Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 00:01
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    Don't waste your time, invest in ABBYY FineReader May 16, 2015

David Jacques wrote:

I read the bit in the manual provided by a user on how to use the clipboard - but I doubt whether this gets you a completely correct file.
    Last time headers and footers transposed position and illustrations moved several pages.
    Anyone know of any real answer?
    If so, please let me know at [email protected]. Thanks!

I always convert my PDFs with ABBYY FineReader 12 and usually end up with .docx files that are pretty much exactly the same as the original PDFs in terms of layout, formatting, etc.

It does take a bit of work sometimes (e.g., you need to familiarise yourself with the feature that lets you specify what kind of area an area in your document is: table, image, text, etc.), but it is the best investment you can make when it comes to PDFs.

Pretty much any automatic system built into a CAT tool will fail. It might work a few times, on specific files, but in general, it is a waste of time. You would do much better investing your time and money learning to use ABBYY FineReader 12.

Michael

Michael Beijer
    Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 00:01
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    Interesting program but … May 16, 2015

Interesting program but none of my clients want PDFs back. They want Word files.

Michael

2nl (X)
    Netherlands
    TOPIC STARTER
    My clients want Word files May 18, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Interesting program but none of my clients want PDFs back. They want Word files.

Michael

Then they should send you Microsoft Word documents right away .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From memoQ to CafeTran: add speed, stability and simplicity

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »