Which CAT tool is the best?
Thread poster: CHRISTINA KYPRIANOU
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Finnish to French
Annual maintenance fee: memoQ vs. Trados Studio Aug 23, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
If you want to keep up with new versions, it's best to pay an annual support/upgrade fee, which is about €130 (similar price for memoQ and Studio).

Well, not quite: the price of the annual maintenance & support fee for memoQ is €124 (20% of the list price of €620), while the price of a "Premium Software Maintenance Agreement" (PSMA) for Trados Studio is well above €200. I don't have one, but I just requested a quote for my own copy of Studio and this is what I got:

Secondly, there's the fact any new memoQ license includes support and maintenance for the first year, whereas SDL wants you to pay for it right from the beginning.

SDL argues that their more expensive annual fee includes "unlimited" access to support, whereas Kilgray's maintenance fee "only" covers four hours worth of support. I don't think this makes much of a difference for a typical freelancer and I'm not sure Kilgray has ever denied any freelancer more support on the basis they have already "consumed" four hours worth of it during the year.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:33
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
About €130 ... or not Aug 23, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

the price of a "Premium Software Maintenance Agreement" (PSMA) for Trados Studio is well above €200.

Well, that's surprising, because in January you posted a screenshot confirming that it cost €139:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/263380-price_of_studio_2014_via_5_day_sale.html#2256979
and you confirmed that it was €139

Maybe the support fee has gone up, or maybe your rate is calculated differently now (different product versions, possibly?).

Anyway, we're getting a bit off topic here on rather an old thread in itself. Anyone who wants to continue the "Which CAT tool is best?" conversation may be interested in reading:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/267094-choosing_a_cat_tool_for_the_first_time.html

And my recent blog article with a Studio / memoQ comparison may also be useful:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/08/08/memoq/

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:33
Finnish to French
Price of PSMA based on historical price?! Aug 23, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Well, that's surprising, because in January you posted a screenshot confirming that it cost €139:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/263380-price_of_studio_2014_via_5_day_sale.html#2256979
and you confirmed that it was €139

Maybe the support fee has gone up, or maybe your rate is calculated differently now (different product versions, possibly?).

Weird, go figure! Maybe the price of PSMA's are different for old users and for new ones? In other words, it's higher for old users (because the list price of Studio was higher when they purchased it) and lower for new ones.

Freelance vs. Freelance Plus probably also plays a role: at the same time SDL decreased the list price of Freelance, they (quite significantly) increased the extra price you need to pay for Freelance Plus. I assume PSMA's are more expensive if you have Freelance Plus than if you only have Freelance.

What is the actual price you paid for your PSMA?

Dirk T. Zhang
Dirk T. Zhang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Can I decline the "Translator Group Buying"? Aug 23, 2014

Firstly, I thank everybody's suggestions about the CAT tools, especially Dominique and Emma.

I checked the "Translator Group Buying" campaign two days ago and impulsively signed my name to the waiting list of memoQ. I was the 17th person on the waiting list while the original maximum of 165 was already reached (just checked that the new maximum of 200 has already been reached and additional 19 was being waitlisted). I didn't realize that they informed me to pay.

My que
... See more
Firstly, I thank everybody's suggestions about the CAT tools, especially Dominique and Emma.

I checked the "Translator Group Buying" campaign two days ago and impulsively signed my name to the waiting list of memoQ. I was the 17th person on the waiting list while the original maximum of 165 was already reached (just checked that the new maximum of 200 has already been reached and additional 19 was being waitlisted). I didn't realize that they informed me to pay.

My question is: can I back out of this commitment? As I said I am new and I don't have any real translation jobs yet. But eventually I want to buy a CAT tool, possibly memoQ, based on my communications with Dominique.

Thank you.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Dirkphilly wrote:
I am thinking to buy either "SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Plus" ($545) or Wordfast ($320). "memoQ translator pro" looks like to be the most popular one. Unfortunately, the list is full.

Don't be too worried about the timing: there will be new promotional offers again, if not through ProZ, maybe directly from the vendors. September 30 is "Translators' Day", and as CAT tool vendors want us to believe they love us, they usually have special offers on that occasion. Get a 45-day trial copy of memoQ now, and by the time the trial is over, you'll probably be able to buy it at a substantial discount. It's a good idea to give tools a try before buying them anyway.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool is the best?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »