应该就是这样的排列方式。我最后选择了直译,虽然读起来有点啰嗦。

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
Local time: 23:00
English to Chinese
just for what it's worth Sep 17, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

The bottles were put into 2 shippers in alternate positions of one up and one down.

这里一个运输盒里放若干个瓶子,瓶子里乘装着液体。我对这里的alternate positions of one up and one down有些迷惑,我理解的是瓶子以一个向上一个向下的交替位置码放在盒子里,还有一种理解是两个包装盒一上一下交替放置,不知哪个对,望指教。谢谢!

I take it to mean the bottles were put into 2 shippers (and) in alternate positions of one up and one down.

不妨譯成:瓶子分置於兩運輸盒中,正倒交替放置。

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
思维 Sep 17, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

The bottles were put into 2 shippers in alternate positions of one up and one down.

这里一个运输盒里放若干个瓶子,瓶子里乘装着液体。我对这里的alternate positions of one up and one down有些迷惑,我理解的是瓶子以一个向上一个向下的交替位置码放在盒子里,还有一种理解是两个包装盒一上一下交替放置,不知哪个对,望指教。谢谢!

才"两个包装盒",如何能够“一上一下交替放置”?放得稳吗?这个句子只能是第一种理解。
理解句子,不光需要语法知识,还需要逻辑思维和/或形象思维。

[修改时间: 2014-09-17 14:52 GMT]

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 17, 2014

Kenneth Woo wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

I take it to mean the bottles were put into 2 shippers (and) in alternate positions of one up and one down.

这样译比较简洁。谢谢Kenneth!

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
源文有问题 Sep 17, 2014

我明白了,这句话的源文本身写得不够清晰,容易引起歧义。如果是一个盒子,当然没问题;如果是两个盒子,就让人犹豫一下;如果有三个或更多的盒子,就更迷惑了。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
問題是: Sep 17, 2014

盆子這樣上下交替

AA
VV

還是瓶子這樣上下交替

AV
VA

[Edited at 2014-09-17 18:17 GMT]

Ying Wang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
本意 Sep 17, 2014

pkchan wrote:

盆子這樣上下交替

AA
VV

還是瓶子這樣上下交替

AV
VA

[Edited at 2014-09-17 18:17 GMT]

源文本意是瓶子呈

AVAV

[Edited at 2014-09-18 03:19 GMT]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
原文應寫成: Sep 17, 2014

The bottles, in alternate positions of one up and one down, were put into 2 shippers.

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
for discussion Sep 18, 2014

IMHO, in terms of which were put in alternate positions, the sentence is pretty clear.

Maybe native speakers can comment on this? Wheretip 前輩, Rita and Phil?

[Edited at 2014-09-18 00:52 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
知道瓶子和运输盒的样子就不需要改写 Sep 18, 2014

pkchan wrote:

The bottles, in alternate positions of one up and one down, were put into 2 shippers.

瓶子是有头有尾的,运输盒则上下不分,无论怎么拿总有部分瓶子往上、部分瓶子往下。业内人士应该会知道,所以虽然句子语法有歧义,但目标读者从来不会理解错。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Alternate positions Sep 18, 2014

Yes, indeed. I currently work for a company here in Canada where we have a shipping floor at the back -here we are talking about glass bottles in positions of AVAV. This stands the same for paper products (the company i work for uses paper as the main material for its products). What they do is often end to front, front to end etc when it comes to packaging. Doing this will limit space required inside the actual packaging, and also stacking up these items will help secure the the actual item ins... See more
Yes, indeed. I currently work for a company here in Canada where we have a shipping floor at the back -here we are talking about glass bottles in positions of AVAV. This stands the same for paper products (the company i work for uses paper as the main material for its products). What they do is often end to front, front to end etc when it comes to packaging. Doing this will limit space required inside the actual packaging, and also stacking up these items will help secure the the actual item inside the box.

Therefore, depending on who your audience is, I am sure it'll be intrinsically understood that the bottles are, in essence, stacked up in AVAV format.

That being said, of course, remaining loyal to the source is important, but my personal opinion is no need to dwell all too much on it - all the suggestions provided here are valuable input.
Collapse

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 09:00
English to Chinese
倒置 Sep 18, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

我明白了,这句话的源文本身写得不够清晰,容易引起歧义。如果是一个盒子,当然没问题;如果是两个盒子,就让人犹豫一下;如果有三个或更多的盒子,就更迷惑了。

这种歧义是可以用常识排除的。

用于运输的包装盒,有些是可以倒置的,有些则不可以倒置。后者通常有特殊的标记提醒搬运人员。假如瓶子在运输盒内同方向摆放,运输盒就有了上下倒正之分。这种情况下往往会写请勿倒置的标记。要求这样的盒子一上一下地摆放,岂不是违背常理?所以,AVAV 只能是指瓶子。

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
稍作修改 Sep 18, 2014

Kenneth Woo wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

瓶子正倒交替放置,装在兩運輸盒中。

[Edited at 2014-09-18 04:49 GMT]

Kenneth Woo
Kenneth Woo
China
English to Chinese
Both OK, IMHO. : ) Sep 18, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

Kenneth Woo wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

瓶子正倒交替放置,装在兩運輸盒中。

[Edited at 2014-09-18 04:49 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
这个例子说明背景知识对于翻译的重要性 Sep 18, 2014

不少的时候,单凭语言知识的确无法有把握地理解原文。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请帮忙看一下这句话的理解

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »