Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:42
Member (2004)
English to French
Apr 8, 2011

After using Trados for a few years, it started malfunctionning. I had absolutely no clue what went wrong or why. Trados "helpdesk" could not help me and their troubleshooting website did not include the error message I was getting. It's like it's programmed to break down after a few years to make sure you spend a humongous amount of money for the latest version.
So I switched to Jive Fusion, which is Trados compatible (same layout). I transferred all my MTs to Fusion and now, everything wo
... See more
After using Trados for a few years, it started malfunctionning. I had absolutely no clue what went wrong or why. Trados "helpdesk" could not help me and their troubleshooting website did not include the error message I was getting. It's like it's programmed to break down after a few years to make sure you spend a humongous amount of money for the latest version.
So I switched to Jive Fusion, which is Trados compatible (same layout). I transferred all my MTs to Fusion and now, everything works fine. They are a local Canadian company and I know they offer an excellent customer service. Not only that, Fusion is more economical.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:42
French to English
+ ...
Something fishy... Apr 8, 2011

Here are several facts:
1. Nina is the only person here at ProZ to ever mention Jive Fusion.
2. A simple Google search doesn't reveal ANY customer reviews of Fusion except Nina's here on ProZ.
3. Publisher's web site does not contain ANY openly accessible significant information - one has to register even to download a brochure.
4. Trados bashing along the lines of "It's like it's programmed to break down after a few years to make sure you spend a humongous amount o
... See more
Here are several facts:
2. A simple Google search doesn't reveal ANY customer reviews of Fusion except Nina's here on ProZ.
3. Publisher's web site does not contain ANY openly accessible significant information - one has to register even to download a brochure.
4. Trados bashing along the lines of "It's like it's programmed to break down after a few years to make sure you spend a humongous amount of money for the latest version" looks very much like "I didn't care to reinstall the operating system in several years, so now it's full of garbage".
5. Nina's own CV does not mention Fusion, either (but does mention Trados).

I mean, is Nina's push for Jive Fusion really a bona fide proposition? I doubt it.

[Edited at 2011-04-08 14:52 GMT]
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
huh? Apr 8, 2011

Sorry Anton,
I don't know why you call me fishy and bash on me. I was just writing out of pure frustration after several attempts with Trados (and yes, I did reinstall it to no avail) and I was at my wits' end. I will update my cv for fusion. It's a rather new software, I believe, and a rather small company. We use it at the company I work for and I know one agency in Montreal who uses it. It's not because there is no review that it's not used.

Alexandre Maricato
Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 15:42
English to Portuguese
Smelling a bargain? Apr 8, 2011

I feel it is missing a coupon for discount.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Alexandre, I'm just a disgruntled customer Apr 8, 2011

saying I'm disappointed in a product and found a replacement. That's it!
I wasn't paid by said company. Hey, I even paid for the software!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just one question Apr 8, 2011

In the past I often wondered whether the market has room for one more CAT tool, but when I stopped using Trados I was happy someone invented memoQ!

I am only curious Nina: how did you come to know about Jive Fusion (advertising, recommended by a colleague, they emailed you or a colleague...) and why did you prefer not to try other good, more popular tools in the market like memoQ, Wordfast or DVX?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Tired software? Apr 8, 2011

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

So I switched to Jive Fusion, which is Trados compatible (same layout). I transferred all my MTs to Fusion and now, everything works fine. They are a local Canadian company and I know they offer an excellent customer service. Not only that, Fusion is more economical.

Software either runs or not. The reason for misfunction can be .NET or some other component in your system. If your version has run properly in the past it will do so if you re-install Windows (once a year is recommended) and the original package.
If your Jeave runs well at the moment there's no guarantee that it will do so next year, if you do not keep your system up to date.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nina bashing and Jive Apr 8, 2011

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Is Jive Fusion the same as Fusion, which was touted by ProZ.com itself some years ago?

If she had written customer reviews on several web sites, several times, then it would indicate intent. I found only one previous thread and this thread in which she had said anything about Fusion, and she said very little (and nothing that would quality as sales talk).

You can't blame Nina for that.

4. Trados bashing along the lines of "It's like it's programmed to break down after a few years to make sure you spend a humongous amount of money for the latest version" looks very much like "I didn't care to reinstall the operating system in several years, so now it's full of garbage".

Not all translators are nerds and geeks who regularly install their operating systems anew.

I mean, is Nina's push for Jive Fusion really a bona fide proposition? I doubt it.

Questioning the good faith of a fellow ProZian in the forums is in poor taste. We're here to help each other, not to gang up against one another.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
@Tomás Cano Apr 8, 2011

Hi Tomás,
I work as an in-house translator and we were looking to have a TM a few years back. We sampled a couple from various companies around the globe and, utilmately, our bosses decided to take Fusion after comparing them (ease of use and cost). We've had it for 2 years before I decided to take a licence too at home. I was working with Trados till recently, but in the end, it simply would not clean my documents. Since I had to clean them with Fusion, I decided altogether to switch com
... See more
Hi Tomás,
I work as an in-house translator and we were looking to have a TM a few years back. We sampled a couple from various companies around the globe and, utilmately, our bosses decided to take Fusion after comparing them (ease of use and cost). We've had it for 2 years before I decided to take a licence too at home. I was working with Trados till recently, but in the end, it simply would not clean my documents. Since I had to clean them with Fusion, I decided altogether to switch completely.
There are many TM softwares, some of which I have never heard. I started using Fusion by default, since our company chose it, and got so used to it that I didn't feel the need to try others. I don't do translation for agencies, just direct clients, so the TM I use, as long as it works fine, is irrelevant. It could have been any other.
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Apr 8, 2011

Thanks, Samuel, for taking my defense. I could not have put it better myself!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Makes sense Nina! Apr 8, 2011

I think it was a good decision. You should always go for whatever makes you productive, and in your case it is clearly JiveFusion. Thanks for the information! It was sheer Spanish curiosity I reckon. Have a lovely weekend!

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different points of views Apr 8, 2011

Hi, Nina

I understand your reasons to be upset. I believe SDL Trados is a complex software and it needs lots of training and hours of study, and patience! The more funcionalities it offers, more complex is to use it. This is the first time I hear about Jive Fusion, and it is great to know about it.

I believe there are different degrees of CAT tools users. Some of them love sophisticated tools, with lots of funcionalities, while others ony want to "save" segments to le
... See more
Hi, Nina

I understand your reasons to be upset. I believe SDL Trados is a complex software and it needs lots of training and hours of study, and patience! The more funcionalities it offers, more complex is to use it. This is the first time I hear about Jive Fusion, and it is great to know about it.

I believe there are different degrees of CAT tools users. Some of them love sophisticated tools, with lots of funcionalities, while others ony want to "save" segments to leverage them in the future. They even refuse to do a concordance search, or to use the glossaries. There is not one single tool to address all our different needs. And in my opinion, every CAT tool will fail -Murphy's Laws- at the worst moment: just before the deadline, or on Friday night, when there is no support available! A client of mine, after a very detailed study of the CAT tools offered in the market, decided to buy NAMEOFCATTOOL1 and asked its translators to work their projects online. My first translation project with NAMEOFCATTOOL1 was a 40.000 words project and the day before delivering, a syncronization error on their side deleted my complete proofread, reverting back my translation to a non proofread/not reviewed status. My favorite translation tool, NAMEOFCATTOOL2, is great but somehow, some files have to been opened in my older PC as my new laptop refuses to open them. Besides, there are some lovely features present in Trados Studio which are not present in my NAMEOFCATTOOL2, and I miss them. There is another CAT tool, NAMEOFCATTOOL3, which is very easy to use. And translators are happy. It never crashes (at least, it has never crashed in my PC). It has great support online. Again, it lacks of many sophisticated features present in other CAT tools, thus their users are claiming for those features. At the end, I'm just guessing, NAMEOFCATTOOL3 will be as complex and difficult to use as the most complex CAT tool.

Regarding your specific problem with Trados: You are so angry because you spent a lot of your time trying to find a solution. You are really disappointed, and you want to share that with us. This is something it happens to me all the time, and it is great to have a forum to share our experiences. Nevertheless, this is a SDL Trados specific forum and it is read by very good and talented Trados users, and SDL staff too, who might be able to help you to solve your problem. If you were more specific regarding your problem- which Trados version you are using, file type being translated, when the problem originated or after what process, perhaps someone will give you some input, or some ideas to overcome what has happened to you. For instante, while I don't have a clue for what happened to your translation memory, when I read that you could not clean the file, I thought: "Has Nina ever organized the Trados translation memory?" (Perhaps you have done that, or not. You did not give as a clue of what your problem was).

have a great day!

Clarisa Moraña
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
@Clarisa Apr 8, 2011

Thank you for your input. I will try your suggestion.
I had previously asked for help on the same topic that made me unleash my wrath today (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/172661-5:_access_denied_trados_2007_freelance.html), but it did not work.
I really didn't know where to post today's topic besides here.

Ambily Rajesh
Ambily Rajesh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:12
Member (2011)
English to Malayalam
+ ...
I am agreeing with you Samuel... Apr 8, 2011

Questioning the good faith of a fellow ProZian in the forums is in poor taste. We're here to help each other, not to gang up against one another.
[/quote]

I am agreeing with you Samuel...

[Edited at 2011-04-08 19:25 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That was a long time ago! Apr 9, 2011

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

Thank you for your input. I will try your suggestion.
I had previously asked for help on the same topic that made me unleash my wrath today (http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/172661-5:_access_denied_trados_2007_freelance.html), but it did not work.
I really didn't know where to post today's topic besides here.

I thought you had the issue yesterday! Ha, ha... Or, Do you mean that you had that issue a year ago, and now it happened to you for second time? Unfortunatedly, these things happen.
Perhaps you could have solved the cleaning issue saving the *rtf source file as *.doc file and retranslate it (better if you use TagEditor). And the original file location should never be modified.

Regards, and happy translations with your new tool. Keep us informed about its performance!

Clarisa

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jive Fusion, here I come!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »