Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42] >
"这一次大陆又输了"
Thread poster: deleted. (X)
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
And I understand Phil’s argument too … Oct 25, 2014

... that “Change is in the air” as an expression is entirely old hat(a dead metaphor); while Apple using it as a slogan is a mere play on words for humor(a pun), to convey the message that there are tons of innovations inside the iPad Air.

Yet I see it the same way Yueyin does:  the English slogan is great and a very clever play on words.  If it were up to me, I would choose to go for the metaphor, dead or alive, instead of the obvious.  As I said several times already, IMO,�
... See more
... that “Change is in the air” as an expression is entirely old hat(a dead metaphor); while Apple using it as a slogan is a mere play on words for humor(a pun), to convey the message that there are tons of innovations inside the iPad Air.

Yet I see it the same way Yueyin does:  the English slogan is great and a very clever play on words.  If it were up to me, I would choose to go for the metaphor, dead or alive, instead of the obvious.  As I said several times already, IMO, the main objective of Apple's advertising campaign is to create expectation and excitement.  Again, for those who are not convinced, spend some time and watch the video of their keynote.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:04
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
应该没有“在即”的意思 Oct 25, 2014

Kenneth Woo wrote:
不過恕我直言,你說那句原譯「輕輕地,改變一切」勝過我和其他幾位同仁的譯文,我不敢苟同。這倒不是說我自己的譯文如何高明,關鍵是原譯根本未體現英文主旨。「Change is in the air」表示正面的變化即將發生,大家都能感覺到,

[Edited at 2014-10-23 13:26 GMT]

in the air 用的应该不是时间上的意项,而是VISIBLE的意思,所以,“在即”不是原文的意思。看看STEVE的译文,就比较准确。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:04
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
wrong evidence for your argument Oct 25, 2014

wherestip wrote:

... As I said several times already, IMO, the main objective of Apple's advertising campaign is to create expectation and excitement.  Again, for those who are not convinced, spend some time and watch the video of their keynote.

wherestip wrote:

Apple's Advertising Campaign

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/2014-oct-event/

I recommend everyone watch the first 2 minutes of the keynote of Apple's Oct. 16th event.

Steve,

As mentioned earlier, I'm still totally impartial on the different versions of the Chinese translation for "Change is in the Air", but I watched the video you suggested. The first two minutes is clearly about the Sept. event (with caption clearly stated as September 2014) which was actually the launch of iPhone 6 and 6+. It has the slogan "Bigger than Bigger". All the excitement belongs to iPhone 6 and 6+, while you thought it is for iPad Air 2 whose slogan is "Change is in the Air" - the subject you and the friends are debating about.

If you watch it carefully, the introduction of iPad Air 2 is almost half way in the nearly 80-minute video stream. It is not even given the priority to be upfront to reflect the two-minute clipping of global excitement.

Or, did I watch the wrong video?

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 18:04
English to Chinese
试试 Oct 25, 2014

Change is in the Air.

巨变来临,依旧轻轻

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Right video Oct 25, 2014

David Lin wrote:

wherestip wrote:

... As I said several times already, IMO, the main objective of Apple's advertising campaign is to create expectation and excitement.  Again, for those who are not convinced, spend some time and watch the video of their keynote.

wherestip wrote:

Apple's Advertising Campaign

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/2014-oct-event/

I recommend everyone watch the first 2 minutes of the keynote of Apple's Oct. 16th event.

Steve,

As mentioned earlier, I'm still totally impartial on the different versions of the Chinese translation for "Change is in the Air", but I watched the video you suggested. The first two minutes is clearly about the Sept. event (with caption clearly stated as September 2014) which was actually the launch of iPhone 6 and 6+. It has the slogan "Bigger than Bigger". All the excitement belongs to iPhone 6 and 6+, while you thought it is for iPad Air 2 whose slogan is "Change is in the Air" - the subject you and the friends are debating about.

If you watch it carefully, the introduction of iPad Air 2 is almost half way in the nearly 80-minute video stream. It is not even given the priority to be upfront to reflect the two-minute clipping of global excitement.

No, you watched the right video all right.

It wasn't meant as any "evidence". It was to get a feel of the excitement of Apple's advertising campaigns. The 1st 2 minutes were footage of the September global launch and reception of the iPhone6 and iPhone6+, played in front of the audience at the beginning of the Oct. 16 event, during which new products including the iPad Air 2 were unveiled. Anyone with a brain could see that. No mistake.

BTW, the iPad Air 2 only started to arrive in some of the Apple Stores and some other retail stores 2 or 3 days ago here in the U.S.. I might be old, compared to you young people that is; but I'm not senile.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/10/24/apple-ipad-2-air-now-available-in-stores/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/18502/20141024/ipad-air-2-ipad-mini-3-hit-apple-stores-unannounced-heres-how-you-can-get-yours-today.htm

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ipad-air-2-and-ipad-mini-3-arrive-apple-stores/

[Edited at 2014-10-26 11:31 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 20:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
Build Buzz Oct 26, 2014

APPLE LIVE: iPad Air 2, Apple Pay, new Macs debut
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_26763330/apple-live-ipad-air-2-apple-pay-new

CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) — Apple unveiled a thinner iPad Thursday with a faster processor and a better camera as it tries to drive excitement for tablets amid slowing demand.

The iPad Air 2, at 6.1 millimeters "thin," also adds many of the features previously available on iPhones. That includes the ability to take burst shots and slow-motion video and the inclusion of a fingerprint ID sensor for use instead of a passcode. It also has an anti-reflective coating, a first for a tablet, which makes it 56 percent less reflective, said Philip Schiller, senior vice president of marketing, on stage at the event at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California.

Launch like Steve Jobs:
7 Ways to Build Buzz for Your Next Product Launch

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/product-launch-strategies/

[Edited at 2014-10-26 00:10 GMT]

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
Local time: 08:04
English to Chinese
謝謝各位指教。 Oct 26, 2014

謝謝 Loise、Fargoer、Steve 前輩、Jyuan 等指教,說得都有道理。

就 Change is in the Air 這句廣告詞而言(Air 首字母大寫),不考慮這關那關,也可譯成:

Ipad Air 2,變在其中。

or

Ipad Air 2,變寓其中。

[Edited at 2014-10-26 00:45 GMT]

Loise
Loise
France
Local time: 01:04
French to Chinese
+ ...
双关 Oct 26, 2014

wherestip wrote:
字面: Air 内部性能改变
寓意: 人们期盼等待

Steve,
我同意你的解释,这样的解释很合理。Air 内部性能改变是一个既成的事实,这个消息渐渐传开了,人们期待亲眼见到这个事实,或期待拥有它。

Loise
Loise
France
Local time: 01:04
French to Chinese
+ ...
明天就在你的手中 Oct 26, 2014

奇怪的是,很多国家的ipad air 2的广告版本是“明天就在你的手中”,难道是它的ad campaign有另一个版本?

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
presentation video Oct 26, 2014

wherestip wrote:

David Lin wrote:

Steve,

No, you watched the right video all right.

It wasn't meant as any "evidence". It was to get a feel of the excitement of Apple's advertising campaigns. The 1st 2 minutes was footage of the September global launch and reception of the iPhone6 and iPhone6+, played in the auditorium at the beginning of the Oct. 16 event, during which new products including the iPad Air 2 were unveiled. Anyone with a brain could see that. No mistake.

Btw, the iPad Air 2 only started to arrive in some of the Apple Stores and some other retail stores 2 or 3 days ago here in the U.S.. I might be old, compared to you young people that is; but I'm not senile.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt explanation. Sorry I was watching the comedy "The Accidental Husband" when watching the Apple video. The characters were hysterical so a bit distracted.

BTW, I expected to see global "excitement" about iPad Air 2 rather than iPhone 6 in the two-minute video since you stress the importance of "excitement" element in "Change in the Air". With that in mind, I thought the countdowns / buildup should be for iPad Air 2 rather than iPhone 6 & 6+.

Of course, when the video was used as the "opener" in a stage presentation (to recap the "success" of iPhone 6 around the world), it served an entirely different purpose. It did not mean for building world excitement for iPad Air 2 per se, much less to match its slogan "Change is in the Air", but merely for the Oct. 16 stage presentation in which iPad Air 2 was introduced after about 45 minutes.

Btw, our discussion has nothing to do with anyone's age - mine or you. It's also hard to know anyone's age (or even possibly gender) in online platforms like forums. I believe many of us keep the good Chinese tradition of respecting senior friends 敬老, although I must say I didn't notice many faces of "old" people in the video either - be it for iPhone or iPad.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
明天就在你的手中 Oct 26, 2014

Loise wrote:

IMO, the "future" meaning might be derived from the metaphoric side of the slogan, while the "in your hands" meaning, the literal side. So my guess is the different versions by different languages were all based on the same original "Change is in the Air", but a lot more thought and skill were invested by these languages to bind both the literal and the figurative.

BTW, I'm glad that we agree on the interpretation of the original English slogan.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
消费者口味 Oct 26, 2014

Loise wrote: 明天就在你的手中

其他国家语文译成 “明天就在你的手中” 的意思挺好的。除了有 “掌握明天” (其实也是人类对新科学技术的普遍期望)及积极性的意味之外,也同时推广 iPad Air 2 的广大且优越的性能。

由于消费及人民文化与北美不同,可能欧洲及其他国家如亚洲及南美洲有自己的营销计划,翻译重点都会出现少许差异,以配合当地消费者口味也不一定。

一点几乎可以肯定,这些全部都以跨国企业商业牟利为目的,所以很难说那个 slogan 好或不好。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Forum discussions Oct 26, 2014

David Lin wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt explanation. Sorry I was watching the comedy "The Accidental Husband" when watching the Apple video. The characters were hysterical so a bit distracted.

BTW, I expected to see global "excitement" about iPad Air 2 rather than iPhone 6 in the two-minute video since you stress the importance of "excitement" element in "Change in the Air". With that in mind, I thought the countdowns / buildup should be for iPad Air 2 rather than iPhone 6 & 6+.

Of course, when the video was used as the "opener" in a stage presentation (to recap the "success" of iPhone 6 around the world), it served an entirely different purpose. It did not mean for building world excitement for iPad Air 2 per se, much less to match its slogan "Change is in the Air", but merely for the Oct. 16 stage presentation in which iPad Air 2 was introduced after about 45 minutes.

Btw, our discussion has nothing to do with anyone's age - mine or you. It's also hard to know anyone's age (or even possibly gender) in online platforms like forums. I believe many of us keep the good Chinese tradition of respecting senior friends 敬老, although I must say I didn't notice many faces of "old" people in the video either - be it for iPhone or iPad.

It's okay, David. No harm done.

IMO, that's what makes virtual discussions more difficult compared to the ones conducted face-to-face. One word missing without any facial expression or without the aid of one's tone of voice, and the meaning could be easily misconstrued.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
eye contact and smilies Oct 26, 2014

wherestip wrote:

It's okay, David. No harm done.

IMO, that's what makes virtual discussions more difficult compared to the ones conducted face-to-face. One word missing without any facial expression or without the aid of one's tone of voice, and the meaning could be easily misconstrued.

Thanks Steve. Indeed. Without eye contact, it takes online posters more thoughtfulness and care about the other person/s feelings when writing a response. I personally treat everyone in the Forum as an individual and all equal, regardless of language, age, gender and where you come from, plus to follow the good Chinese tradition of respecting senior friends.

Speaking of "facial expression", what do you think about the dark green "laughing" smilie ? In Chinese culture we associate green face 青面 with 獠牙, which is a ghost's face - be it a smiling one or a laughing one.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
青面獠牙 Oct 26, 2014

David Lin wrote:

Speaking of "facial expression", what do you think about the dark green "laughing" smilie ? In Chinese culture we associate green face 青面 with 獠牙, which is a ghost's face - be it a smiling one or a laughing one.

Hmm, that never occurred to me. Actually, the green color doesn't bother me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"这一次大陆又输了"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »