Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2016

I've translated an excel file in Cafetran, with filters I've set the import column (and it imported and segmented it correctly) and the export column (where I want my translation to appear). When I try to export the translation instead I get a strange document that's only vaguely similar to the original, and instead of the translated segments I see bits of the TM. I can export to txt and word correctly but the segments are segmented (sorry!) so I have to copy into a txt, delete all the line brea... See more
I've translated an excel file in Cafetran, with filters I've set the import column (and it imported and segmented it correctly) and the export column (where I want my translation to appear). When I try to export the translation instead I get a strange document that's only vaguely similar to the original, and instead of the translated segments I see bits of the TM. I can export to txt and word correctly but the segments are segmented (sorry!) so I have to copy into a txt, delete all the line breaks and paste into the documents. I will probably do this because I need to hand in the document very soon (and it's not huge) - but I wonder what went wrong and why this is happening to avoid the problem in the future.Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Create a ticket Sep 26, 2016

Serena Marangoni wrote:

I've translated an excel file in Cafetran, with filters I've set the import column (and it imported and segmented it correctly) and the export column (where I want my translation to appear). When I try to export the translation instead I get a strange document that's only vaguely similar to the original, and instead of the translated segments I see bits of the TM. I can export to txt and word correctly but the segments are segmented (sorry!) so I have to copy into a txt, delete all the line breaks and paste into the documents. I will probably do this because I need to hand in the document very soon (and it's not huge) - but I wonder what went wrong and why this is happening to avoid the problem in the future.

With questions this specific I'd advise you to create a ticket and send the project files to support: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Solved? Sep 28, 2016

I just read this posting of yours:

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/306883-translating_excel_file_without_overwriting.html

As you know, CafeTran can do this, so I'm wondering: has your problem been solved?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cafetran problem when exporting excel file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »