Guy Sommeria
Guy Sommeria  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:50
English to French
+ ...
Jun 9, 2014

hello everybody

I am looking for a CAT tool compatible with a Mac (like Memo Q)
also I am looking for an edition tool like ABBYY (edition tool)
I use voice recognition software because it helps productivity
I use a Mac for stability
but I need to have a full workstation before I do anything else
please help me kick off

Guy Sommeria

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Same Jun 9, 2014

In the same situation, all I've been told is to use boot camp or parallels and install windows for Trados.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
CAT tools Jun 9, 2014

I use CafeTran on my Mac. Alternatives include: OmegaT, Swordfish, Heartsome, and WordFast.

No need for Windows.

Cheers,

Hans

Antonio F. L (X)
Antonio F. L (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
OmegaT Jun 9, 2014

Besides using Windows CAT tools via Parallels or similar, OmegaT is a cross-platform CAT tool, working very well also on Mac, and IMHO growing as an excellent open-source CAT tool. You may want to give it a try - www.omegat.com

Antonio F. L (X)
Antonio F. L (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wrong link, sorry Jun 9, 2014

I am very sorry, please note the correct link for OmegaT is the following
http://www.omegat.org/

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:50
Finnish to French
ABBYY Jun 9, 2014

guy sommeria wrote:
I am looking for a CAT tool compatible with a Mac (like Memo Q)

All CAT tools are compatible with Mac nowadays, whether you use them natively in OS X, or inside a virtual machine. So it's just a question of picking up the one you like best.
guy sommeria wrote:
also I am looking for an edition tool like ABBYY (edition tool)

ABBYY is a (software)company, not a tool. I have no idea what an "edition tool" is, but maybe you mean an OCR (optical character recognition) software. If so, ABBYY has such a product, FineReader. There's even a Mac version of it.
guy sommeria wrote:
I use voice recognition software because it helps productivity

If the voice recognition software you currently use is Mac-based, it most likely won't work in a Windows virtual machine. If you chose a Windows CAT tool, you would have to switch to another voice recognition software (most Windows users who are into VR seem to use Dragon Naturally Speaking). If you chose a CAT tool that runs natively in OS X, you would want to check your VR software works in it (which can't be taken for granted).

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
MemSource Jun 9, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:
I use CafeTran on my Mac. Alternatives include: OmegaT, Swordfish, Heartsome, and Wordfast.

Let's add MemSource to the list. They have Mac version of their editor.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:50
German to English
+ ...
"Edition tool" = editing tool Jun 12, 2014

He means an "editing tool". "edition" (édition) is a Fr-En "false friend". Guy is not alone - I have known Yves Champollion (originator of WordFast) to make the same mistake.
The activity of reading and modifying text is, in English, "editing"; "edition" is an object (e.g. an edition of a book or newspaper), not a process.

Oliver

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZ.com software comparison tool Jun 25, 2014

You can find information including operating system requirements, user reviews, tutorials, help videos, links to free trials and more at ProZ.com's software comparison tool - http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

Happy translating,

Drew

Michal Kaščák
Michal Kaščák
Slovakia
German to Slovak
+ ...
Using Dictation and Trados Studio 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

If the voice recognition software you currently use is Mac-based, it most likely won't work in a Windows virtual machine. If you chose a Windows CAT tool, you would have to switch to another voice recognition software (most Windows users who are into VR seem to use Dragon Naturally Speaking). If you chose a CAT tool that runs natively in OS X, you would want to check your VR software works in it (which can't be taken for granted).

Now OS X Yosemite's Dictation works well with Trados Studio 2014. I have not tested other CATs yet. But in Studio, you can use Dictation and type on your keyboard at the same time.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Which virtualization software? Oct 23, 2014

Michal Kaščák wrote:
Now OS X Yosemite's Dictation works well with Trados Studio 2014. I have not tested other CATs yet. But in Studio, you can use Dictation and type on your keyboard at the same time.

Which virtualization software do you use to run Studio 2014: Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox? Do you need to use a particular mode of the virtualization software (eg. Coherence in Parallels, or Unity in Fusion), or does it work even if the virtual machine window is maximized in OS X?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

looking for a CAT tool compatible with Mac

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »