Thread poster: Nathalie Andrews (X)
Nathalie Andrews (X)
Nathalie Andrews (X)
Canada
Local time: 10:19
English to French
Mar 20, 2015

Hello,

Has anyone ever used Gazoo, the companion to TradooIT? I recently came across this tool but I am having difficulty finding any information or documentation about it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

tradooit
tradooit
Canada
Documentation + Questions Mar 20, 2015

Hi,

I developed Gazoo and if you have any questions please fell free to ask them.

Meanwhile, you can find documentation at this location:

English ...
See more
Hi,

I developed Gazoo and if you have any questions please fell free to ask them.

Meanwhile, you can find documentation at this location:

English http://en.wiki.tradooit.com/guide-dutilisation/compagnon
French http://wiki.tradooit.com/guide-dutilisation/compagnon

Simon
Collapse

Nathalie Andrews (X)
Nathalie Andrews (X)
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 20, 2015

Hi Simon,

Thank you for replying, but mostly thank you for developping this tool. I have been using TradooIT for some time, but only discovered Gazoo yesterday. I played around with it on a small project and I really lilke it!

My questions concern mostly the use of a TM, but I will get back to you with more specific questions.

Nathalie

trad01nter
trad01nter
Canada
TradooIT/Gazoo Mar 20, 2015

Hello Nathalie,

Nice to meet you. I am happy to see that you have discovered Gazoo. I for one use it almost every day : it is so a user-friendly tool. If you want some interesting tricks on using it with MT, I suggest you read a post I have just written entitled "Des "tonnes de copies" : les fichiers TMX vous donnent-ils des maux de tête" at http://goo.gl/tDZ4Zn . There is an English version of thi
... See more
Hello Nathalie,

Nice to meet you. I am happy to see that you have discovered Gazoo. I for one use it almost every day : it is so a user-friendly tool. If you want some interesting tricks on using it with MT, I suggest you read a post I have just written entitled "Des "tonnes de copies" : les fichiers TMX vous donnent-ils des maux de tête" at http://goo.gl/tDZ4Zn . There is an English version of this post : please just let me know if you want to read it and share it with English-speaking colleagues who might be interested by this issue.

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact me or Simon. He is so willing to help translators to translate easily or like he say it "Traduire en toute simplicité" : with Gazoo, it is the translator's turn.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:19
Finnish to French
Gazoo/TradooIT Apr 1, 2015

Nathalie Andrews wrote:
Has anyone ever used Gazoo, the companion to TradooIT? I recently came across this tool but I am having difficulty finding any information or documentation about it.

Strangely enough, I had never heard about Gazoo/TradooIT. I decided to install it, but I failed to see its benefits and it looked quite rudimentary compared to established tools that also work as MS Word add-ins (Wordfast Classic, MetaTexis).

OK, you can search English-French concordances via TradooIT and have results displayed in a portion of your Word window. OTOH, I could easily call TradooIT via IntelliWebSearch (the way I use it with Linguee) and have the same results displayed in my browser. As a concordancer, TradooIT looks quite similar to Linguee, except Linguee supports far more language pairs.

Installing Gazoo resulted in installing the following components:

They made loading Word 2010 much slower. When I uninstalled them, I regained about 80 GB of disk space and Word 2010 now loads almost instantly.

Nathalie Andrews (X)
Nathalie Andrews (X)
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Gazoo Apr 1, 2015

I have to respectfully disagree with Dominique. Installing Gazoo did not slow down my version of Word and I find the TradooIt « concordancier » more relavant than Linguee, the sources being more reliable for my purposes and language combination. My TMs are easy to load and quickly accessible as well. I have used it for a few projects now, and I found the learning curve to be quite acceptable. All in all, in my opinion, Gazoo is a great tool generously offered for free. Not to mention that afte... See more
I have to respectfully disagree with Dominique. Installing Gazoo did not slow down my version of Word and I find the TradooIt « concordancier » more relavant than Linguee, the sources being more reliable for my purposes and language combination. My TMs are easy to load and quickly accessible as well. I have used it for a few projects now, and I found the learning curve to be quite acceptable. All in all, in my opinion, Gazoo is a great tool generously offered for free. Not to mention that after I posted a question in here, the developper was very responsive and helpful.Collapse

tradooit
tradooit
Canada
Gazoo - Comments Apr 1, 2015

Hi Dominique Pivard,

I would like to address your concerns.

1- Many people like to not have to switch windows. It is one reason why you would like to have Gazoo.

2- Word 2010 should not load any slower than before. I had this comments once before and the person notice that only the first time they opened Word after installing Gazoo. For sure, the computer was just rebooted and Word wasn't in the cache.
You can test this by
1-Open Word once aft
... See more
Hi Dominique Pivard,

I would like to address your concerns.

1- Many people like to not have to switch windows. It is one reason why you would like to have Gazoo.

2- Word 2010 should not load any slower than before. I had this comments once before and the person notice that only the first time they opened Word after installing Gazoo. For sure, the computer was just rebooted and Word wasn't in the cache.
You can test this by
1-Open Word once after restarting windows. You notice that it takes some time. (with or without Gazoo)
2-Close all instances of Word and reopen it. At this point it should be as fast as before.

3-Gazoo installation takes around 50 megs. (not 80 gig). I would be very surprised if it takes more than 200 megs uncompress...otherwise I will be rich selling the new compression method!:-)
You can communicate with me if you would like to discover what went wrong.

4- It seems that you only tried the concordancer part of Gazoo which is the smaller part. Gazoo is much more than that. The way you translate Word document with Gazoo is very different from other tools and I would be more than happy to show it to you!

5- Gazoo experience is always better if your memory is in TradooIT (which is entirely secure and private)

Again, do not hesitate to communicate with us for any questions/concerns.

Have a nice day.

Simon
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TradooIT/Gazoo

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »