Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Сould you recommend any translation memory freeware similar to TRADOS?
Thread poster: Dominika Zdrodowski
Dominika Zdrodowski
Dominika Zdrodowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:13
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 23, 2015

Hi there,

I am recently incorporating myself into the world of translators and I was wondering if you could recommend any translation memory freeware similar to TRADOS.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:13
Member (2003)
French to English
Comparison tool Jan 23, 2015

Have you looked at the Software comparision tool here? http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 11:13
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Memo Q Jan 23, 2015

That's a tool of my choice.

Nikita Kobrin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
There is none Jan 23, 2015

oihana5 wrote:
I was wondering if you could recommend any translation memory freeware similar to TRADOS.

There are no freeware CAT tools that are similar to the modern-day Trados, I'm afraid.

There are, in fact, very few freeware CAT tools out there. There's basically Across (not recommended at all) and OmegaT. Can anyone add to the list?

Some paid CAT tools also have post-trial versions that you can use endlessly, with some restrictions. MemoQ's post-trial version does not allow reuse of previous TMs. MemoQ is the closest you'll get to "similar to Trados". Wordfast's post-trial version allows only 500 segments per TM.

Wordfast Anywhere is free but it's an online, browser-based tool.

Corinne Le Gallic
Corinne Le Gallic  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:13
English to French
MateCat Jan 24, 2015

I am not using it yet, but it looks like this new free web based tool could meet your needs.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
No "post-trial" in Wordfast Jan 25, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
Wordfast's post-trial version allows only 500 segments per TM.

For the record: there is no such thing as a "post-trial" version of Wordfast (that applies to both Classic and Pro), since there is no time restriction linked to the trial. "Demo mode" (as Wordfast calls it) as the same features (and restrictions) from day 1. The trial version of many other tools is fully functional for a limited period of time, typically 30 days (eg. Déjà Vu, Trados), or a bit longer for memoQ (45 days). Some have both a time restriction and a feature restriction during the trial period (eg. Cafetran: 30 days, max. 30 segments during a session).

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
"similar to"? Jan 25, 2015

oihana5 wrote:
I was wondering if you could recommend any translation memory freeware similar to TRADOS.

Why has it got to be "similar to Trados"? It's a bit like asking to recommend a car "similar to Toyota". All cars have four wheels, an engine and will take you from point A to point B. Same with CAT tools. But if you want a Toyota, get a Toyota, and if you want Trados, get Trados.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try WF Jan 25, 2015

I agree with Dominique. I recommend you try a demo version of WordFast (I use WF Classic) - it isn't as needlessly complex as Trados, so won't take you long to get the hang of it, and it doesn't cost the earth either if you do decide to keep it.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Or try Anaphraseus Jan 25, 2015

neilmac wrote:

I agree with Dominique. I recommend you try a demo version of WordFast (I use WF Classic) - it isn't as needlessly complex as Trados, so won't take you long to get the hang of it, and it doesn't cost the earth either if you do decide to keep it.

Or try Anaphraseus, free, but for OpenOffice/LibreOffice instead of MS Word.

http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dominique Jan 25, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
For the record: there is no such thing as a "post-trial" version of Wordfast...

Yes, it's difficult to find a term that covers all scenarios. It's the version of the product that you end up with in the long run if you don't pay for it.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
...and if you want Trados, get Trados.

The OP wants freeware (or: she wants to have something for free), so she can't "get" Trados. Do you agree with my statement that MemoQ's post-trial version fits the bill closest?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
memoQ translator free Jan 26, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
The OP wants freeware (or: she wants to have something for free), so she can't "get" Trados. Do you agree with my statement that MemoQ's post-trial version fits the bill closest?

As I have a memoQ license, I don't really know what is included in memoQ translator free nowadays (the list in the link doesn't include all the missing features). My impression is it has too many restrictions to be useable in the longer run.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Service costs money Jan 26, 2015

Unfortunately very few things are really free in this world.

If you just want a CAT tool, then you can probably go for quite a long time with Wordfast in demo mode, and hope you earn enough in the meantime to pay for a license.

Try free demos of some of the others too - that should give you several months to earn some money if you take several consecutively...
You may find one you like that is not actually Trados.

'Try before you buy' is an important
... See more
Unfortunately very few things are really free in this world.

If you just want a CAT tool, then you can probably go for quite a long time with Wordfast in demo mode, and hope you earn enough in the meantime to pay for a license.

Try free demos of some of the others too - that should give you several months to earn some money if you take several consecutively...

'Try before you buy' is an important principle, because many people have a favourite CAT or two and find others a pain. People love or hate Trados, and although Across does not seem to be highly popular, some translators actually like it. I have tried several CATs, and always come back to Trados, but that is my preference.

Ultimately, however, a lot of time and thought has gone into developing those CATs, and developers have to live too. There are differences. SDL and the others provide a lot of service, updates and backup, and that is how they make a living, so they need to be paid.

While we translators all complain about low rates and want to be paid enough to make a reasonable living, we should not forget that the same goes for IT developers.

I hope you find something you are happy with, and wish you luck!

[Edited at 2015-01-26 10:53 GMT]
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
WFC and MetaTexis Jan 26, 2015

Christine Andersen wrote:

Wordfast was mentioned, other CAT for MS Word is MetaTexis (or Snowball, too).
One version is for MS Word 32-bit and other for 64-bit.

http://www.metatexis.net/

There are full featured NET/Office and with less features Pro. The last one is Lite.

"NET/Office", "Pro", "Lite".
--
Free verion "Lite"

All basic functions to translate Word documents are available, including:
- Translation memory
- Terminology database/glossary
The advanced functions of version "Pro" and NET/Office are not included

Trial version

All functions are available for 60 days or 600 usages maximum
After the test period the more advanced functions are de-activated, while other functions are restricted

Milan Condak
Wordfast and MetaTexis Trainer

[Upraveno: 2015-01-26 17:45 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Heartsome Studio Jan 26, 2015

It is free now. No guarantees of functionality. It is a discontinued commercial project, no longer supported by its vendor. Scroll down the page for the download link.

https://github.com/heartsome/translationstudio8

Piotr

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Agree with Piotr Jan 26, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
It is free now. No guarantees of functionality. It is a discontinued commercial project, no longer supported by its vendor.

Yes, Heartsome would probably the closest thing to a fully functional (unrestricted) freeware CAT tool "similar to Trados" (whatever that means).

Whether it makes sense to invest time learning a tool that is most likely never going to be updated is another matter. If the original poster is interested in Heartsome, she may want to have a look at the video I made on it (before it got discontinued):

http://wordfast.fi/blog/?p=714

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Сould you recommend any translation memory freeware similar to TRADOS?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »