wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:51
Chinese to English
+ ...
Excellence personified Sep 18, 2013

That is such a shame.

Shaun was so talented, yet always extremely humble. He will be sorely missed.

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:51
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
郁闷 Sep 18, 2013

http://weibo.com/u/1615972223

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
真不敢相信 Sep 18, 2013

但愿不是真的!

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
核实 Sep 18, 2013

我没用微薄,可否请与他有联络的朋友进一步核实先?!

Lin Yang
Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
我刚才专门去注册了一个微博。 Sep 18, 2013

说是9月18日早上去世的。下面落款是"Shaun's Family".

真是不敢相信,他真是非常非常有才华,他翻译的作品读来令人叹而观止。怎么会这样?!

James_xia wrote:

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
天妒英才 Sep 18, 2013

Lin Yang wrote:

说是9月18日早上去世的。下面落款是"Shaun's Family".

真是不敢相信,他真是非常非常有才华,他翻译的作品读来令人叹而观止。怎么会这样?!

James_xia wrote:

我刚才浏览了他的博客,的确非常钦佩他的文字表达能力!古典,唯美,已臻化境!

[Edited at 2013-09-18 16:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-19 11:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-19 16:09 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
还是不敢相信 Sep 18, 2013

一般而言,家属是不会以微博方式发讣告的。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
心含皓月当指引 Sep 18, 2013

心含皓月当指引,胸纳狂颠无须藏。

原文:Follow your inner moonlight; don’t hide the madness. ——Allen Ginsberg

文采斐然!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Not only was Shaun an ultimate professional Sep 18, 2013

... but he was a true gentleman who had high standards both morally and spiritually. That is what I admired and will miss of him the most.

His passing is a great loss to our forum.

http://www.mtis.com.sg/en/Sample.html

福喜自来
I believe the root of all happiness on this earth to lie in the realization of a spiritual life with a consciousness of something wider than materialism; in the capacity to live in a world that makes you unselfish because you are not overanxious about your own comic fallibilities; that gives you tranquility without complacency because you believe in something so much larger than yourself. – Sir Hugh Walpole
窃以为,所谓人间欢乐,在于精神境界,了知物欲之外,天地 远为开阔;人说世间福报,存乎自在心态,不为私心所扰,则 福喜自来。盖若信天地之大,一己之渺,则个人谬讹,实无伤 大雅,存此一心可淡然不骄。

善恶相成
My success and my misfortunes, the bright and the dark days I have gone through, everything has proved to me that in this world, either physical or moral, good comes out of evil just as well as evil comes out of good. My errors will point to thinking men the various roads, and will teach them the great art of treading on the brink of the precipice without falling into it. It is only necessary to have courage, for strength without self-confidence is useless. – Giacomo Casanova

余历经成败兴衰,跌宕起伏。遂悟世间万物,或实或虚,皆善 恶相成,邪正相生。余之覆必成智者之鉴,使其缘崖行而弗坠。 人之所需,唯勇气尔。盖空有余力而无必成之心,弗济于事也。

Although I never had the chance to personally talk to Shaun off-line, he always maintained an open line with me through the Yahoo! messaging feature after we both participated in the one and only virtual conference that was held in our forum a long time ago.

Very sad indeed.

[Edited at 2013-09-19 12:58 GMT]

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
RIP Sep 18, 2013

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences, all events are blessings given to us to learn from. -Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

要学会静思内省,了悟世间万物皆其来有自,没所谓阴差阳错;明白诸般人事乃天賜机缘,就要你经受学习。 – 姚登南译

同摘自 http://www.mtis.com.sg/ 首页。

[Edited at 2013-09-18 17:50 GMT]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
未經證實,暫不敢相信。 Sep 18, 2013

英语警察:R. I. P. //@天平山上:CEJ(群名,他自称洗衣机)老师(新加坡国大兼职助理教授姚登南先生——Tean Lam Yeo Shaun先生,在中国还获得过翻译大奖)因心脏病突发,昨晚去世。愿这位热爱翻译的优秀人才安息!
2013年09月18日 21:51 微博转发 | 推特转发

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
In fond memory of Shaun Yeo Sep 18, 2013

http://www.people.com.cn/GB/paper2836/14977/1328815.html

别冷落了我们的“语言” -- 李 艺 2005年

身为中国人,你可曾想过:如果有一天,你的汉语还不及英语运用自如,这值得庆幸,还是一种悲哀?

去年,由上海翻译家协会和上海译文出版社《外国文艺·译文》联手举办的首届翻译大赛爆出冷门:大赛的一等奖空缺,二等奖颁予了来自新加坡的译者 姚登南。 翻译家协会副会长 黄源深说,将惟一的二等奖授予 姚登南 ,这一决定在评委会中可以说毫无争议———他的水平明显高于其他参赛者。他的胜出不仅体现在英文水平上,更重要的在于他流畅、优美的中文表达。

据介绍,这次大赛共收到参赛稿700多件,然而评委们却高兴不起来———在众多参赛作品中很难找到出色的译文。

汉语“墙内开花墙外香”

有人觉得,汉语作为母语,我们无须耗费精力去学就能掌握好,但事实又如何?来自加拿大的留学生詹姆斯说,他对中国学生的语文水平有点失望,“我的中国同学讲话时经常夹杂着英文单词,有些中国成语他们都不明白是什么意思,而且很多中国人的汉字写得不好看。”

与此形成鲜明对比的是,近年来,全球“汉语热”一直在持续升温。一份调查显示,至2004年,学习汉语的外国人已达3000万,有100多个国家的2300余所大学开设了汉语课程,汉语已进入美、英、日、韩等国的中小学课堂;近年来面向外国人举行的中华才艺大赛上,老外们字正腔圆地唱着京剧、说着相声,有板有眼地表演中国书法,我们在佩服他们的同时,难道不为自己汗颜吗?我们不得不承认:当汉语高调走向世界时,这种古老、丰富而优雅的语言,在本土的处境却多少有些尴尬。

如今世界各国间的交往越来越广,掌握外语的重要性已毋庸置疑。但我们要知道,母语的地位是永远不可取代的,因为语言不仅仅是一种表达工具,它跟一个民族的文化心理、思维方式密切相关,它记录了一个民族的文化踪迹,成为延续历史与未来的血脉。如果说任何文化的特性都展示在自己的语言中,那么保护语言就是保护自己赖以生存的文化基因。

在国外生活过的人都知道,国际间的交流绝不仅仅表现在语言层面上,更深层次的交流表现在文化背景和国家实力的对话。向往外面世界的国人应对中文有更多的自尊与自爱,至少不能让中文在本土遭到冷落!因为一个国家,只有尊重自己文化,才可能为世界所尊重。

[Edited at 2013-09-18 21:46 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
真美之道-姚登南译文选1 Sep 18, 2013

http://mtis.com.sg/altxlation/

胸纳狂颠无须藏
Posted on August 18, 2013 by [email protected]
原文: Follow your inner moonlight; don’t hide the madness. ——Allen Ginsberg
博主: 心含皓月当指引,胸纳狂颠无须藏。
注: 本例取自2013年8月18日早报双语录。我也聊献一译,
... See more
http://mtis.com.sg/altxlation/

胸纳狂颠无须藏
原文: Follow your inner moonlight; don’t hide the madness. ——Allen Ginsberg
博主: 心含皓月当指引,胸纳狂颠无须藏。
注: 本例取自2013年8月18日早报双语录。我也聊献一译,权当练笔。林老师原译文为:
“追随你内心的月光,不要隐藏内心的激狂。”

活得义无反顾
原文: “You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching, Love like you’ll never be hurt, Sing like there’s nobody listening, And live like it’s heaven on earth.” – William W. Purkey
博主:要舞得仿佛无人围观, 爱得有如不受伤害, 唱得恍若无人旁听,活得如在人间天堂。
“跳舞就要像没人在一旁看着般起舞;爱就要像未曾受伤般去爱;歌唱就要像没人在旁聆听般高歌;
活着就要像人生只此一次,死后不会有天堂。”

Lake of Autumn
Posted on September 28, 2012 by minami2011
原文:Lake of Autumn
I remember quite clearly now when the story happened. The autumn leaves were floating in measure down to the ground, recovering the lake, where we used to swim like children, and the sun would dare to shine. That time we used to be happy. Well, I thought we were. But the truth was that you had been longing to leave me, not daring to tell me. On that precious night, watching the lake, vaguely conscious, you said: Our story is ending.

The rain was killing the last days of summer, you had been killing my last breath of love since a long time ago. I still don’t think I’m gonna make it through another love story. You took it all away from me. And there I stand, I knew I was going to be the one left behind. But still I’m watching the lake, vaguely conscious, and I know my life is ending.

博主:秋湖
那是什么时候的事,我依然清楚记得。当时秋叶徐飘,落到地面湖中。那湖曾有大把阳光洒落,而我们则常如孩童般在湖里嬉水游泳。那段时光,我俩曾很幸福,至少我那么认为。但其实你早已萌生去意,只是不敢明说罢了。在那弥足珍贵的夜晚,我俩凝望湖水。我在心神恍惚中听见你说:我俩就到此为止吧。
夏末竟下起雨来,扼杀了仅存的几个夏日,而好久以前,你就开始扼杀我仅存的爱意了。时至今天,我还是觉得我没法再爱上谁,因为你把我的爱都掳走了,一点不剩。我就这样孤立湖边,心里早明白落下的那人肯定是我。可我还在凝望湖水,朦胧之中,我心知我的一生已经走到了尽头。

众人皆醉
Posted on July 29, 2013 by [email protected]
原文: Don’t be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.
博主:即便众人皆醉你独醒,也要醒着,别怕。

固执人生
Posted on August 25, 2013 by [email protected]
原文: Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.——Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
博主:世事变迁,亲友远离,但人生依然固执前行,不为你我稍作停留。
注: 本例取自2013年8月25日早报双语录。我也聊献一译,权当练笔。林老师原译文为:
“物换星移,朋友离去。人生不会为任何人而停滞。”

我行我素
原文: Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.——Bernard M. Baruch
博主:我行我素,畅所欲言。因为介意直率言行者,你不会在乎。你在乎者,不会介意直率言行。
“做你自己,说你心里的话。你无需去在乎介怀的人,你应该在乎的人是不会介意的。”

静思内省
Posted on July 27, 2013 by [email protected]
原文: Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences, all events are blessings given to us to learn from.
博主:要学会静思内省,了悟世间万物皆其来有自,没所谓阴差阳错;明白诸般人事乃天賜机缘,就要你经受学习。

殆势
Posted on June 30, 2013 by minami2011
原文: It makes me feel guilty that anybody should have such a good time doing what they are supposed to do.
博主:干本来就该干的活,居然还很开心,我真该死。
注:本例取自2013年6月30日早报双语录。我也聊献一译,权当练笔。林老师原译文为:
“我很享受每一个创造的过程,一个人居然能够如此享受工作,说到我自己都感到愧疚了。

所谓名人
Posted on May 26, 2013 by minami2011
原文:A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.- Fred Allen (1894 – 1956)
博主:一辈子拼死拼活,就为了博得人人都识君,待到无人不识君了,却往往墨镜一副,怕被人认出

眼界•格局
Posted on May 24, 2013 by minami2011
原文:When a man is wrapped up in himself, he makes a pretty small package. -John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
博主:眼中若只容得下自己,那这眼界也未免太小了。

任务清单
Posted on May 7, 2013 by minami2011

今日任务清单
 知足感恩
 行善助人
 放开放下
 静思聆听
 从容,真办事
 呼吸,不乱想

有成无成
Posted on April 28, 2013 by minami2011
原文:I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.— George Burns
博主:宁做醉心事而无所成,也不干窝囊事而有所成。
注:网友发来微博翻译。据说李开复译文为:
宁愿失败地做你爱做的事情,也不要成功地做你恨做的事情。

多看开,常宽恕,长记取
Posted on February 26, 2013 by minami2011
原文:Life is short, even for those who live a long time, and we must live for the few who know and appreciate us, who judge and absolve us, and for whom we have the same affection and indulgence. The rest I look upon as a mere crowd, lively or sad, loyal or corrupt, from whom there is nothing to be expected but fleeting emotions, either pleasant or unpleasant, which leave no trace behind them. We ought to hate very rarely, as it is too fatiguing; remain indifferent to a great deal, forgive often and never forget.
~ Sarah Bernhardt
博主:
你我就是活得再长寿,人生还是短。有些人了解并珍惜我们,批评却宽恕我们,而我们也爱他们,宠他们。虽然这样的人不多,但我们要为他们而活。其他人等,高兴也好,悲伤也好,信守承诺也好,腐败堕落也好,都只是匆匆过客。对过客,我们仅有短暂喜恶,水过无痕,别无所求。怨恨累人,所以别怨;要多看开,常宽恕,长记取。

From Atonement
Posted on January 25, 2013 by minami2011
原文:Not everything had a cause, and pretending otherwise was an interference in the workings of the world that was futile, and could even lead to grief. – from Atonement
博主:世间诸事,未必都事出有因。明知如此,却以凡事有果必有因自欺,对原已徒劳之世间运转而言,轻则干扰,重则生悲。
注:友人发来郭国良老师原译:并不是所有事情都有原因的。如果硬要反其道而行,那只能是对这个庸碌世界自行运转的一种干涉,甚至还有可能带来不幸。

非常功
Posted on August 31, 2011 by minami2011
原文:If you want something you’ve never had, then you’ve got to do something you’ve never Done.
博主:欲成非常事,须下非常功。

克服万难者,唯爱而已
Posted on August 27, 2011 by minami2011
原文:We do not want our world to perish. But in our quest for knowledge, century by century, we have placed all our trust in a cold, impartial intellect which only brings us nearer to destruction. We have heeded no wisdom offering guidance. Only by learning to love one another can our world be saved. Only love can conquer all.~Dora Russell~
博主:谁都不想世界趋向毁灭,但漫漫年月里,上下求索中,我们竟把心交托给冰冷、爱恶不分的理性知识,这只会把我们推向灭亡。我们未曾留意指路明灯——人间有情,世界有望。克服万难者,唯爱而已。

变化无常,人生必然
Posted on August 27, 2011 by minami2011
原文:I don’t know what God is, or what God had in mind when the universe was set in motion. In fact, I don’t know if God even exists, although I confess that I sometimes find myself praying in times of great fear, or despair, or astonishment at a display of unexpected beauty. There are some ten thousand religious sects — each with its own cosmology, each with its own answer for the meaning of life and death. Most assert that the other 9,999 not only have it completely wrong but are instruments of evil, besides. None of the ten thousand has yet persuaded me to make the requisite leap of faith. In the absence of conviction, I’ve come to terms with the fact that uncertainty is an inescapable corollary of life.
博主:上帝为何物,余不知。衪启混沌宇宙所为何来,亦不得而知。于大惧大悲之际,于惊叹大美之时,余虽时而默祷静祈,然神之有无,实无把握。世有教派千万,于宇宙生死各有所持,彼此间则以谬论邪说互斥。余未能服膺于各教教义,暂无所依,却常感变化无常,人生必然。

为善作恶皆由人
Posted on September 19, 2011 by minami2011
原文:As is so often pointed out, knowledge is a two-edged weapon which can be used equally for good or evil.
博主:世人常言,学问如剑双锋利,为善作恶皆由人。

蜂无言,花不语,海敛声,地唯静
Posted on September 15, 2011 by minami2011
原文:It was a day as fresh as grass growing up and clouds going over and butterflies coming down can make it. It was a day compounded from silences of bee and flower and ocean and land, which were not silences at all, but motions, stirs, flutters, risings, fallings, each in its own time and matchless rhythm.
博主:那日,绿草萋,白云飘,彩蝶舞,日子如斯纯净;那天,蜂无言,花不语,海敛声,地唯静,日子这般沉寂。然而这并不意味着四周悄无声息,万物或动或挪、或抖或拍、或起或落,各适其时,各依其律。

无他,一笑耳
Posted on September 12, 2011 by minami2011
原文:Don’t go for looks; they can deceive. Don’t go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright.
博主:勿重容颜,容颜欺人;勿重财富,财富易散;重博君一笑者。盖能拨云见日者,无他,一笑耳。

时间推移,无以界划
Posted on September 10, 2011 by minami2011
原文:Time has no divisions to mark its passage, there is never a thunder-storm or blare of trumpets to announce the beginning of a new month or year. Even when a new century begins it is only we mortals who ring bells and fire off pistols.
博主:时间推移,无以界划。无论是月初年始,天地从不招来风雨雷暴,也不发出震天号角,以资标记。即便是世纪交替之际,敲钟呜枪的,也只有我们这些凡夫俗子。

文人作画
Posted on September 9, 2011 by minami2011
The quality called loftiness in literati painting theory refers to a perfectly balanced emotional distance, an art achieved through suggestion and not domination; implication and not explication. The artist reveals himself intuitively, but this self, however eccentric or individualistic, is rarely primal, raw, or messy, but instead is the result of conscious cultivation of character and knowledge. The ability to sail effortlessly through the administration of mundane, if important, affairs, showing the world only the cool essence of one’s personality, is a fundamental part of the scholar-official’s cultivation and survives in the literati aesthetic.
文人作画重意境,情感余白须恰到好处。其拿捏之道在引而不发,含而不露。彼等常兴之所至,写情写性。然纵有惊世骇俗、特立独行之举,却断无粗卑低俗、漫无章法之作。反之,文人之任意挥洒,实乃其苦心孤诣,修身勤学之功。于内对繁琐要事游刃有余,于外则展露自身风骨,此原为入仕文人安身立命之本,却也在文人美学中占有一席之地。

一代奇才陨落
Posted on October 7, 2011 by minami2011
原文:Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius,and the world has lost an amazing human being.Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor.Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built,and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.
博主:史蒂夫生前目光深远,匠心独运,如今斯人已逝,Apple痛失一代奇才,人间痛失一流人物, 我们这些有幸认识乔布斯先生者,有幸与其共事者则痛失可贵挚友、精神良师。史蒂夫留下了只有他这般人物才打造得出的公司,其精神将成为Apple不朽的基石。
注:一代奇才陨落,世人无不扼腕叹息。Apple公司发的公文,中港台均有中文版本,我也来个新加坡的非官方版本,以示同哀。

高度与深度
Posted on October 2, 2011 by minami2011
原文:To reach a great height a person needs to have great depth.
博主一:人生欲求骄人高度,内涵须有傲人深度。
博主二:成就若要大, 修养先得好。
注:早报周刊≪语文天空≫版 (2011年10月2日) 刊有林方伟先生的译文, 我觉得有意思, 也来凑趣。 林先生原译为: 要攀上最高点, 先从自己的深度做起。

爱的化身
Posted on November 30, 2011 by minami2011
原文:For life is the best thing we have in this existence. And if we should desire to believe in something, it should be a beacon within. This beacon being the sun, sea, and sky, our children, our work, our companions and, most simply put, the embodiment of love. ― Patti Smith
博主:因为生命为世间美之极致,如果还要生而有所信,那供奉明灯一盏即可。所谓明灯者,就是海天明日、儿女事业、良朋益友。简而言之,就是爱的化身。

苦痛如烟
Posted on November 29, 2011 by minami2011
原文:“痛苦与悲伤只是过眼云烟,只有欢乐才是永恒。” 这才是生命的真谛,也是贝多芬在尝尽人生苦难后获得的最终的人生感悟。这一刻,那个身在垂死病中,但仍然勇敢地歌唱生命、歌唱欢乐的他,已经成为了全人类心目中的“英雄。
博主日语版:
「悲しみも苦しみもあっという間に過ぎ去った雲や煙に過ぎないけれど、永遠になるのは喜びしかないのである。」これだけは、命の本質だとやっと悟ったのは、色々と苦難を経験したベートーベンであった。病気で瀕死になった時も、ベートーベンは、また命のと喜びのことを立派に歌っていた。あの時、人間は誰であっても 彼のことを英雄だと思った。
博主英语版:
“Pains and sorrow are but fleeting clouds, and eternity can be found only in happiness.” Such is the essence of life that Beethoven had come to realize after experincing a myriad of sufferings in his own life. On his death bed, Beethoven sang on gallantly in praise of life and happiness. At that very moment, he became the hero in the eyes of the entire mankind.
注:日语非我惯用语,偶一为之,终觉勉强。

无憾人生
Posted on November 16, 2011 by minami2011
原文:Live with no regrets and love with no apologies.
博主:活得无憾,爱得无悔。

感恩•忘怀
Posted on November 15, 2011 by minami2011
原文:Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one’s who don’t
博主:人生苦短,慎勿遗恨。善待你者,心怀感恩,亏待你者,转身忘怀。

Life is too ironic
Posted on November 11, 2011 by minami2011
原文:Life is too ironic. It takes sadness to know what happiness is, noise to appreciate silence and absence to value presence.
博主:未经悲哀,不知幸福,周遭喧闹,方知静好,伊人已去,才懂心疼。所谓人生,不过如此百般嘲弄。

[Edited at 2013-09-18 21:42 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

微博上看到Tean Lam Yeo Shaun去世的消息,是真的吗???

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »