Clémence Delmas
Clémence Delmas  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:00
German to French
+ ...
Oct 12, 2015

Dear colleagues,
I am looking for a tool that could present a bilingual memory translation or Excel file like in linguee. My data are in Excel and I would like non translators to be able to do full text searches. The results should be displayed in a user friendly way.
Would anybody have ideas?
Thanks in advance

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
The freeware version (2.9) of Xbench? Oct 12, 2015

It doesn't do Excel, but it does do many "bilingual memory translation" formats.

[Edited at 2015-10-12 15:28 GMT]

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
Csv Oct 13, 2015

Plus, you should be able to export your Excel in .csv format, which it does handle.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Xbench Oct 13, 2015

My stock answer to this question is: the old, free version of xbench by default, and TMLookup if your files are extremely large (several million TUs).

[Edited at 2015-10-13 12:37 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
Finnish to French
TMLookup? Oct 13, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:
My stock answer to this question is: the old, free version of xbench by default, and lf aligner if your files are extremely large (several million TUs).

How about TMLoookup? Wouldn’t it qualify as a "TM reader" (better than LF Aligner), which is what the original poster wanted?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Oct 13, 2015

Of course I meant TMLookup, I had a brain fart. I corrected my post above.

dingrui357
dingrui357  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:00
German to Chinese
Heartsome TMX Editor Oct 13, 2015

Use Heartsome TMX Editor.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
Finnish to French
editor vs. concordancer Oct 14, 2015

dingrui357 wrote:
Use Heartsome TMX Editor.

Yes, Heartsome TMX Editor can be used to convert an Excel table into a TMX memory, as explained here.

However, the original poster wanted something that would let "non translators do full text searches" and "display results in a user friendly way". Heartsome TMX Editor isn’t optimal for that, because well, it’s an editor, not a concordancer. TMLookup would be a better choice IMO.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A cross-platform alternative Oct 14, 2015

AntPConc

But if your non-translator still uses Windows, TMLookup is probably the better choice.

Cheers,

Hans

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
AntPConc Oct 14, 2015

AntPConc looks nice, but I can’t see what formats it supports, even from the help file. It talks about building a concordance? Sounds a bit labour-intensive.

Clémence Delmas
Clémence Delmas  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 16, 2015

Thank you all for these suggestions! I will try TMLookup first and see if my colleagues find it easy to use.

Have a nice day!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
AntConc Oct 16, 2015

Mark Dobson wrote:
but I can’t see what formats it supports

Plain text only, I'm afraid. TMLookup can also handle TMX. You can change the file extension of a TMX file into .txt, so AntPConc can handle it, but it won't look particularly nice. I think Clémence made the right decision.

I don't use AntPConc myself, but I do use AntConc for word frequencies, keywords, and n-grams. Also plain text only.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a free translation memory "reader"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »