Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
Local time: 03:12
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virtualization Apr 14, 2008

Hello Conrado, Jean-Cristophe,

Thank you both for your suggestions. I guess I will have to find out for myself as we all do. For now I have decided to try out a few of the Java applications mentioned and run a PC for Trados if and when required because selling a PC, no matter how good and new, is a money-looser and spending more on yet another Windows OS does not seem to make sense. Thus, working the MAC when Trados is
... See more
Hello Conrado, Jean-Cristophe,

Thank you both for your suggestions. I guess I will have to find out for myself as we all do. For now I have decided to try out a few of the Java applications mentioned and run a PC for Trados if and when required because selling a PC, no matter how good and new, is a money-looser and spending more on yet another Windows OS does not seem to make sense. Thus, working the MAC when Trados is not a requirement and the PC when it is seems to be the way to go for now.

Thank you all for ALL of your valuable input and suggestions.
Kindest regards,
Nicholas
Collapse

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Maja Źróbecka, MITI  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:12
English to Polish
+ ...
Not true! Apr 15, 2008

Nicholas Krivenko wrote:
The obvious solution is to run two machines, one with Windows for clients demanding Trados and one for personal enjoyment while working.

Thank you once again!
Kind regards,
Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

I also use MacBook Pro and run Trados on it. How I do it? You simply install another software called Parallels Desktop (just type in google) and via this you can run Windows on your Mac just as you run any other application like Office. I have two screens, so on one I have Mac OS (the laptop screen) and on the other I have Windows and MS Office and Trados.

All is working perfectly fine and I am really happy I went for a MacBook.

You can read a bit more on my blog at
http://www.mylingua.pl/blog/trados-for-mac-users.

Hope this helps.

Maja

Nicholas Krivenko
Nicholas Krivenko
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two screens Apr 15, 2008

Hi Maja,

That makes sense, though I am still skeptical about committing too many resources to run Windows yet again. I guess I will have to try out. Did you buy Windows separately or did you strip it off a PC you already had?

Thanks!
Nicholas

Maja Źróbecka, MITI
Maja Źróbecka, MITI  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Nicholas, Apr 21, 2008

Nicholas Krivenko wrote:

Hi Maja,

That makes sense, though I am still skeptical about committing too many resources to run Windows yet again. I guess I will have to try out. Did you buy Windows separately or did you strip it off a PC you already had?

Thanks!
Nicholas

I just used the one I was running on a PC, but I got a separate one for Mac OS.

I hope it works for you and that you are going to like it.

Maja

Sally McCorry
Sally McCorry  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I like appletrans.. Jan 17, 2009

Hi Jean-Christophe,
I am a mac user but not very computer savvy, I use AppleTrans and am very happy with it, I was just wandering what's wrong with running JAVA? What problems does it give?
And yes I do know I'm pretty late in this discussion with a question.

formfranska
formfranska
French to Swedish
OmegaT - The best I've used so far... Jan 22, 2009

Hello,

I've been using WordFast until I upgraded to Office 2008. Then I had to find a new tool since WordFast is not compatible with Office 2008.

OmegaT is my choice and it's for FREE too!
You find it here:
http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html

The only drawback is that it doesn't accept .doc or docx. but that's easy to get around by saving your text
... See more
Hello,

I've been using WordFast until I upgraded to Office 2008. Then I had to find a new tool since WordFast is not compatible with Office 2008.

OmegaT is my choice and it's for FREE too!
You find it here:
http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html

The only drawback is that it doesn't accept .doc or docx. but that's easy to get around by saving your text file in .odt with TextEdit. I'm absolutely delighted with the file structure OmegaT creates all by itself. You'll see!

Best regards
Collapse

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
AppleTrans and Swordfish, does anybody use them around here?? Jun 9, 2009

Hi there,

because of my spanking new mac I am exploring the possibilities that are open to me CAT tool wise.
I am/was a Wordfast user, although I find it a bit slow on Office for Mac (I bought Office 2004 especially for Wordfast, so I am not terribly pleased, but not big deal, after all I got it from e-bay...).
Totally by accident this morning I stumbled upon AppleTrans and from there I got to Swordfish which seems to be able to emulate Trados (which I do NOT own).
... See more
Hi there,

because of my spanking new mac I am exploring the possibilities that are open to me CAT tool wise.
I am/was a Wordfast user, although I find it a bit slow on Office for Mac (I bought Office 2004 especially for Wordfast, so I am not terribly pleased, but not big deal, after all I got it from e-bay...).
Totally by accident this morning I stumbled upon AppleTrans and from there I got to Swordfish which seems to be able to emulate Trados (which I do NOT own).
Can someone tell me of their experiences with these tools? AppleTrans is free, but swordfish costs €200!!; I know I have a 30 day trial period, but I am not sure I would have the time/inclination to launch myself into using either program unless I have some feedback. After all there must be a reason if they are not so widespread.
I understand that Rodolfo is very keen on swordfish and Jean Christoph likes AppleTrans, but is there anybody else who works with them???

Thanks a lot.

Andrea

PS

Gosh, what a relief to know that there are ways around that blasted Trados!!!
Collapse

Cintia Allsup
Cintia Allsup  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
OmegaT or any other Aug 30, 2009

Hello there!

I am also Mac maniac and I really do not miss Windows. I've been a iMac user for 2 years and I love it!
So, I am glad that I found this discussion cause I was wondering about the same thing and I am glad that there are CAT options for Mac. I also have the parallel desktop for windows just to use AtoCad...it works...but it is still Windows. I just use when I have to.

But I have another question: Does omegaT/(other Mac options) work only with Microsof O
... See more
Hello there!

I am also Mac maniac and I really do not miss Windows. I've been a iMac user for 2 years and I love it!
So, I am glad that I found this discussion cause I was wondering about the same thing and I am glad that there are CAT options for Mac. I also have the parallel desktop for windows just to use AtoCad...it works...but it is still Windows. I just use when I have to.

But I have another question: Does omegaT/(other Mac options) work only with Microsof Office? Or does it work with iWoks as well?

Thanks for the help!

Cintia
Collapse

Monique Rojkind
Monique Rojkind  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
swordfish freezes! Sep 20, 2009

I am also a MAC user and decided to give CAT tools a try.
I have word 2008, so wordfast is out of the question.
I downloaded the trial version of Swordfish and was very pleased with it... until it started freezing!
I did 2, 700 word translations without a problem and fell in love with it... and then I had to work on a 3000 word document and it just kept freezing, over and over and over again.
I had to force quit and start from scratch in word. Very infuriating!
<
... See more
I downloaded the trial version of Swordfish and was very pleased with it... until it started freezing!
I did 2, 700 word translations without a problem and fell in love with it... and then I had to work on a 3000 word document and it just kept freezing, over and over and over again.

So if anybody out there has a suggestion for a better software please let me know.

Also, for CAT tools to work you need to translate in them so that they "learn" the translations... so what happens when you change to a new tool? Can you "take" the memory with you to the new program?

Any help in this subject is greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:12
English to Spanish
Swordfish doesn´t freeze on correct usage Sep 20, 2009

Monique Rojkind wrote:
I had to force quit and start from scratch in word.

If you force quit Swordfish, you damage your TM databases because they are not properly closed.

Try creating new databases and disabling your old ones.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
SF for Mac Sep 20, 2009

Monique Rojkind wrote:

So if anybody out there has a suggestion for a better software please let me know.

Also, for CAT tools to work you need to translate in them so that they "learn" the translations... so what happens when you change to a new tool? Can you "take" the memory with you to the new program?

Any help in this subject is greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

I have been using SF for a little while and found it good enough to part with €200 for a license. I think your problem is because you have chosen the carbon build instead of the cocoa one (or viceversa). I suggest you asked the mailing list; usually the answer is very prompt in arriving. I had the same problem, but it got sorted in no time at all. I have recently finished a 30k job and the program didn't crash once.
I think the tool is good and easy to use (and cheap!!!). The BIG bonus is that you can import .TTX files, which means you are somewhat Trados tolerant.
Regarding your personal TMs all you have to do is to save it as .TMX (any CAT tool should di it) and then you can import it easy enough.
The only drawback is that it doesn't have (as yet) fuzzy recognition for glossary terms. Apart from that I would recommend it. I suggest you sort out your problem and continue you test period.

Personaly I found Wordfast far too slow on MAC, (I used to use it regularly on PC) so I had to look for an alternative that didn't need a PC emulator, and so I ended up with SF and so far so good.

Any question, just ask

Andrea

Flavia Renzelli
Flavia Renzelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados 6.5 freelance on iMac Jan 28, 2010

Hi everyone!

I have been using Windows for years, but two days ago I bought an iMac and I would like to install my Trados on it.

I've been told to install first Parallels and then Windows, but I don't know which is the best Windows version: XP or 7.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,

Flavia

Steve Poynter
Steve Poynter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Windows 7 Jan 28, 2010

Hello Flavia,

Now that Windows 7 has been released, that would be the best option for you IMHO.

Parallels, as well as VMware Fusion and Boot Camp, all work with Windows 7 now.

Flavia Renzelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi Steve! Jan 31, 2010

Hi Steve, thanks for your suggestion but in the meanwhile I found the Windows XP sp2 CD and I have installed it (together with parallels).

I read in another post that for using Trados I have to make some changes in the Parallels configuration...is it true?

Now I'm going to install Trados...let's see what happens...

Flavia Renzelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados 6.5 freelance on iMac installed... Jan 31, 2010

Ok, now my Trados 6.5 freelance is on my iMac....but I don't understand if I can use Microsoft Office package for Mac or I have to install even the microsoft package for Windows...help!

thanks in advance

Flavia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for MAC OS X Leopard

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »