United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Also interested … Feb 16, 2016

Ari Rotonen wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I hate every moment of my life when I have a memoQ screen in front of me. On the other hand, I've been quite comfortable working in Memsource (desktop editor).

Interesting... Your opinion is somewhat uncommon, would you care to describe your experiences in more detail?

My mother (also a translator) uses an old version of memoQ, and I was sort of considering getting her to use Memsource instead, so I could help her manage her TMs better remotely. Is it really that good/bad?

Michael

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
Finnish to French
New Memsource video Feb 18, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:
My mother (also a translator) uses an old version of memoQ, and I was sort of considering getting her to use Memsource instead, so I could help her manage her TMs better remotely. Is it really that good/bad

Good timing (for your mother), I just published a new video on Memsource

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2016/02/18/first-steps-with-memsource-editor-v-5-2015/
or
https://youtu.be/C6UbHcnEHA4

Eirik Birkeland
Eirik Birkeland  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 01:02
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Horse -> Ferrari -> Interstellar spaceship May 27, 2016

I like the horse/Ferrari analogy for MemSource and memoQ, though in some ways MemSource seems more polished than memoQ, so I might choose the horse for simple tasks (and way cheaper). The obvious reason why MemSource is more 'polished' is that it was developed from scratch in more recent years, while I get the feeling that memoQ contains some clunky legacy technology - with occasional crashes still, but nothing that's game-breaking.

I am of the impression that Trados is like a wonde
... See more
I like the horse/Ferrari analogy for MemSource and memoQ, though in some ways MemSource seems more polished than memoQ, so I might choose the horse for simple tasks (and way cheaper). The obvious reason why MemSource is more 'polished' is that it was developed from scratch in more recent years, while I get the feeling that memoQ contains some clunky legacy technology - with occasional crashes still, but nothing that's game-breaking.

I am of the impression that Trados is like a wondertool: an interstellar spaceship with a hefty warp drive, that you can transform any way you like by writing your own plugins if needed.

I've heard praise that memoQ is made by translators for translators, and is generally more translator-friendly than Trados, but since I have only occasionally used Trados, I can't tell if this is true or just a myth.

Does Trados still crash in 2016? I know that I don't want to pay SDL's hefty entrance fee, until it makes sense for my business.

I definitely do wish memoQ was more plugin-friendly - the ecosystem for plugins is rather small since Kilgray has to approve all of them, though at the same time this means less experimental stuff to potentially ruin your work, which is always a good thing!
Collapse

Javier Fain
Javier Fain
Argentina
Local time: 20:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
A Horse? Sep 27, 2016

I fell into this thread by mere chance and I couldn't hold my guffaw after reading the horse/Ferrari/rocket metaphor....
If Memsource is like riding a horse, I bet you have failed your licence test many times

An excellent, state-of-the-art translation environment (much more than a mere CAT) from both PM and translator perspectives. I wouldn't blame the tool if the Project Manager doesn't provide you with all the
... See more
I fell into this thread by mere chance and I couldn't hold my guffaw after reading the horse/Ferrari/rocket metaphor....
If Memsource is like riding a horse, I bet you have failed your licence test many times

An excellent, state-of-the-art translation environment (much more than a mere CAT) from both PM and translator perspectives. I wouldn't blame the tool if the Project Manager doesn't provide you with all the necessary resources to deliver a top-quality, timely job.

I can provide single arguments for each of the issues described in this post, should they remain as such...
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Take it easy. We do not blame but compare... Sep 28, 2016

Ok, let me describe my routine tasks I do day to day. I localize game scripts. Usually, it looks like this:

I have an Excel file with 3 to 23 tabs.

Each tab has 10 to 40 columns. Most of those columns are languages of the world. Some are roles, source/target character limits, and other attributes (does not matter). And one column is the source language, which is usually English.

From those 10 to 40 columns, I need to extract the source (English) language an
... See more
Ok, let me describe my routine tasks I do day to day. I localize game scripts. Usually, it looks like this:

I have an Excel file with 3 to 23 tabs.

Each tab has 10 to 40 columns. Most of those columns are languages of the world. Some are roles, source/target character limits, and other attributes (does not matter). And one column is the source language, which is usually English.

From those 10 to 40 columns, I need to extract the source (English) language and the target (Russian) language columns so that once translated, I have my Russian translation in the relevant column in Excel.

The columns that are required for work may differ from tab to tab. Say I have column "C" for source language and column "AM" for target in tab 1. Then I have column "K" for source language and column "L" for target in tab 2. And so on.

Trados can do it only for one-tab excel files.
Having typed "memsource bilingual excel" in Google, I found this pretty old link to an awkward workaround: http://support.memsource.com/topic/working-with-bilingual-excel-file
Maybe I am missing something about Memsource?

Could you please let me know how can I handle this in Memsource (extract different columns from multitab Excel files for translation purposes and then have them in their places)?

[Edited at 2016-09-28 06:19 GMT]
Collapse

Javier Fain
Javier Fain
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
Turnaround for Excel concern Sep 29, 2016

Stepan,

I've read your case thoroughly and I think I help you (though I have some questions as well). First of all, let's agree that your problem is beyond CAT Tools: there is not way to tell Memsource, MemoQ, Trados or whatever "OK. I want these columns from these tabs all translatable, but please do not touch the others...". There is neither a logic nor a pattern that can think of.

Given that said, there are a couple of alternatives you can regard. You said that you
... See more
Stepan,

I've read your case thoroughly and I think I help you (though I have some questions as well). First of all, let's agree that your problem is beyond CAT Tools: there is not way to tell Memsource, MemoQ, Trados or whatever "OK. I want these columns from these tabs all translatable, but please do not touch the others...". There is neither a logic nor a pattern that can think of.

Given that said, there are a couple of alternatives you can regard. You said that you only need two columns for each tab, the English source and Russian, as a target. I'm not sure whether there is some already translated content in that Russian column, or if all the text in that column must be deleted completed, or there are empty cells which you would need to focus on, etc. Let's assume they are empty. This would be my approach:

1) Select all the columns of each tab except the ones you need (English and Russian).
2) Right-click on those and hit "Hide".
3) Select the rows where there are Russian translations and hide them. In doing so, there would only be empty cells in the Russian columns.
4) Copy the content of the English column into the Russian one.
5) Hide the English column.
6) Repet all the steps for each tab.
7) Process the pre-processed Excel file in Memsource (or your preferred CAT tool) and translate as usual. You will only see the segmented text which wasn't hidden.
8) Cleanup the file and unhide all the colums of each tab you have hidden at the beginning of the process.

You will see that your translation will be placed in the relevant columns and the rest of the document will remain unmodified. I know it can be a little tedious if you have fourty tabs, you would end up in hidding lots of columns. However, it might not take you more than 5-7 minutes.

Depending on how frequently you receive this kind of documents, you can contemplate other options, like a script which would extract the columns you would indicate (by their column name), but that's another story for now....

Hope this is useful. Let me know if it works.

[Edited at 2016-09-29 03:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-29 11:22 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you Javier Oct 2, 2016

for your detailed reply. I am pretty sure your workaround will be very useful for those who do not use memoQ.
But you are wrong here:
"There is no way to tell ... memoQ... I want these columns".
Yes, there is. The problem _was_ beyond CAT tools until I discovered memoQ. Since 2013 as a minimum (maybe longer, I don't know) it's not a problem — they've found both a logic and a pattern.
Hope now you understand why I compare M. and m. this way. What is impossible for the
... See more
for your detailed reply. I am pretty sure your workaround will be very useful for those who do not use memoQ.
But you are wrong here:
"There is no way to tell ... memoQ... I want these columns".
Yes, there is. The problem _was_ beyond CAT tools until I discovered memoQ. Since 2013 as a minimum (maybe longer, I don't know) it's not a problem — they've found both a logic and a pattern.
Hope now you understand why I compare M. and m. this way. What is impossible for the former, is a routine task for the latter.

Btw, I saw a similar question somewhere around here from an Italian user. And another guy also suggested using memoQ for this purpose. So this type of task is not that rare, I believe, and memoQ is known to handle it well.

[Edited at 2016-10-02 17:46 GMT]
Collapse

Javier Fain
Javier Fain
Argentina
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stepan: Oct 13, 2016

I've tested what you have commented on that feature in MemoQ. It does work as you have described, thanks for that. However, I have a little argument: if you need to import columns from many different tabs, as you explained, you need to add one single range per tab (there is an option to do it directly in the Excel file), which could take some minutes...

The difference is that in Memsource you would need to preprocess your original, source file before uploading it (with the hidding w
... See more
I've tested what you have commented on that feature in MemoQ. It does work as you have described, thanks for that. However, I have a little argument: if you need to import columns from many different tabs, as you explained, you need to add one single range per tab (there is an option to do it directly in the Excel file), which could take some minutes...

The difference is that in Memsource you would need to preprocess your original, source file before uploading it (with the hidding workaround I explained), whereas in MemoQ you don't need to touch the source file, just setting up the filter correctly once uploaded to the system.

In matters of time, it's more or less the same.

Javi.-
Collapse

Scott Saylor
Scott Saylor  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Japanese to English
Horse vs. Ferrari Nov 11, 2017

Enjoyed the comment --> "So, I am still on a horse, I like the horse, I think its great and it does what I need it to do"

If you like the horse, use the horse! I can't tell you how many problems I have had in life going for the Ferrari.

As a non-TM software example (but still relevant to translation), Microsoft Word gets worse every year with the new features. They've killed all the things that use to make it fast and efficient, making them more laborious and downright
... See more
Enjoyed the comment --> "So, I am still on a horse, I like the horse, I think its great and it does what I need it to do"

If you like the horse, use the horse! I can't tell you how many problems I have had in life going for the Ferrari.

As a non-TM software example (but still relevant to translation), Microsoft Word gets worse every year with the new features. They've killed all the things that use to make it fast and efficient, making them more laborious and downright irritating: Spell Check no longer allows you to keep your mouse in the same place to click on "add word" or "replace word" so you end up accepting spelling errors and changing words that you wouldn't otherwise want to change unless you move the mouse each time. I could go on and on.

The horse all the way!
Collapse

Claudia Oitavén

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemSource vs. MemoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »